“I think this is better than campgrounds within Sequoia” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Three Rivers Hideaway

Three Rivers Hideaway
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Three Rivers
Three Rivers Hideaway
You added Three Rivers Hideaway to your Saves list
43365 Sierra Drive, Highway 198, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Monterey, California
“I think this is better than campgrounds within Sequoia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We decided on a last minute trip to Sequoia over the Fourth of July wkend. I originally wanted to stay in Sequoia NP, but wasn't able to secure any sites. So fortunately Three Rivers was nearby and had sites available. We did try to snag an empty site in Sequoia...we drove into two campgrounds. They were way overcrowded for the holiday wkend. Three Rivers at least had good space btwn individual sites.
My husband, sister and I were on this particular trip.

Here are random thoughts/notes:
Tons of flies and yellow jackets. At least there weren't any ants.
There are showers and flush toilets available. They're dirty though. It didn't get cleaned the three nights we stayed there. Doesn't seem the owners cared to clean them, except emptying the trash cans. There were always stocks of toilet paper, though. There are also porta potties towards the back of the grounds. They weren't smelly oddly.
The campgrounds itself is cleaner compared to others we've been to. No beer caps or cigarette butts on the ground. There is a pond on grounds which is full of algae. (Don't drink that water cuz I'm sure you'll get giardia.)
I think I heard a rattlesnake our last night. We were no where near bears.
Nice views of the trees and mountains.
No lights, so bring headlamps for night trips to the bathroom. The ground is hard, so it'll be difficult getting the pegs into ground.
The other campers separated their plastic bottles.
Ice is available by the manager's office.
The manager doesn't enforce the quiet-after-10pm rule, FYI. (But at least the partiers were playing music from our generation that we all liked.)

I think I would say I'd recommend this spot to folks wanting to camp in this region. I gave it only an avg because I'm a woman and like clean bathrooms. If they were clean, it would be a whole other story.

Room Tip: Try to look for trees and shade, esp if you'll be there in the summer. Can get very hot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The location cant be beat (except by camps in the park obviously). We got to Sequoia at 8pm to find all camps full so we went to the next closest. When we got there I went in the office and noone was around. No bell to ring and no sign to say what I was suppose to do. I was beginning to think I got the wrong place. I walked around the side to see if anyone was around and sitting o/s a trailor home was two men.
They yelled hello to me so I walked over. After a few pleasant exchanges I still wasn't sure if either of these were anyone who could sell me a site. Eventually one stood up and told me to follow him to the office. It became evident very quick (he kept asking me the same questions) that he was drunk.
He was nice, and told me about a party they were going to have the next night so they'll probably be noise. He told me this upfront to check I was still ok staying.
The point is it seems very sketchy but was actually very nice.

We were staying in a tent so we relied on their facilities. They had two toilet blocks and some showers. We didn't use the showers but the toilets were clean and well stocked. The actual campsites are pretty much just a large dusty parking lot. They all had a table and fire pit but we could only get about 30% of the pegs in (even with a mallet) cause the ground is mostly rock. Luckily it wasn't windy.

The party ended up not being an issue. They stopped around 10:30.

If the parks full this is definitely a very good second best.

Room Tip: Try and get the sites under the trees on the far right as you drive into the lower camp ground. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love the location of this place, and while traveling the US, the Sequoia is my favorite at this point. The park is older and needs a little work, the owner does what he can on a tight budget. Its not a conglomerate, but locally owned and operated. The internet was fast when you compare it to some other companies like thousand trails, etc, but when people use 3 to 4 devices each they slow it down. If other guests were considerate and only used one item instead of their phones, laptops and pads, it would be fast all the time. The park was friendly and I felt pretty secure the whole time I was there. I loved the location it wasn't far from the entrance, and there is a great place to have breakfast right across the street. Come visit say hello to Dave, hes a nice guy and will treat you right.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We chose this place for a 2 night stay while we visited the Sequoia National Park. The location of this place is great - very close to the park entrance. But the park is run-down and does not feel safe. As soon as we had to check in, the office is a dark room with broken furniture and garbage. It made us very uncomfortable. We locked our bikes & BBQ in the trailer instead of keeping them outside. The partying by the people who "live" there full time woke us up on one of the nights, and it wasn't even the weekend. The location is wonderful, and I'm sure it could be a great place with some work, but it didn't impress me and we won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed in the cabins many times, they are old but clean, I think that makes them quaint. We have also stayed in our Teardrop trailer at this place and it was very quiet. The river is just a short walk from the cabins and is great for small kids because this aera of the river is very calm.
The owner is a very nice guy and so is his wife. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Most of the negative reviews of this place seemed to be about the cabins. We had an RV and put up a tent behind it, so never saw the cabins. As an RV park, this place was wonderful. The river setting and the hills around the site made this a very scenic place to relax. We saw lots of people heading down to the river for boating trips, and Kaweah Lake just before town is very nice on its own. There are many long-term residents at the RV park, and they were all very neighborly.

Three Rivers as a town is very small. A few restaurants and shops, but not much else in terms of things to do. This is, however, a great place to stay for visits to Sequoia National Park. The park entrance is just 15 minutes away, and the winding road up to the first sights is another half hour.

There's also a fantastic shuttle bus that picks you up just 100 yards from Three Rivers Hideaway. Make sure you book your shuttle ticket in advance. The shuttles go all around Sequoia at regular intervals, and they're planning on adding more routes in the future. Dave at reception was very helpful in advising us about the road work being done and everything else we asked.

The WiFi was spotty, and cell phone users note: this area only has T-Mobile service at this time, so nothing else works.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Fernando, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Last year Labor Day 2009 we rented three cabins for our extended group. Two of the cabins were ready for occupancy, but the third cabin next to the manager's campsite was still occupied and wasn't ready until after 1pm. It turns out the occupants were close friends of the management. This year in May 2010 we reserved all three cabins again and were told just two weeks prior to Labor Day that there was a conflict in cabin rentals and only two were available. During our stay we came to find out, that the same cabin was in use by the management's friends again! It would be nice if your management would not be so selfish and inconsiderate putting their own pleasure before the needs of the business!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Three Rivers Hideaway? Share your experiences!