“Not a Best Western Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   40105 Sierra Drive, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Bear Valley
“Not a Best Western Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

This is not a motel of the Best Western Chain as one reviewer submitted. "Western" on their sign appears in same colors as Best Western, and perhaps it was one at one time, I don't know. The nice rooms are on the South side facing the river. If you get a second story, you can see over the rock "levee" surrounding the motel and see the canyon the river runs in, but not the river itself. The exterior of this building seemed to have just been repainted and it and the grounds looked pleasant. These rooms have a balcony which made good Moon and Star gazing in the evening. The bath had some plumbing issues like all motels seem to these days. The sink, if filled would overflow on to floor through the overflow orfice. The showerhead was plugged with deposits and the ceiling vent fan did not work. The WiFi system is not updated to work with MS Vista operating system, but XP will work.
It was impossible to run all three electrical appliances at once, microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator, were plugged into a strip type multi plug and the circuit breaker would open if any two were turned on. The closest restaurant, up the canyon about 1/4 mile, the Cider Mill, had horrid food, at least what we ordered; Chicken salad and Salmon. The "We Three" further up had a wonderful breakfast. I don't believe I'd stay there again, but choices in the area are scarce, at the lower prices.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

The Western Holiday is basically a dump with a decent lobby. The room had an overwhelming perfume smell - I located and removed an electronic perfume device. The refrigerator int he room was loud and had to be unplugged at night for us to sleep. The air conditioner was loud and kept cycling on and off causing wild temperature swings.

The front desk personnel either lacked knowledge about the local area or lacked any desire to be helpful.

If you find yourself without an in park reservation to Sequoia try almost anywhere else before you resort to the Western.

• Liked — Location near Sequoia National park
  • Disliked — Everythging else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WesternHolidayLodge, Management at Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers, responded to this review, September 10, 2008
Dear Mr. Fishman,

We apologize for the discomfort you may have experienced during your stay with us. Also, we would like to thank you for taking your time to make a comment about our establishment. We understand that you had a few grievences from your stay, and we have taken time to look into these issues to make sure that these experiences are not shared by future guests.

The scented wall plug-in was an addition as a result of previous guests' recommendations and as a result of your dislike, we have decided to look into a less invasive form of fragrance for the rooms.

The air-conditioning unit, used in your room was a week old and cycling because of the extreme heat from our climate, so unfortunately this could not have been avoided.

We have also worked with our staff to make sure that they are providing the best customer service possible to make guests feel welcome. The front desk clerk that administered the "unfriendly" service was new to the business and did not understand the necessity for extroverted hospitality.

So, we thank you for giving us an idea of what we can do in order to better our hotel for our future guests.

Sinerely,

Management
Western Holiday Lodge
las vegas, nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

After reading recent reviews for this place, it appeared that, all-in-all, the motel was clean, friendly, if not a little run down, and offered room rates accordingly. So, I checked rates at several on-line travel sites. Not surprisingly, rates varied, for the same dates, by about $10/night for the same type of room. Keep in mind, the guest does, in fact, pay for travel agent fees. Most such agents charge 15% of the room rate (less taxes), some charge as much as 20%, and a very few charge 10%. The travel agent is paid directly by the property, and the guest never knows how much of the room rate went to the agent. Many places will, if contacted directly, reduce the price of the room by some, if not all, of their contracted commission to agents. Agents of course, frown on this, and some maintain contracts prohibiting properties from discounting. However, usually throughout what is referred to as "season" in the lodging business, a property will not discount its "rack" or specified rate, even if contacted directly. It's like getting an extra 15 - 20 percent for the room. Which brings me to my point at this place. I booked 3 nights through "Hotels.com" at $114.95/night + taxes. At check in, the desk clerk, who was pleasent, confirmed my rate of $114.95. The room was O.K., and the most recent reviews on tripadvisor were spot on; clean, refurnished a couple of years ago, about a thousand gallons of paint spread around, but tired, and in need of a major makeover. And for some reason (cost?), the really small whirlpool had a sign taped to the wall reading; "Please don't use the spa". I asked the receptionist if it was broken, and if so, (as I consider the whirlpool important in selecting a property), to reduce my rate. Amazingly(!!!), she flipped a switch, came out to the pool, and tore up the sign. The spa worked just fine. At check out, the receptionist didn't bother to ask "how was your stay"; or anything else. I was mearly handed a receipt, and told that my Amex card had "already been charged". In a hurry, I left to get on the road to my next destination, where I checked my receipt. I was charged $114.95 for my first night; and $144.95 for each of the other two nights, plus taxes. I called the hotel immediatly, and was told to call back "later". I refused, and was placed "on hold" for 17 minutes. I could hear the conversation between the desk clerks, and heard one say "...we put that rate on the res..." I hung up, and called Hotels.com. They told me my reservation was "cancelled" in advance of my stay, and there was nothing they could do. I never cancelled my reservation, and it was, in fact, reserved under the Hotels.com confirmation number at check in. I suspect that the property may have had somthing to do with this. Cancel a reservation made by a travel agent, then re-book it yourself, and keep the commission. Who knows? I also contacted American Express, having my printed confirmation letter, with confirmed room rate. This would be a no brainer. I then called the property back. The "manager" told me the rate was the rate, when I shot back that I have a printed confirmation letter, and that American Express has been contacted, and that I will make mention of this on "Tripadvisor" as well as other travel sites. Only then was I told that I will receive my refund of $66. Do not take anything for granted at this, or any other "mom and pop" place.

