“Nice starting point for Sequoia parc” 3 of 5 stars

Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   40105 Sierra Drive, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Amstelveen
“Nice starting point for Sequoia parc”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Picked this hotel because it wasn't expensive and close to the Sequoia Parc. Room was quite big and ok. Staff was friendly and helpfull. Breakfast room was very small due to a recent fire but should be ok soon. Internet only worked outside room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We ended up staying at this hotel because our other arrangements turned out to have been misrepresented (it was quite a trip!). While we were pleased they could accommodate us (two rooms for two small children and three adults), that was the only pleasant thing about our stay. We were in the area during a hot time (over 90 each day) and the air conditioning (room units) barely functioned. In addition, they were turned off by housekeeping for the entire day while we were out, allowing the rooms to reach well over 100 degrees (a temperature for which the units were unable to compensate). My children's feet were completely blackened by the ground in dirt in the carpets within 10 minutes of having taken their shoes off in the room. The "playground" consists of one functioning swing surrounded by a missing and a broken swing and the pool was not clean (cloudy and greenish due I assume to algae). The river is only visible in areal views of the hotel, and not directly from the rooms (there is large embankment just outside the hotel rooms and the river is beyond and at a lower elevation). AVOID this property. Manager was unhelpful and rude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

The hotel has 2 different room types, to the right the standert rooms and to the left the so called luxury rooms...we had the luxury room #527 with mountain view. The rooms are very outdated, the wallpaper comes off on a few spots and stains on ceiling and walls due to older water leaks. The air condition knobs didn't work and the TV had 8 channels which we really didn't care for much. The mattress was bad though it was to soft and dipped in the middle. The balcony overviewing the mountain was big and the view was really nice. The location was great about 10 minutes to the Sequia National Park entrance. Gas was expensive and there are no food stores around within 30 miles. So go shopping before you hit out there. We had a good time since we only stayed in the hotel to sleep and spend the whole day in the park.
Overall good experience.

• Stayed September 2011
Dublin,CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

One word...BEDBUGS!!! We were fooled by the decent reviews on yelp.com and the attractive pricing. Upon arrival we found a very small and incredibly dingy room. It had a strange odor and my daughter's bare feet became black from the filthy carpet. I had a really bad feeling, but figured with it being a holiday weekend our chances of finding another place to stay were slim to none.

Just after getting the DD's to sleep we turned on the lights and there were bedbugs crawling all over our bed. I told my husband that we had to get out of here and he went to deal with management and I quickly packed everything up. The manager actually asked to see the bedbugs which seemed sort of strange. He tried to offer us another room, which I was certainly not interested in. He did credit us and we were charged nothing for our "stay."

Now we have to contend with the possibility that our luggage is infested with bedbugs/their eggs.

So much of this hotel shows lack of repair from the abandoned car with flat tires in the parking lot, to sheets missing hems and the bizarre attempt to paint over partially removed wall-paper in the bathrooms. The owner even admitted that they have been struggling with the bedbug problem for at least 2-years. It disgusts me to think that they probably put someone in our room that very same night if not the following day!

I wouldnt stay here if you paid me!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Topsfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I don't always do this but when I checked in and did a quick inspection. Pulled the bed away from the wall. It looked very dirty. I looked closer and found a toenail on the carpet and it had obviously not been vacumed in years. I looked closer and saw many stains and then found several bed bugs. I had never seen them before and was shocked and horrified. I had to go on the internet to verify. There was no doubt. When I checked out, I told the manager. He did not act surprised and did not ask to see the room. In retrospect, I should have taken and uploaded photos here. Sorry but I was too shocked to think of it and wanted to get out ASAP.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
studio city, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I prepaid three nights. We arrived late evening. The room was run down and dirty. It smelled. After putting my son to sleep. I started to unpack and noticed a bug on my bed so I looked on the sheets. I found 4 bed bugs crawling. I pulled the covers off my sons bed and saw 5-6 bed bugs crawling around him. The owner did not even seem surprised. He just offered another room. Which I turned down but his offer protected him from having to refund me; which I did not find out until later. He has had this problem for years and does not care. This I know because we left at 3:00am , came back the next day to get refund at 2:00pm and he had a no Vacancy sign and had rented the room out already. Also found reports of bed bugs at this hotel from dating back to 2006.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel for a good room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is apparently a former Best Western hotel, but no longer. It's currently run by an inexperienced hotelier on an expremely slender showstring. He kept two couples waiting at the desk for five minutes while he continued a personal phone call. When we finally got into our overpriced room, the bathroom lightswitch wasn't working. He told the maintenance man to get another one from a room upstairs. The fan in the air conditioning unit was extremely noisy, making it difficult to sleep. The continental breakfast was meager, with many items rarely replenished, and very poorly organized. We suggest trying one of the other hotels closer to the Sequoia National Park entrance.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers? Share your experiences!