“Save your money - go somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

Sierra Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43175 Sierra Drive, Hwy 198, Three Rivers, CA 93291   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Save your money - go somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor before leaving home, but didn't know our exact schedule so I booked it by phone when we were nearby. I believe they give special treatment to folks they think will write an online review in order to keep their numbers higher. Because this in NO WAY was above a one-star hotel. The lobby and the room were shabby. The "breakfast" was something I'd put together for my family in my tent on a bad day. The pictures above the bed in our room had boogers all over them, the carpets were worn out indoor/outdoor carpet from the 70s, the bathroom had many long hairs on the floor (not ours), the air conditioner was extremely loud, the sliding glass patio door that served as our room entrance let light through all night and provided no kind of sleep experience whatsoever, the lock was something my 5-year-old could have jimmied with a screwdriver in 3 minutes. The room had a dreadful lack of plug-ins for the clock, the tv and the coffee pot. An octopus of wires were plugged into a single outlet. The beds were horrible. One bed was swayed into the middle, lumpy and uncomfortable; the other bed was missing a chunk of foam at the end of the bed. We ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night and had nowhere to go to get more since the office was closed. Overall a gross experience. Just one of these problems makes you wonder what else could be wrong. Group them together? Ick. Do not stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Juvigny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked this hotel just because it is nicely located near Sequoia NP. However, I was surprised by the beautiful rooms, tastefully furbished, comfortable, and very clean. Wish I had planned to stay longer there! Only minus point was the breakfast, strictly continental - next time I'd make it myself in the suite's very well equipped kitchen. Overall, however, very good value for money.

Room Tip: If I remember well, the name of the nice suite was 'Bridal suite' - great for a family with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family (4 of us) stayed at the Sierra Lodge in Three Rivers, CA for one night in June 2012. We booked the VIP room (2 bedrooms and it's own parking space!) at a rate of $200 per night. The hotel is only about 6 miles outside the Sequoia National Park so the location was great. The room was outdated ('70's maybe) and I don't believe much had changed since then. The mattresses in the two bedrooms were old and worn out and very squeaky. They had put boards between the mattress and the box springs for support. I noticed this when I was checking for bed bugs (which we didn't find). We did find dead silver fish bugs in the "clean" sheets given to us for the futon in the living room. There were also globe lights in the bath that had a few dozen dead bugs in the bottom of the globes. You are probably getting the picture. The woman working when we checked in was very nice and very helpful. As we were checking out the next morning, my husband suggested quite nicely (I'm not sure I would have been as gentle) that the room needed some attention. The woman at the desk was quite unreceptive to the idea that the room might not have been perfect. She said the room had stayed booked and no one else had "complained". I doubted that the room was continually booked due to the sheer number of bugs and spider webs. I guess it's possible that it is so booked that they simply haven't had time to do a proper cleaning. Anyway, if you've gotten this far, thanks reading. Overall, I can't recommend this hotel.

Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The lodge is ok for the odd night stay. It was reasonably clean and the room was a good size with a small balcony area.
We picked the lodge as we wanted somewhere close to the park entrance but with the major roadworks into the park causing delays of up to 1 hour each way we wished we had picked a different location.
The continental breakfast was just about adequate and you wont be getting an early start to your day as its not severed until 8:00.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
FAIRFIELD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just spent five days at the Sierra Lodge while attending my nephew's wedding. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the wedding venue and to the campground where the rehearsal dinner and a bridal wine shower were held the two nights prior to the wedding. We had read reviews and were well aware of the spiral staircase to our upper floor room (which had a wonderful view of the mountains) and did not have unrealistic expectations. What we found was exceptional hospitality on all levels, from the front desk ladies (especially Michelle, Stacy, Lisa, and Nia), all of the housekeeping staff, and Manager/Owner Dave. We stayed in room C, with a king-sized bed, and were very comfortable. We also had our own assigned covered parking space. An unexpected bonus was a family of acorn woodpeckers who spent a lot of time in the palm tree just outside our window -- my husband is an avid photographer, and really enjoyed capturing their antics. We like staying in "retro" motels, and aside from having to haul our belongings up the spiral staircase, our only real complaint (which could be ameliorated with some velvet curtains) was the light coming in at night from the security lights in the parking lot (the door to the room is a frosted sliding glass door, and does not fully block the light, but it gives plenty of visual privacy). We would definitely stay here again if we travel that way.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are easier for luggage, but the upper view is very nice!
Heidelberg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our room was clean but the main entrance was a patio sliding door made of milk-glass allowing the morning light to fill the room. The breakfast was orange slices, instant coffee and pre-packaged pastry. Road construction amde the trip to the giant trees over an hour each direction. I recommend staying anywhere between Fresno and the park. Three Rivers, CA has little to offer.

Room Tip: rooms C, D, E and F share a wall with the highway
Gardner, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here our second night in Three Rivers because the Buckeye Tree Lodge (our favorite in Three Rivers) was sold out that night. Our room was ok. It was a pet friendly room but wasn't bad. We had a little fridge and coffee maker. The decor was mountain like with moose/ bear boarders and bedspread. I like the exposed beam ceiling. Made it feel more cabin in the woods like. I guess my only real complaint was there were ants in the bathroom in the morning and we hadn't left any food out or anything. But I guess you can't always control nature. Overall an alright stay with close proximity to Sequoia NP.

Room Tip: FYI "No pets on the furniture".
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sierra Lodge? Share your experiences!