“Don't Go There!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Visalia, California
“Don't Go There!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I figure since Heather your waitress didn't care how she treats customers, I would let you know about my families experience today at the Gateway.

Went up to The Gateway to have a great lunch with my family and had the worst experience ever in my life.
Got there about 1:15pm. Not busy at all. An older couple from out of the area was using the phone but were now ready to be seated. The Waitress Heather was in a rush to make change off a ticket. When she came back and asked in a bad way " Do you have reservations?" We said no. With a deep inhale she said " let me go check to see if there was anything." We wanted to be seated on the porch. She came back and said there would be about a 5 minute wait. As she makes change again on another ticket, the older couple says they are ready to be seated which Heather tells them it will be a 15 minute wait. So the couple look at each other and said they didn't have to eat on the porch. They could eat inside. The old Lady's hubby says or we could eat in the bar. Heather responds, "I'll be back. Your not ready" and leaves to give the change to a table out on the porch. The old couple looked at me " like you did hear that?" Oh yah I did! Heather returns and grabs 4 menus for my family. I tell her to take this couple first cause they don't care where they sit, which the couple smiled that I gave them their chance to eat. Heather didn't like that we were changing plans on her and threw the menus back in the case and said, " I don't have time for this" as she left back to the porch. REALLY? We looked at each other like we couldn't believe she spoke to us like that. Now mind you, if the restaurant was swarming with costumes and there was her and one other waitress, I might be able to understand her actions. This was not the case. About another five minutes went by and another waitress seated us. I expected Heather needed a moment to gather herself and come see us with an apology...NOPE! Oh and the porch area... Three tables were taken with eight empty tables. Where was the fire that would cause her actions?? Our waitress for lunch was Shari and made up for the rude words and action. As we left Heather was there at the front speaking so sweet to the gals who just settled their bill. I waited for them to leave and asked for the names of the owners of this restaurant. She gave it to me like it was no big deal. I paused thinking her comes her apology. NOPE. So I tell her in my nicest voice that her service was horrible. Which she said" awesome!" With two thumbs up at me.
I don't know who Heather is to this restaurant, but shame on you for letting her feel she can't treat costumes this way. Shame on the Gateway!!

Visited November 2013

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Very average and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Possibly the most expensive meal we had whilst in the U.S. It's in a lovely position and we were seated outside by the river but sadly that's where the pluses stop. This restaurant could be so much more if it only got the food right!! My seafood crepe was soggy and contained very little seafood and the salmon therein was very dry. My partner's steak was no more than very average which didn't match the price. We had hoped that this would be a memorable meal at the end of a lovely day in Sequoia, what a disappointment.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Stay out!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Bad food, almost uneatable! And overpriced. Stay out! We had a boring sallad with 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of cucumber and a strange soup that felt like prison food.

London, United Kingdom
“Save your money, don't go”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant pretends to be something it is not. It says it's fine dining, it isn't, plus it is totally over priced. My fish was not cooked properly. I have had food poisioning from undercooked fish before in the States and was not planning to have it again. The fish was sent back. There was no apology, nothing. Whilst I was waiting for my new meal to arrive, another server came to see how my Husband's meal was and didn't even comment on the fact that I had no plate in front of me which I thought was really odd. Surely you would wait unitl mine arrived and then check we were ok - go figure! This was our most expensive meal in 3 weeks of touring California and also the worst. Three Rivers is a tiny town there is not much choice for eating at all and I really think if this restaurant was in a busier place it wouldn't survive. It was really was not worth the price we paid for it, it was a big disappointment, I wish we had gone down the road to the take away pizza place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chino, California
“Great Steaks and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I visited near the end of the season but this restaurant was still crowded on a Friday night (wedding party dinner) so we were not able to sit outside. Our server was attentive and our steaks (NY Strip and Ribeye) were tasty and well prepared. Our only drawback was the inside seating area was warm and stuffy, outside would have been better but oh well. We recommend the Gateway for those wanting to enjoy a nice dinner and drinks.

• Visited October 2013