“Over priced and long in the tooth” 2 of 5 stars

Sierra Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43175 Sierra Drive, Hwy 198, Three Rivers, CA 93291   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Over priced and long in the tooth”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We booked this hotel for two nights as it was close to the entrance to Sequoia National Park. The first problem was minor but indicative of what was to follow. The room we were to receive was "on the river side" and technically was correct. The assumption was there would be a view of the river. Couldn't even here it although we knew the river was on our side somewhere. This motel is showing its age. Rooms were quite small and somewhat antiquated, the bathroom in particular. Shower spouts inadequate, no stopper in sink, (they provide a plug), noisy air conditioner, etc. The biggest problem, however, was the bed, a river could have run through it. My wife and I kept crashing in the middle from the slopes on either side. And we were not alone, our friends who accompanied us had the same problems including the bed. The Sierra is definitely a 2-star facility and not worth what we paid ($131 w/tax).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
El Paso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Good value, very close to south entrance of Sequoia National Park. Old buildings but kinda funky. Nice receptionist. Got a nail in my foot from the carpet but sadly, the manager did not seem too concerned. Otherwise, happy with experience.

Room Tip: Ask if the room you are booking has a view (some do) and if it is on the main or second floor. Not...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IOWA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We chose Sierra Lodge for it's location near Sequoia National Park. The attendant at the front desk was very friendly and check in went quickly. We were given two rooms over the office area. The room was rustic in feel (what do you expect in a National Park area) but clean with a comfortable bed, a mini frig, and a COFFEEMAKER. The decor made us feel like we were in a hunting lodge as did the mounted heads in the office. The balcony approach to our rooms had chairs and small tables which provided a relaxing place for us to unwind with a cold one and have some snacks. The room air conditioner provided a very comfortable sleeping atmosphere. Our bathroom, while dated, was clean with thicker than expected towels. The continental breakfast was perfect for me. The pastries, while bakery made, were tasty and of good variety and the coffee (while not Starbucks which I dislike anyway) was pleasurable and plentiful. The 8 AM serving time may be a drawback for some, but worked well for those of us who weren't in a hurry on our vacation. Compared to the budget breaking cost of similar accommodations we stayed in at Yosemite, the Sierra Lodge was very acceptible. If you want 5 Star hotel accommodations, try the Comfort Suites or Marriott in Visalia, but if it's comfortable, affordable, charming accommodations you seek, try the Sierra Lodge.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Sierra Lodge is a little older than some other motels and is small but it is a very comfortable place to stay and the people running it are extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Whittier, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

They had a great staff, but this place just seemed very outdated, felt as though I was trapped in the 70's.

This place is great if you just need a place to sleep while visiting the Sequoias.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

The Sierra Lodge.

Okay, so I wish I could give 4 stars for the service and 2 stars for the room. Here's how it breaks down:

The Service: I rolled into Three Rivers on a Friday afternoon with NO reservations. I walked in and was helped by a really friendly woman who kindly informed me they had no vacancies that night, but they DID have one the following night. She then recommended another inn where I could stay that night (who strangely only had a vacancy THAT night and not the following), and let me use her phone to arrange it (there's NO reception anywhere in Three Rivers).

The following morning, I arrived at 8:30am with my bags (since I had checked out of the other hotel). I asked if I could leave my bags with them until I got back down from the mountain and they happily obliged. When I returned 10 hours later, I grabbed the key and found my bags in my room. Great service.

As for the room, it had a king bed and a balcony/patio area with a sliding glass door and a table and 2 chairs. There was a (reserved?) parking spot right in front of the room and the decor is dated, but kind of charming. There was a coffeemaker and mini-fridge, plus bottled water, coffee and all the accessories. There was a table and chairs in the room as well, plus a large window facing the parking lot. I had no problem finding an outlet, unlike some other reviewers. However, there was no pen/notepad nor a sleep timer on the remote - which was a bummer. The wi-fi was fine, reasonably fast.

Here's the main problem - the bathroom was dirty. There was (OHMYGOD) a pubic hair on the wall in the shower. And the shower was a stall, which means it was really hard not to brush against it at times. After I saw that, I couldn't stop imagining what else I had touched. The sink and toilet also didn't look like they had been cleaned recently.

Lastly, they advertise a free continental breakfast, but I didn't get to try it because the office doesn't open until 8am. I stopped by at 7:30, banged on the door for a few minutes, then saw the sign. Maybe I'm an early-bird, but I feel like 7am is a much more reasonable time considering they're catering to people about to embark on full-day tours of Sequoia National Park. Also, there's not much to do in Three Rivers, so I bet most people sleep early and wake early.

Ultimately, I wouldn't stay here again. Yes, the bathroom situation could have been a one-off. And yes, they were super helpful at the front desk. But I left with a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think that will change over time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Visalia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here while visiting the Sequoia National Park and enjoyed it very much. The room was nice, clean and staff was very friendly. Couple of things about Three Rivers and Sierra Lodge:

Three Rivers:
It is a very small place.
If you go off season (Nov, Dec, Jan) most eating places will close at 3, 6 or 8 pm.
There are only 5-6 restaurants.
Closed "big" town is Visalia. It a Walmart, Walgreens and many more eating places.
Lunch and breakfast is relatively easy to manage compared to dinner.
If you are planning a long trip be prepared for the fact that you won't have very many food choices.

Lodge:

Is a good value for your money.
Is very close 5 miles from the entrance of the park.
Conveniently located near most of the restaurants.
Staff is quite friendly.
Carpets are clean, bathrooms are clean, beds are good, you get both hot and cold water, the air conditioning and heat works well.
You will only get pastries, oat meal and coffee for breakfast.

Room Tip: They have suites with Kitchen. Smaller suites have 1 bed, 1 futon. Bigger ones have 3 beds and kitch...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sierra Lodge? Share your experiences!