• Liked — Pillows were surprisingly comfortable.
  • Disliked — Problem with room rate; should have been handled in a frinedly manner; it was not
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Here at the Western Holiday Lodge, we work together as a cohesive family. Although we are not related, we work together in such a manner to ensure that we can speak openly with eachother. Being that we are a "mom and pop" type of business, we must convey that we do not perform tasks in a corporate manner. We take time to research things, and act after having an informed understanding of the situation.

We apologize that asking to call you back after looking into the situation was not acceptable for you, however the manager was sick in the bathroom and could not immediately come to the phone. Which was the cause of the wait time. We understand your being frustrated that we couldn't offer an immediate response to your grevance.

While this was a bad experience for both you as well as our front desk clerks who were a little traumatized. We have set forth new policies as to what our clerks should do if this would occur again.

Once again, thank you for your views. We now have new policies and have worked together to make sure all guests' concerns are brought to finality without anger.

Management
Western Holiday Lodge
florida keys
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

this place is a perfect find (especially after getting ripped off inside the park). we stayed there after visiting the parks. it has it all, in room internet, pool, breakfast, laundry and much more. the rooms were fine and the price was right, the family/ staff was exceptional and wanted to make our stay perfect. there is a sweet river right behind the property(i saw someone catch fish). we hung out in/at the river for hours. the pool is very nice. there is a nice playground, basketball court, horseshoes and tetherball. we cooked some tbones in the bar b q and ate at the picnic tables under sweet shade trees. its a good place for the family. we even stayed an extra day so we could hang out and enjoy the extra ammenities availible. i cant say enough about this place.
thank you western holiday lodge in three rivers, i appreciate it

• Liked — the river and the playground/ picnic area and service
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
stockton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

The hotel is magnificent. We wouldn't have thought the rooms were going to be so clean, but they were. It was not run-down or anything. Also the lobby clerks are very friendly, cheerful, and helpful. we will come again and we recomend this place for any family that would like to have a good time. it is also very convienal when you are going to the Sequoi Park and Kings Canyon.

Stayed June 2008
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

This place seemed nice enough at first. It's an older building, that needs a lot of little things fixed. The tub drain stopper didn't work well, and I had to fix the sink drain stopper. I only had to tighten a screw, no big deal. The bedding and room was clean, but there were these little moths in various places all over the room. I was upgraded to a larger room which was nice. And every room has a fridge.

• Liked — cheapest place in town
  • Disliked — wish it was closer to the park.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel using it as a base to visit the nearby National Parks. We were so pleased with the accommodation that I assured the owner I would review it on Expedia/Tripadvisor.

Our stay at the hotel was very good. We had a spacious, clean room and the continental breakfast, as described by other reviewers on this site, was of a high standard, especially the waffles!

Our room had a lovely view of the surrounding countryside and we also had a small patio area where we could sit and relax.

A levy has been built recently to prevent flooding in the spring thaw and this obscured the view of the river from the patio but not worth complaining about. You can walk forty metres from the patio and still get the view.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. When we were leaving the owners described us as being almost like family. Maybe we were lucky with the room we were allocated but based on my experience I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to my friends. Good value.

David
N. Ireland

Stayed April 2008

Been to Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers? Share your experiences!