“Wonderful views” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Nevada, NV
“Wonderful views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

In August, I stayed at Western Holiday Lodge in Three Rivers, CA. This was a Holiday Inn so not much has changed except it is now owned by Magnuson Hotels. It's has a two story and one story building. Rooms are large. I stayed on the 2nd floor (may not of had an elevator). My room had a electric fireplace, medium sized balcony, mini refrigerator and microwave. There was a small view of the lake.

It has many extras: basketball court, guest Bar-B-Que pit. Several couples in the evening would sit out on the swing, eat and enjoy the great views. The entrance to the Sequoia National Park is very near by. Phone 559-561-4119 takes AAA

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We booked this hotel for a 3 day stay because AAA rated it. It has a pool, playground (a single swing and tether ball), BBQ (not well maintained), kitchenette's (a small refrigerator with a microwave sitting ontop). Checking in we saw the pool, which was crystal clear and would have been inviting if it had been heated. Apparently there was a recent fire in the office so check in was a hotel room converted into the office. Continental breakfast would be in the room next door. We walked into our room and was immediately bombarded with a musty odor. Our beds did not look "safe", as I was prepared to pull out our sleeping bags and lay them on top. We were still trusting AAA, after all, if AAA has it in their tour books and travel maps, how bad could it get? We turned on the air conditioner and left for a few hours of daylight in the Park. Upon returning for the night we stopped in a couple of hotels that were much closer to the park to see if they had any openings, as well as get their impression of their other sister local hotel. Boy, did we get an earfull. After reading the other reviews on TripAvisor, I can see why. I did not want to take the chance of returning home with an infestation of any critters, compounded with our already weary feeling when we checked in. We booked another hotel and returned to WHL to cancel our stay and get a refund. Mind you, we did not even sit down on the bed. We had checked in at 4:30, and it was at around 9:30 that we returned. The night clerk needed to call her onsite manager for approval for the credit. She declined to refund our fees. We insisited on speaking with the manager and was told that she had left the premises. Really? Within a minute or two the manager was no longer available. Only alternative is to call the credit card company and dispute the charge. Luckily we do have a check in time and check out time on our receipt showing that we did not even "stay" in the room for more than 5 hours. We should have known when we pulled in and only saw one car in the whole parking lot. Should have read my TripAdvisor first! I do not recommend and most definitely not AAA material.

Room Tip: Do not stop, drive past and never look back.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Amstelveen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Picked this hotel because it wasn't expensive and close to the Sequoia Parc. Room was quite big and ok. Staff was friendly and helpfull. Breakfast room was very small due to a recent fire but should be ok soon. Internet only worked outside room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We ended up staying at this hotel because our other arrangements turned out to have been misrepresented (it was quite a trip!). While we were pleased they could accommodate us (two rooms for two small children and three adults), that was the only pleasant thing about our stay. We were in the area during a hot time (over 90 each day) and the air conditioning (room units) barely functioned. In addition, they were turned off by housekeeping for the entire day while we were out, allowing the rooms to reach well over 100 degrees (a temperature for which the units were unable to compensate). My children's feet were completely blackened by the ground in dirt in the carpets within 10 minutes of having taken their shoes off in the room. The "playground" consists of one functioning swing surrounded by a missing and a broken swing and the pool was not clean (cloudy and greenish due I assume to algae). The river is only visible in areal views of the hotel, and not directly from the rooms (there is large embankment just outside the hotel rooms and the river is beyond and at a lower elevation). AVOID this property. Manager was unhelpful and rude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel has 2 different room types, to the right the standert rooms and to the left the so called luxury rooms...we had the luxury room #527 with mountain view. The rooms are very outdated, the wallpaper comes off on a few spots and stains on ceiling and walls due to older water leaks. The air condition knobs didn't work and the TV had 8 channels which we really didn't care for much. The mattress was bad though it was to soft and dipped in the middle. The balcony overviewing the mountain was big and the view was really nice. The location was great about 10 minutes to the Sequia National Park entrance. Gas was expensive and there are no food stores around within 30 miles. So go shopping before you hit out there. We had a good time since we only stayed in the hotel to sleep and spend the whole day in the park.
Overall good experience.

• Stayed September 2011
Dublin,CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

One word...BEDBUGS!!! We were fooled by the decent reviews on yelp.com and the attractive pricing. Upon arrival we found a very small and incredibly dingy room. It had a strange odor and my daughter's bare feet became black from the filthy carpet. I had a really bad feeling, but figured with it being a holiday weekend our chances of finding another place to stay were slim to none.

Just after getting the DD's to sleep we turned on the lights and there were bedbugs crawling all over our bed. I told my husband that we had to get out of here and he went to deal with management and I quickly packed everything up. The manager actually asked to see the bedbugs which seemed sort of strange. He tried to offer us another room, which I was certainly not interested in. He did credit us and we were charged nothing for our "stay."

Now we have to contend with the possibility that our luggage is infested with bedbugs/their eggs.

So much of this hotel shows lack of repair from the abandoned car with flat tires in the parking lot, to sheets missing hems and the bizarre attempt to paint over partially removed wall-paper in the bathrooms. The owner even admitted that they have been struggling with the bedbug problem for at least 2-years. It disgusts me to think that they probably put someone in our room that very same night if not the following day!

I wouldnt stay here if you paid me!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Topsfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I don't always do this but when I checked in and did a quick inspection. Pulled the bed away from the wall. It looked very dirty. I looked closer and found a toenail on the carpet and it had obviously not been vacumed in years. I looked closer and saw many stains and then found several bed bugs. I had never seen them before and was shocked and horrified. I had to go on the internet to verify. There was no doubt. When I checked out, I told the manager. He did not act surprised and did not ask to see the room. In retrospect, I should have taken and uploaded photos here. Sorry but I was too shocked to think of it and wanted to get out ASAP.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers? Share your experiences!