“Nice little Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Los Angeles, California
“Nice little Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We originally booked this place so we could get as close to Yosemite Wednesday night, cut down the 5 hour trip to 3 1/2, and explore Sequoia national park at the same time. We arrived at 10:30 p.m. Wed and woke up Thursday morning ready to see the park.

The hotel is nice, with a surprisingly big floorplan for a room at this price ($70). There was a big king bed, a wood burning fireplace, a dinning table, closet, etc. The room was clean. The toilet was leaking at the base, however, this was minimal and was our only complaint about the room.

The staircase leading up to the rooms was....interesting. It was even more interesting carrying our luggage up the steps as it's VERY narrow and since it is metal, can be icy in winter or when it rains (which it did the day we checked out).

The hotel is 4 miles from the entrance of the park take into consideration that the Giant Forest (Sequoia's big draw for many) is still another 17 miles, including road work area that closes sometimes, so plan accordingly.

All in all this was an amazing place for the price and would recommend it if you were in the mood of a day or two in Sequoia National Park. The staff is friendly, and breakfast was nice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed a couple of nights here whilst visiting Sequoia National Park. In terms of location, it is ideal - just a few miles down the road from the entrance, which matters because the drive to the top of the park to see the sights such as the General Sherman Tree takes about 45 minutes.

The guest area and rooms themselves are really kitsch, full of 50's style Americana - moose heads, ye olde pictures, shag rugs, paintings of bears and deers - you get the idea. Personally, I loved it, and found it really good fun, but it might not be to everyone's taste. I found the owners to be really nice, friendly and helpful hosts, with good local knowledge - they recommend the River View bar down the road, which served up the best steak I've had yet in the US!

Contrary to what others have said, the wi-fi does work fine, and is a good solid 10-20meg connection, and is entirely free. I also really appreciated the free (strong) coffee and pastries each morning, it was a nice touch.

The rooms were a good size, homely and comfortable, with a big fridge and fun decor. My only complaint would be that the lack of double glazing, combined with the busy road outside, does make it a tad noisy - but then, that's what ear plugs are for right! Anyway, after a day hiking in the forest, you sleep fine whatever, so don't listen to the critics, this is a fun good value good location place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

After driving through terential rain and 100 mile long traffic jam, we were desperate for a relaxing nice hotel. We got it. I believe it was the manager that saw to us when we arrived at 10pm. Really nice guy, chatted to him for a while, then were shown where we would be staying.
We were gutted the weather was so bad as a swim in the outdoor pool would have been heaven, the views from there were so nice.
Our room was great, we loved it. Clean, warm and having another heater in the bathroom was a saviour as it was quite chilly when we were there!
After reading other peoples reviews, a lot talk about it being outdated. But to us, it just doesn't matter, it added to our experience and I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed here before, they do accept pets. Unfortunately, I failed to mention that when making reservations with travel agency. Didn't realize it was going to be such an inconvenience seeing as they're going to charge you anyway. It's just the way it was handled, they charge you and make you feel unwelcome. The windows were broken. Couldn't close them after they were opened. OK. But then housekeeping fixed it, then I couldn't open them. Had a sliding glass door, but didn't have a screen door like my friend had with his room. Kinda hard to enjoy that mountain fresh air when you can't really open the windows or doors. Sleep is minimal because one side of hotel is located on the highway, so every car that drives by will wake you up. Again, my friend got the better room located away from the highway. Staff should use the phrase "I'm sorry, but I really don't know" instead of demonstrating lack of interest in a patron. My friend asked a staff member a question regarding the area's restaurants, hiking, etc. And the response was unhelpful. My friend said she felt like she was asking the staff a stupid question. Even checking out, yea sure the receptionist was smiling. But as soon as I handed over the room key, 2 seconds and the person couldn't care less about you anymore. Didn't even ask me about my stay. Again, my friend said he didn't have that experience. Yet the reservations were under my name and I paid for the rooms. To top it all off, the rooms were backwards. My friend was suppose to get 2 beds and a smoking room. And I was suppose to get 1 bed and non-smoking. It ended up being the other way around. That's what mean by verifying all info with hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

Having read reviews I wasn't expecting it to be great! However, for one night it was fine. The pool was clean and had a great view. The centre of the pool was deep and the water was cold, but as it was 90 degrees that was quite refreshing. The room was so tiny but OK and although the bathroom was also very small, everything worked! The surprise was that breakfast was included and it was a very pleasant continental one!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I visited a few weeks ago staying there for 2 nights as part of our road trip around California.
It's a little dated but homely and in keeping with the area. The decor was kind of old country style with pictures of animals etc on the wall. it's not just another copy of the modern chain hotels so it was a bit different and that made it fine for us. The room was clean and acceptable. The internet conncetion worked for me OK and I was near the end of the block quite a way from the reception and presumably the wirelss router. We found the pool to be clean and yes it was unheated but it was 104f when we were there so no problem at all. There are a few restaurants close by, we used the Pizza factory and the Mexican for our two nights. Both provided pretty good food. No need to dress up for either place mind as they are both fairly informal places. The hotel is about 5 or 6 miles from the entrance to Sequoia park so only 15 minutes or so before you are winding up the bendy roads towards the big trees and moro rock.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

During July 2010, over 50 of us from 4 states, stayed 5 nights at the Sierra
Lodge while celebrating our family reunion. The accommodations were just
perfect for our group. Each room had a mini refrigerator and either 2
double beds or 1 king. The ground-floor conference room with adjoining
kitchen (equipped with pots/pans, etc.) provided a great place for gathering
for meals. For an additional fee, the most gracious owners, Dave and Carol
Paradis, arranged for rental of enough tables and chairs to accommodate us.
A sitting room off the conference room with a TV was a perfect place for
elderly family members to relax, catch up and have coffee. Family members
with small children had the option of renting small suites with
kitchenettes.

A large outside sitting area with several picnic tables was a great place to
gather in the cool evenings. It was a perfect spot to hold the children's
talent show. Of course, everyone enjoyed the swimming pool whether swimming
or just sitting around enjoying a beverage of their choice.

During the day, adventure was found visiting the sequoias, white water
rafting, cave exploration, swimming at the nearby lake, fishing or playing
in the river.

The Sierra Lodge was a perfect place to stay during our fun-filled
vacation/reunion.

Jan & Dan
Jacksonville, Florida

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sierra Lodge? Share your experiences!