“Be careful when making reservations!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Costa Mesa, CA
“Be careful when making reservations!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We made a reservation for a three-night stay for Feb. 17-20. When checking in, I mentioned I wanted to change to a 2-night stay with an option to stay the third night. The owner told me this was not acceptable as there was a 72-hour cancellation perod! Nowhere on my reservation
guarantee was this mentioned, and nowhere in the office was this posted. I looked in the Best Value Inn directory and again, this is not stipulated. I fully intend to file a dispute with America's Best Value Inn and with my credit card company. There were plenty of empty rooms all weekend long, so this was not a question of "being booked."

Also, on my reservations guarantee, it stipulated that, since I was a Value Club member, I would receive an automatic upgrade upon arrival. This did not happen. i thought perhaps it was a question of the property being booked, but most of the units were empty.

On the positive side, the owners moved us to another room when our neighbors started to smoke marijuana. The facilities are good, but things like bathtub fixtures, heaters (noisy) and mattresses (lumpy) could use replacement. The continental breakfast is OK, and the peace and quiet afforded is wonderful. The owners are very helpful and make you feel at home.

Room Tip: 6B and 7 are good because they are in a quiet area away from the road.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank teacherjim
abvilazyj, Owner at Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Lazy J Ranch Motel. I apologize for the confusion of my desk clerk when you checked in. Our standard cancellation policy for reservations made through us is 72 hours, just like she told you. The cancellation policy for reservations made online or through the reservation center is one day. She was incorrect in stating that you were under the 72 hour policy since your reservation was made through the call center. With all of your other reservations and subsequent cancellations, we have always adhered to the one day policy. I will make sure that our desk clerks are aware of the deifferences. When you left the office you stated that everything was fine and that you would enjoy your three day stay.

I do wish that you had discussed this with my husband or myself during one of our many conversations throughout your stay. At no time did you bring this to our attention while you were here. If you had, we would have dealt with it immediately. I did credit your card for the last night of your stay as soon as I received your email complaint that was sent to guest services. I was surprised to see that you had also complained on Trip Advisor without giving us the opportunity to make this right. You were in our office several times and spoke to may of us, but never brought this issue to our attention. We assumed you were staying Sunday night as you accepted supplies from the housekeepers on Sunday morning. It wasn't until you called after 7:00 p.m. Sunday night that we were aware that you had left. Unfortunately that room then sat empty Sunday night, the only standard room we had left available.

As to your complaint about not offering you a room upgrade - we had very few rooms available for the entire weekend and none of them would have been considered an upgrade. Apparently you were unaware of the number of rooms that were actually occupied. We only had one room with 2 beds available for Friday and one room with one double bed available for Saturday. Our desk clerk did explain this to you upon check in, but you obviously thought that we had many more rooms available.

We have always strived to make our guests comfortable and happy here at the Lazy J. I'm sorry that the misunderstanding at the front desk was not dealt with immediately, but I hope that the credit for third night of your stay will help with your unhappiness.

Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Although we live only about 40 minutes away from the Lazy J ranch, it's like a whole new world up there. We stayed for a night with our 2.5 year old daughter and had a great time. The room was very clean and very affordable $65/night. Our daughter loved the slide and swing set they had as well as the goats they had in back. Still a few days later she is trying to make the goat sounds, lol. We are already planning to go back up next month. If you are looking for a good affordable motel in Three Rivers, definitely check out the Lazy J Ranch.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Denny M
Thank you for staying with us here at the Lazy J Ranch Motel. We are so glad you enjoyed your time here and that your daughter was able to visit with our goats!! They do enjoy a little bit of spoiling from our smaller guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

This is a good choice on a budget. It is very pet friendly ($5 dog fee) and the proprietor is very friendly. The setting is beautiful with the mountains in the background as well as goats and sheep in the backyard. The room took a long time to heat up but eventually got warm. Breakfast is nothing fancy but I took the oatmeal and was perfectly satisfied with that.

I would definitely go back if I was in the area visiting sequoia national park because it was a good value and was in very close proximity to the park entrance.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Camarillo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I recently were passing through Three Rivers and stayed one night at the Lazy J Ranch. The property is a beautiful setting. We had our own little cabin. Very clean and comfortable. We much prefer this than a chain motel. Beautiful walking trails leading to the river. The staff was very friendly. Definitely would stay there again and highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Poor Lazy J Ranch has seen better days. I've stayed there a few times going back some twenty years. Unfortunately, they just do not seem to be keeping up with upgrades and maintenance. It is still an okay place to stay with nice people and a pretty environment but the rooms are showing signs of age and are getting a bit seedy. If you pay more than $59.00, you are not getting any value for your money.

I realize that some rooms may be better than others but the one in which I stayed definitely needed some repair and improvement. The bathroom needed all new fixtures, the shower was very poor and the sink was showing signs of age. Furniture was cheap and dated and the carpeting needed cleaning.

Used to be Lazy J referred to a laid back lifestyle (and a big black dog if I recall correctly) but now it seems to be the owner's attitude towards fixing the place up. WIth a brand new Comfort Inn down the road at a better price, the people at Lazy J have to get their act together and keep up with the times.

Room Tip: Don't pay more than $59,00
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephen K
Llandrindod Wells
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We did a 23 day road trip of California in september. This was the best motel of them all. Location is beautiful, with plenty of grounds to relax in. Scenery is stunning. Only a 5 minute drive from several restaurants. 15 minutes from Sequioa park. The only slight criticism was that the breakfast was very basic, but to be honest, thats not why we chose this place. Rooms were a decent size, and immaculate. We both said we could easily return and spend a full week here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Lazy J was a perfect combination of comfortable and unique. The ranch component consisted of three goats and two sheep in fenced paddocks...fun for the kids to have animals! The rooms are basically duplex cabin with a fridge and microwave, comfortable chairs for reading,etc. The rooms were spotless. My only minor complaint was that they used too much air freshener when they cleaned daily. The property was well maintained with a swing set for the kids, lots of grass to run around on and a well maintained small pool, perfect after a day of hiking.
The river accessed by walking behind the motel (better poolsforswimming) or driving to the recreation area about 1/4 mile down the road is spectacular filled with huge boulders, surrounded by the hills. Breakfasts were pretty basic, but there were lots of choices, including fresh fruit and granola bars. Why stay at a chain motel when you can stay with friendly local folks at the Lazy J.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4.0 of 5 stars 1,669 reviews
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon
Western Holiday Lodge Three Rivers

Been to Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!