“I tried to give this place a chance ...” 2 of 5 stars

Sierra Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43175 Sierra Drive, Hwy 198, Three Rivers, CA 93291   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
San Antonio, TX
“I tried to give this place a chance ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Wow. Okay, I picked this place because it was close to Yosemite and would provide a quick exit for us to get to the park vs. staying somewhere further away. The gamble DID NOT pay off. The place is kitschy, but not in a good way. It is bordering on run down, and at $85 a night in the off season, it is not worth it. Knowing what I know now, I would not have even paid $40 a night for this place. Parking is treacherous (parking lot is small and oddly designed). The rooms are small (like made for little people). Shower is similar to an RV sized shower. The bed ... OMG, the bed was horrendous. It was sinking so bad in the middle that I could barely stand to lay on it. I ended up trying to sleep in one of the chairs at one point during the night, but the chairs in the room were rickety wicker type chairs with vinyl seats. Horribly uncomfortable. There are only like two electrical outlets in the room which are filled with lamps, the wall AC unit, and the TV. You have to unplug something to plug in a charger or laptop. They serve breakfast (pastries and oatmeal) way too late in the morning, especially considering people are trying to get an early start for the park. The town has very little to offer in terms of dining, especially during the off season. Heck, the little grocery store doesn't even open until 10 A.M. on weekends. I would avoid this place and this town and maybe stay in Visalia or even Exeter. This place is in dire need of a makeover, or at least some decent maintenance and a little TLC. What a disappointment and a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

After visiting Kings Canyon and Sequio park excellent place to stay at end of dayExcellent views from balcony peaceful very tranquil setting Cannot fault it apart from no evening meals available had to drive..Would recommend here.All you need when you are on a two week road trip

Room Tip: Looked for accpomodation after a day in Kings Canyon and Sequio Park we found this accomomodation...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Broomfield, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location was great! We took hwy 198 from Fresno and the drive was beautiful around dusk.
Sierra Lodge is conveniently close to the south park entrance.
The good:
Location
Pool
Clean
Spotty wifi (better than no wifi)
Pretty quiet for being on the road
Oatmeal and pastries for breakfast, but not served until 8am. We didn't hang around that long, we ate at the We Three diner down the road instead.
Retro, in an interesting way
You park your car pretty much under your room. After you climb a metal spiral staircase, you enter your room though your groovy sliding glass door! They had rooms with doors in the opposite building but this was how ours was set up. We had a fireplace (unclear if you can have a fire), mini fridge, coffee pot. Room had a small tub-shower (see photo). Sitting area with table.
The bad:
THE BED. It was a queen but the mattress was so ancient that it sagged in the middle. It seemed like we were rolling into the center.
The carpet was worn near the bathroom door and I kept stepping on the tacks in the tack strip
**The water issue** I happened to be flipping through the table binder with hotel and local info and found a notice that the lodge had not met its water treatment requirement due to turbidity. There was no date on the document. There was not signage near the bathroom tap. The room was provided with 2 bottles of water. When my husband asked the desk girl, literally a teenager, about it, she said she drinks the water and nothing has happened to her. Turbidity has to do with cloudiness in the water. There was no further info other than the one document that I have included as a photo. I looked up some info since, but maybe the owner would like to comment. The lack of concern for this issue turned me off.
Draw your own conclusion here. We were provided with bottled water. The room was okay for an econodation and proximity to the park, but not a very good night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Claremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are planning on using the South entrance to the park through Visalia, Three Rivers is a good place to stay the night and head up into the park the next day. The Sierra Lodge was dated and old but clean. It served its purpose. The lady at the front counter was very nice. The cost was in the $80 range for a room with a King bed. There is a pool. I had read up on where to grab a bite to eat and we ended up at Sierra Subs and Salads for a lite dinner. We had the muffuletta sandwich and it was great. For breakfast, we went to the We Three Bakery about a block or two up the road and it was very good. I could smell the freshly baked cinnamon rolls as we drove up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Hotel location is great. Located 10 min from the entrance of sequioa national park. The hotel is in a small town with great food. The room are alittle dated but are clean and comfortable. And the reserved parking spot is a godsend when packing and unpacking.

• Stayed August 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor before leaving home, but didn't know our exact schedule so I booked it by phone when we were nearby. I believe they give special treatment to folks they think will write an online review in order to keep their numbers higher. Because this in NO WAY was above a one-star hotel. The lobby and the room were shabby. The "breakfast" was something I'd put together for my family in my tent on a bad day. The pictures above the bed in our room had boogers all over them, the carpets were worn out indoor/outdoor carpet from the 70s, the bathroom had many long hairs on the floor (not ours), the air conditioner was extremely loud, the sliding glass patio door that served as our room entrance let light through all night and provided no kind of sleep experience whatsoever, the lock was something my 5-year-old could have jimmied with a screwdriver in 3 minutes. The room had a dreadful lack of plug-ins for the clock, the tv and the coffee pot. An octopus of wires were plugged into a single outlet. The beds were horrible. One bed was swayed into the middle, lumpy and uncomfortable; the other bed was missing a chunk of foam at the end of the bed. We ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night and had nowhere to go to get more since the office was closed. Overall a gross experience. Just one of these problems makes you wonder what else could be wrong. Group them together? Ick. Do not stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Juvigny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked this hotel just because it is nicely located near Sequoia NP. However, I was surprised by the beautiful rooms, tastefully furbished, comfortable, and very clean. Wish I had planned to stay longer there! Only minus point was the breakfast, strictly continental - next time I'd make it myself in the suite's very well equipped kitchen. Overall, however, very good value for money.

Room Tip: If I remember well, the name of the nice suite was 'Bridal suite' - great for a family with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sierra Lodge? Share your experiences!