“Nice motel at the entrance to Sequoia National Park” 4 of 5 stars

Sequoia Motel in Three Rivers
43000 Sierra Drive (Hwy 198), P.O.Box 145, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Three Rivers
Warsaw, Poland
“Nice motel at the entrance to Sequoia National Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent there just one night, but we have only positive memories from this little motel. Friendly staff, basic but nice rooms, small clean pool (great for relaxing after the long journey), and delicious breakfast in the nearby "We Three Bakery" (which was recommended to us by the owner). The motel itself is small and rather old, but it has some charm (part of it comes probably from the surrounding scenery)

I think I can recommend the Sequoia Motel as a very good choice if you can cope without all the amenities of the expensive hotel. If you are just looking for a quiet, relaxing and friendly place to stay close to the entrance to Sequoia NP - you will like this motel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

First of all, let's get one thing out of the way: Most things the one and two point reviews say is true: The motel looks like a relic from the sixties. The standard of the rooms is depressinly bad, there is no shampoo, no lotion, no alarm clock. Additionally, the rooms are not exactly dirty, but look more like they were cleaned by someone who was in a hurry.
But all that completely misses the point: Sequoia Motel is one of the most welcoming, charming places I've visited in years, run by a nice lady with a dog named Abby. The garden looks wonderful, the rooms, while very basic and a bit dusty, are charmingly decorated, and bad standards and lackluster cleaning notwithstanding you never feel like you'll get some terrible sickness from staying in a dirty room (see my other reviews for places like that).

All in all, problems aside, this place would get a five-star rating from me, wouldn't it be for the price. Around a hundred bucks per night may be what you pay for having a room right next to the entrance to Sequoia National Park, but given the room's standards it's terrble value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Basic but good. Location is nice, swimming pool and good price/quality

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was rolling the dice in hopes of finding accomodations for Thanksgiving wknd, as I was booking so close to my arrival date. Sequoia Motel to the rescue! Simple accomodations, clean, quiet, and such a bargain. Tons of storage in the room + a very efficient wall heater which kept the room very toasty in the cool evenings. Chris, the owner, is charming, very helpful, & recommended a couple of great places to eat. I arrived after dark, so I didn't get a full view of the property until morning. Sparkling clean pool, & several tables with chairs in the adjacent garden, which could be great for relaxing in the afternoon.
Chris recommended "We Three Bakery"(awesome breakfasts) & "Sierra Subs"(fresh & creative sandwiches,soups, salads). Both were delicious & very near by. It was a great place to stay & so near the entrance of the spectacular Sequoia National Park.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the motel rooms, which was very clean & quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
bangor, co. down
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Three of us stayed here for three nights in September in a room with two queen beds and one day bed. The location was excellent for visiting both Sequoia and Kings National Parks. The room was clean, the view from outside the room in early morning was wonderful, the pool and gardens looked inviting and the owner, Chris, could not have been more welcoming and helpful. Facilities were limited, no fridge or microwave, but the price was reasonable for the area and Chris gave us ice packs daily for our cool box. There was also a laundry on site.

There are two entrances to the motel which are on a bend in the road. At night the first entrance is easy to see because there are lights in several trees. This was a big help when returning from our evening meal at Riverview!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
carpi-modena-italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

we choose the Rustic room: it was very nice because it has a "patchwork" style. This lodge is very easy to reach (it's on the road to Park from southside) and it's just few minutes far from the park entrance. There is a sign on the road but it's not easy to be seen, especially in the night. The room was big enough for 4 people and the luggages, and clean. We arrived late in the night but no problem. it's 2 miles after the town toward the Park.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Don't stay in cabin 4

... if you care for "details" - which our family agreed *not* to do during a three-night and all-days-hiking trip to Sequoia NP in Oct. 2010. Instead we enjoyed to recap each beautiful day out we had on the patio of the cabin, facing a clear night sky and to have a good night's sleep, a little off from the direct traffic of route 198.

If however, you *are* into "details", then you may want to know, that cabin 4 was definitely over the top of what one might want to call rustic: the shower offered a distinct stench of mildew, the bathroom sink was stained with some strange brown stuff, the space beneath the drip pans of the gas range was covered with an interesting selection of rotten food from our predecessors, the fridge was filled with left-over ketchups and alike, the water based air cooling(?) system was anything but cool - it was only annoyingly noisy, and finally, part of the furniture looked like someone was trying to make the most bucks from the least input ... speaking about bucks: we've seen quite some cabins which offer more for less - in fact also more of a friendly staff. But then, maybe you shouldn't care too much for "details" when you're staying along one of those 'tourist-rip-off-lanes' into a national park?

PS.: We guess the rest of this place will not be too much different. But we stay fair and report only on cabin 4.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Chris93271, Owner at Sequoia Motel in Three Rivers, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Dear Guest,
I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in Cabin 4. If I had known while you were here that you were not comfortable I would have done what I could to change that for you. I try to explain to my guests when they make their reservation that we are a simple place and there is not a fancy thing about us. I have taken all that you have mentioned into consideration and rechecked all my cabins. The items in the frig and on the shelf we do leave for other guests to use (if they like), it seems a shame to throw it away. And, the stain in the bathroom sink was left by a previous guest. I do not know what caused the stain and have tried many ways to remove it. At this point it will require a whole new counter and sink to correct it. So if everything goes well this winter that is on the to do list. About the unfriendly staff (that would be me you are referring), I apologize and I am disappointed you felt that way. I enjoy visiting with my guests and I do care about their comfort. Though there are times when I feel the guests would prefer their own space and do not want my involvement. May I wish for you a better next time. Kind regards, Chris

Been to Sequoia Motel in Three Rivers? Share your experiences!