“Best part of our trip.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
N. Ft. Myers, FL
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Best part of our trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hiking path starts within a campground and was pretty crowded by my standards. We saw a mama bear and her twins on one side of the path as we went towards the falls and then on the other as we retuned. We saw a young buck, a family of marmots and lots of birds. The hike was relatively easy even for our 7yo. We took plenty of water and a reserve 64oz. and drank all of it on this hot July day. There was rumor of hiking poles and equipment being stolen so we kept a watchful eye on ours. I admit we were violators and did climb on the rocks over to the falls. My 13yo did slip and fell on his bottom in the falls but didn't get hurt. We watched several guys diving from the ledge above the pool into the water and although my kids begged me mercilessly I did not let them do that. The water was very refreshing on that hot day! I saw a guy filling up his water containers but without being familiar with the area and no steripen I wouldn't chance it.
The falls were small due to the drought but they were the perfect size for us that day. I highly recommend!

You can purchase picnic items at the Lodgepole store before heading back but be sure to use a bear vault of some kind in your pack. Do not leave scented items or food in your car there are "extra" bear boxes in the parking lot. The rocks near the end of the hike to the falls can be treacherous but you can still view the falls without clambering over the rocks. This hike, although easy is not for strollers.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Tracy K

San Diego, California
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Another trip to this great hike-this time in the summer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I returned on this hike after 3 years. This time my trip was in summer-the waterfall was not quite as powerful, but it was still beautiful. This time instead of seeing a coyote and marmots, we saw marmots, lizards, deer, and pheasants. This hike is good for families, but it can get crowded because it's right off of Lodgepole campground. It is slightly uphill on the way to the waterfall...but it's mostly a level hike. It's ~1.7ish miles to the waterfall. We took stops at the creek on the way there. Water was so refreshing. I highly recommend this hike. Lodgepole campground has restrooms and a stop for the shuttle.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Williwillinui
Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“If you go down into the woods today.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our first hike after arriving at Sequoia and just a few minutes along the trail we spotted a bear snacking on the opposite side of the river. We had to stop for a while to watch him and take a few photos. The hike itself is pretty good and the falls when you get there worth looking at. Not too busy which was nice compared to some of the main sights at sequoia

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Jakkster67
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Falls in the Winter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

There was plenty of water even in the winter. A nice hike with a scenic view and gentle water sounds. The hike was a perfect pick for to burn some calories right before lunch.

Visited November 2012
Annecy, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Falls?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It was a nice walk in the forest (deer, bears, ...) but unfortunately there was no water in the river, which is a bit of a downer for a waterfall. Never mind, next time come in Spring.

Visited October 2012