“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Carlsbad, California
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My horse "Bill" was unwilling to move unless it had to - and the lead admitted this horse would get away with whatever it could -- if the stable knows its going to be a miserable experience for their guests they should sell the horse or put it out to pasture -- I don't know how the horses are treated but I don't recommend this at all. Do yourself a favor and walk the trails yourself.

Visited August 2013

Granite City, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
“Mule Ride Anyone?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The 2 hr. ride to Mirror Lake was not what I expected. Wear thick pants, blisters.

Visited July 2012
Milton Keynes, UK
21 attraction reviews
“Great way to see the Sequoias!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Grant Grove Stables are based a couple of minutes drive from the Grant Grove centre, where we were staying in the John Muir Lodge. My wife and kids were keen to try horse riding during our stay in Sequoia/Kings Canyon so the location was perfect. I initially did not want to join in (not a fan of horses) but I was really glad I did since it was a wonderful experience. We have very limited riding experience by the way!

Now some specifics:
- Pre-book. We booked some months in advance over the phone. They are not a massive operation and we saw least one family turned away
- $40 for a one hour ride and $60 for two hours. If you can afford it go for the 2 hour option. It takes you musch further into the woods and up to a fantastic hill with a view over the trees and down to Sequoia lake. The time flies!
- Wear long trousers
- Helmets are available and my personal recommendation would be to wear them, although it is not compulsory
- Take a water bottle each and small camera. They give you a little bag to hang on the saddle for storing valuables
- You are led at a walk the whole time along well established trails. No trotting or galloping so very sedate.plus the horses have done the trails a million times before so they know where to go!
- The horses are friendly and docile

I had some reservations about taking part in this ride but it ended being one of my highlights of staying in the park so why not give it a try!