“Great place for nature lovers who are keen on value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buckeye Tree Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Three Rivers
Buckeye Tree Lodge
You added Buckeye Tree Lodge to your Saves list
46000 Sierra Drive, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great place for nature lovers who are keen on value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Although people generally stay here on their way into the park, the surroundings of this lodge could make it a destination unto itself for people who enjoy sycamore trees, chaparral plants, and a fast falling river. The room itself feels like a beige time capsule from a few decades ago and was not as clean as I would have liked. Still, the overall experience was quite positive for me. Staff are clearly focused on offering a superior value in an idyllic location with friendly service. They are closer to Sequoia National Park than any other option in Three Rivers. I enjoyed their very unique amenities, including whole coffee beans and a grinder in each room, free telephone calls anywhere in the U.S. and homemade muffins. I visited in the off season and management kindly allowed me to leave my car parked at this property as I explored Sequoia NP with friends who arrived to Three Rivers in their own vehicle. Patricia, who staffed the front desk during our stay, was genuinely considerate and helpful.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We weren't expecting too much when we booked into Buckeye Tree Lodge for two nights....so we were nicely surprised when we found the rooms to be comfortable and clean, each with a little balcony so you can sit outside and enjoy the creek running by the hotel and the lovely scenery. It's only a couple of minutes drive from the park itself, and the complimentary breakfast with homemade muffins and fruit was a lovely touch. It's dog friendly which was great for us, wifi was free, reception was lovely and helpful and there is a decent little restaurant and bar right next door! What's not to like?

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

A nice village in the forest, several hundreds meters only from Sequoya NP entrance. The hotel includes several cabins under the trees. Our cabin was small but comfortable and clean, with private outdoor yard with fireplace. The equipment is not new but fully functionally, including kitchenette and shower (very narrow and dark). The Three rivers is a place with a lot hotels, cabins and campgrounds and it is good choice for those who want significantly save money relative to accommodation inside NP. Half an hour drive through scenic drive - and your 'll be at the heart of Sequoya park, near Giant groove.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

This is a super place just outside Sequoia National Park. The price is reasonable and breakfast is continental style left in the room. There is proper roast coffee to use in the coffee maker - a lovely touch. The view from our room was superb - mountain, river, garden. Parking is easy - just in front of our room on the ground floor. There is one level above. It is quiet and there is a restaurant within a few steps of Buckeye Tree Lodge where you can get a good evening meal. There is a pool - too cold for us to use in September. The staff are very pleasant. The place is clean and in good order. I would go again if I ever go back to California and that area.

Room Tip: I think all rooms look out over the garden.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

When I go on road trips through national parks, my first preference is to stay at lodges inside the park. But because of last minute planning i sometimes end up with motels or lodges outside the park and I have come to not expect much from these places. Just a place to get some rest and move on. This week as I drove through Sequoia and ended up spending a night here because everything inside park was full. I did not have much expectation. But I was very pleasantly surprised. I don't remember the last time when I had coffee beans and a grinder in my room. I don't think ever. The location is really nice right next to the river and you can hear the water rushing through boulders and rocks. I can imagine it is a great place for a family to spend a few days just relaxing among the nature. I give them extra points for their native landscaping which probably does not require much effort in that location. But it is nice. I wish i had little more time to do nothing but hang out on the rocks by the rushing waters. I think in some ways the location is nicer than that at the lodges inside the park. But of course back and forth driving will be required.

Room Tip: the rooms that are part of the main building are nicer.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in Oct while visiting Sequoia.The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the outlook to the river at the back of the lodge was lovely. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the birds. There are a couple of tables in the garden where you can take your breakfast basket but these are most convenient for the ground floor rooms.
There is a great restaurant next door which does straightforward dishes like steak and beef burgers well and has a good selection of wines.The hotel provides a discount voucher and a menu so you can see what is on offer.
The pool was ice cold but very refreshing after a hot day in the National Park. The Park entrance is very close to the Lodge which was a great relief at the end of the day when we were exhausted!

Green Features: Recycling bins were conveniently situated just outside the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Monterey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

What is memorable about the Buckeye Tree Lodge is its proximity to Sequoia National Park, its beautiful views of the rocky Kaweah River off the back porch, and the provision of coffee beans and a grinder for your morning brew. The room was comfortable, but the housekeeping was indifferent. Didn't seem to have been vacuumed some days, and one afternoon upon my return, a hand towel and wash cloth had been dropped into the sink by the cleaning staff (for unknown reasons). The first morning I had no hot water, but the gentleman in the office worked to remedy that as promptly as possible. The office staff left me with mixed impressions from very polite and helpful to standoffishly indifferent. I would probably choose it again for its location and the coffee. If you are spending most of your time in the parks, you can live with the downsides, which are not enough to cancel out the positives.

Room Tip: Be sure you have back porch access with a view of the river.
Green Features: It was not obvious to me that the hotel was exceptional in this area. I'm glad to hear it.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Been to Buckeye Tree Lodge? Share your experiences!