“Great innkeepers, but poor sleeping conditions.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn of the Shenandoah

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
The Inn of the Shenandoah
You added The Inn of the Shenandoah to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   138 East Main Street, Luray, VA 22835 (Formerly The Victorian Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Great innkeepers, but poor sleeping conditions.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Feeling so sleep deprived after just one night, but then had a 3 night stay and was exhausted by the end of our mini-vacation. I can't say enough praise for the Innkeeper Ann, and the chef Larry, and also Gloria. They did everything to make our stay wonderful. From the complementary wine, sodas, water and snacks and the multiple course gourmet breakfasts to the casual social time on the front porch, the on-site staff are top notch in service. However, the B&B building itself has negative issues. First of all it is on main street and only blocks from the fire station and the railroad tracks. This means noise 24 hours a day including train whistles every 45 minutes all night long! The old(thin glass) windows and walls do not filter out noise from the outside or from the adjoining rooms. We both used earplugs and still struggled to find sufficient quiet for sleep. Then there is the actual accommodations. The beautiful rooms are wonderful for viewing and the towels and sheets were soft; however; the bed in the Orchid room is HARD, not just firm, but extremely hard, like sleeping on the floor. When we asked why they didn't at least buy a mattress topper for it, we were told that the owners wouldn't provide funds for any improvements. That is just incredible, and if they had ever tried to sleep in the bed or the that room they would understand our complaint about not being able to sleep in there. Besides the noise and the rock-hard bed, the thermostat for the rooms was located in a shared hall at the top of the stairwell; thus when the bedroom doors were closed (most of the time) the rooms would not get the benefit of having the thermostat. If it were winter it might be alright since we had a space heater in the very large bath/dressing room and also a gas heater/fireplace in the bed room. But it was mid-May and very hot, thus the lack of air conditioning being used in the first floor of the house just billowed hot air from downstairs to the upstairs, and since the room did not have a ceiling fan, it was hot, humid and noisy, and with a bed like a rock, it was three nights of little sleep for us. Which is a shame because Larry, Ann and Gloria did everything to make our stay wonderful and gave recommendations for places to go and visit and to eat. They do what they can with the funds the owner's allow them to have to run it. At least the meals were special. Our breakfasts were the highlight of our stay. Coffee and tea and orange juice, mini-muffins, omelettes, waffles, fresh fruit plates, sausages and bacon, asparagus, and in generous amounts! Not necessarily the healthiest breakfast if you are heart health conscious, but definitely a great start to a day of hiking or museum visits. Also note that the dining room is on the first floor just outside the kitchen. Without the benefit of air conditioning being used or ceiling fans, it became very hot while eating the breakfasts and though the staff was wonderful, they also looked as if the heat was bothering them too. If we had been able to sleep with comfort then I could have given this B&B and the staff a 5 with no reservations, however, with the multiple issues, heat, noise, hard bed, preventing even a partial night of sleep, I can at best give it a 3 as sleep is what is needed the most when you travel and plan to have a day of vigorous hiking. I hope the owners read this and pay attention that they won't get repeat visitors if they don't do something to make the room comfortable for sleeping.

Room Tip: Avoid the Orchid room.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Manchester, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This B&B was a very nice little surprise!! The hosts, Anne, Lary and Janine were absolutely wonderful. Very friendly and wanting to please. The house was beautiful, the room was quiet, private & clean. Lary did a wonderful job with presenting our breakfast each day - delicious :) We are looking forward to another visit over the fall.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This B&B is wonderful. The hosts, Larry, Ann and Gloria, went the whole 9 yards to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The breakfasts are home cooked, a different menu everyday (and we stayed 7 days) and completely delicious, my favourite was the Eggs Benedict. The room was spacious with a very clean shower room and a snug with a sofa and TV.
We really felt like The Inn was a 'home from home' and we spent many enjoyable hours on the balcony (often with a glass wine!) and the front porch. Nothing was too much trouble including sorting out a taxi so we could attend a wedding, providing plates, cutlery etc so we could 'picnic' and lots of useful advice on places to go and things to see. When we return to Luray we will be staying here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Upon arrival we were greeted by the Inn Keeper Ms. Ann, she stole my heart! The tour of the house was perfect she showed everything that was open to use and explained the need to knows, places to eat and things to do all by the time she concluded the tour.

She left herself asscessible for questions and needs if needed and was the perfect host. Being my first time in a B&B I was not sure of what to expect.

What you can expect from this place is like being at home surrounded by friends with none of the hostess responsibility. No one was a stranger for longer then 2 seconds Ms. Ann seen to that; everyone in this town was so nice and easy to talk to. Other visitors were so nice and a joy to hold conversations with over breakfast.

The food was amazing my favorite two things were the waffles and the biscuits! I was so sad to have only stayed for two days because each day was a new breakfast!

The room was magnificent!!! The jetted tub was fab and the rooms were homey and easy to get comfortable in. The house all throughout was spotless the beds comfortable bathrooms cleaned well stocked. In our room I believe was the willow had a sitting area for TV with a mini electric fire place that produced heat if you wanted or just something to look at or both. I hate the TV being on while I sleep so that separation was perfect for me.

I went with a friend and I cannot wait to experience this with my love on a kid free visit.

You won't know unless you go how great this staff is everyone from the kitchen to those who tidy up. I never thought I would make friends on a vacation but I will miss them all until I see them again!

110% recommended. I can't wait to go back to my second home!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in April 2015. It was exactly what we needed! The staff was so nice and welcoming. Ann and Larry were there to greet us and made us feel so welcomed. The breakfast each day was amazing and well needed for a day of hiking and such in the beautiful Shenandoah. I would definitely recommend to anyone!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chantilly, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2015

Ann and Gloria were awesome. They were extremely accomodating, going above and beyond what you would expect. Because we booked our room for the beginning of the week and it was during the off-season, no one else was staying at the B&B and we were upgraded to their best room. The rooms are all extremely comfortable, have private, coded access to a private balcony and the two-person Jacuzzi was perfect for a romantic getaway. The Inn is right on Main Street, within walking distance of all of the shops in downtown Luray and a short drive from the Caverns and several restaurants.
We loved our stay and definitely plan on making a return trip.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

I stayed at the Inn during the last week of January 2015 to attend a retirement party. The Inn was immaculate, clean and very beautiful. It's situated right in the downtown area so it's within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The room itself was very large, with a big two person whirlpool bath. After a long day, it felt great to relax in the tub with a bottle of wine that was left in the room.

The best part though was the breakfast. It was simply superb and so delicious. The inn keeper and her assistant were so generous, nice and were always very accommodating. If I ever find myself back in Luray, VA I will be sure to stay here again.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Been to The Inn of the Shenandoah? Share your experiences!