“Great way to see the Sequoias!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Milton Keynes, UK
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Great way to see the Sequoias!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Grant Grove Stables are based a couple of minutes drive from the Grant Grove centre, where we were staying in the John Muir Lodge. My wife and kids were keen to try horse riding during our stay in Sequoia/Kings Canyon so the location was perfect. I initially did not want to join in (not a fan of horses) but I was really glad I did since it was a wonderful experience. We have very limited riding experience by the way!

Now some specifics:
- Pre-book. We booked some months in advance over the phone. They are not a massive operation and we saw least one family turned away
- $40 for a one hour ride and $60 for two hours. If you can afford it go for the 2 hour option. It takes you musch further into the woods and up to a fantastic hill with a view over the trees and down to Sequoia lake. The time flies!
- Wear long trousers
- Helmets are available and my personal recommendation would be to wear them, although it is not compulsory
- Take a water bottle each and small camera. They give you a little bag to hang on the saddle for storing valuables
- You are led at a walk the whole time along well established trails. No trotting or galloping so very sedate.plus the horses have done the trails a million times before so they know where to go!
- The horses are friendly and docile

I had some reservations about taking part in this ride but it ended being one of my highlights of staying in the park so why not give it a try!

19 Thank RichardW99