“Great experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.

Shenandoah River Outfitters, Inc.
6502 S. Page Valley Road, Luray, VA 22835
800 6canoe2
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 11 Outdoor Activities in Luray
10 attraction reviews
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

First time in the Shenandoah river, but n I t in whitewater experience. Rented a canoe with my husband and 7 year old girl. The staff is great, however they don't seemed take special attention to safety. After you pay they tell you what to fo and you kinda do it yourself without any help. You take your own paddle, get your own life vest, and run around to look for somebody to help you or answer you question. Then they let you watch a safety video which they told us is up to us if we want to watch it. The white water canoeing experience qas freat though.

Visited July 2013

Brunswick, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Shenandoah River Outfitters are the best we have ever used”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I bring small to large groups on kayak trips on the Shenandoah River, and, afwer trying various outfitters, we settled on Shenandoah River Outfitters as the best one for us. It is family-owned, and all the staff there are very caring and careful in making sure we have all we need. They are also flexible with our needs. and then they have steak dinners after the trips where we have delicious meals after an all-day paddle. I just brought a group of 70 kayakerts there and they were superb in how they treated us. I recommend them completely.

Visited June 2013
22 attraction reviews
“Good Canoe Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We rented a canoe from Shenandoah River Outfitters and had a nice time on the river. They provide equipment and training as well for those who need it. The provided equipment was in very good shape. On the river the different stops are well marked and easy to see. The staff were all very friendly, knowledgeable and responsive.

Visited June 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Wouldn't even give it a one. Was awful and gross!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at the Falcon Crest Cabin and will never go back or recommend to anyone. This place was gross and hard to get to. There is nothing to do around it so if you are looking for a clean, smoke free place with access to river this is not the place to rent. I emailed the owners to let them know about the conditions of the cabin and never received a response from them. Here is what I sent them:

First of all, I was not expecting to find a hotel room. I travel often and have stayed in many places and I love the rustic peaceful vibe of staying in a cabin. After reading the description of your cabins and considering the cost to rent them, I was expecting at least a clean place with all the things needed to spend a nice relaxing weekend in the mountains. Unfortunately that is not what we found when we arrived at the Falcon Crest Cabin.

Our first impression was not the best when we opened the door and the cabin stunk of cigarette smoke, so strong we didn't want to bring our clothes in. It would be nice if your description of the cabin said smoking was allowed so people know what to expect before they rent it.

After bringing in some of our belongings we decide to check out the rest of the cabin. We go into the room with the jacuzzi and realized the room smelled of cigarettes even more than the rest of the cabin. Honestly, I don't know how anybody, including smokers, could stay in that room longer than a few minutes. BUT our biggest disappointment and the reason we didn't feel like staying or even touching anything in the cabin was the used condom we found in that jacuzzi tub room, yes a USED CONDOM. Now I would like for you to put yourself in my shoes. Imagine you pay over 400$ to spend a nice relaxing weekend in a cabin and you get to one of the rooms and find a used condom. You immediately question (at least I did) if the owners ever come in to clean the cabin. Do you think it is unreasonable for me to be upset because I was expecting at least a clean cabin and within 15 minutes of entering the place I find something that disgusting?

After the disgusting experience in the jacuzzi room, which we never used by the way, we decide to continue exploring the rest of the cabin. It was not surprising that the rest of the cabin wasn't that clean either. I was expecting a certain amount of dust because it is the mountains and we were in the middle of nowhere however I did not expect to find a bed full of dog hair. Again, immediately made me question if that bedding got washed before we got in that cabin.

Alabama
6 attraction reviews
“Canoeing the Shenandoah River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family rented two canoes from SRO in October and did a six mile paddle on the scenic Shenandoah river. It was a great experience and SRO does an excellent job. We saw eagle nests, tons of fish, and even cattle in the water. Beautiful views and awesome fall color. Nice current to help you along and many class one rocky rapids. We were done earlier than expected so we had to wait 30 minutes for SRO to pick us up. Important note - cell phones do not work at the take out point!

Visited October 2012