“Beautiful place with wonderful hosts” 4 of 5 stars

Residence Bellevue Guesthouse
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   45317 Mineral King Road, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful place with wonderful hosts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Eva and Ozzy's place. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was well-equipped. Since they only have one client at a time, I had the whole upstairs which included a nice sitting room too. Even though I visited in late October, it was warm enough to sleep with the window open, allowing me to enjoy the sounds of the river below while I slept.

They are wonderful hosts and we enjoyed nice conversations in the evenings. The breakfasts were delicious and plentiful - just what I needed to fuel daily hikes. Since I had a friend that lived nearby, Eva even invited my friend to join in for the breakfast feast.

The location is very convenient to Sequoia National Park and there is nice BLM land nearby for hikes too. It's not far from the central part of the small town of Three Rivers.

The only reason that I only rated this 4 stars is that their entry road could be difficult for many people. I was able to drive my Prius down the road without bottoming out (which I often do on many driveways). I felt comfortable negotiating the descent when I put my car into low gear. However, if you are inexperienced with mountain driving, it could be a challenge.

Although there were some comments about the artwork, I found it all to be very tasteful and couldn't see anything offensive. If you are worried about offending children, just ask them to to take down the nude sketches.

Unfortunately, my other pictures of the hotel disappeared but I did still have three to share.

Room Tip: Both bedrooms are perfect: quiet, comfortable with beautiful river views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having read the other reviews, I am slighly baffled. Yes, the hosts were hospitable and the breakfasts were great. The spot is beautiful although at the end of a long and twisty gravel road; not great to drive in the dark. But my kids were very unconfortable in the place thanks to the artwork. One bedroom was filled with pictures of naked women; the second had two books on a sexual theme, prominently displayed. The communal room had a fairly graphic sculpture.This might be fine for honeymooners but not for a family stay. This is a pricey b&b - we paid $300 a night - and my family couldn't wait to get away.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BellevueGuesthouse, Owner at Residence Bellevue Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Hi Less,
Sorry learning from you after you left, that you and your family has not been comfortable during your stay with us. Wondering why you did not tell us about your discomfort during your stay. We are asking our guest every day if everything is comfortable. We could have removed the pictures and the sculpture etc, no problem for us. By the way, the ”fairly graphic sculpture” is a very rare copy of Rodin’s art, displayed in the famous Rodin Museum in Paris.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our hosts Ossie and Eva were marvelously welcoming and kind, making us feel right at home and making sure we had absolutely everything we needed. The rooms were lovely and sitting out on the patio in the evening looking at the stars was sublime. The B&B is situated beautifully on a high ridge just outside the entrance to the park and makes for a terrific starting point (especially after the marvelous breakfast of homemade pastries and delicous fresh fruit and eggs and rich dark coffee). On our entire trip through California (six weeks) this was the warmest and loveliest place we stayed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Best place we have been during our four week round trip.
The location is nice and kind of secluded, surrounded by nature and far from noisy roads. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are very clean and A/C worked good. The bathroom is also very clean and is stocked with a lot of amenities.
Every day we could not wait sitting by night on the deck, watching the stars and listening to the sound of the running river and the cricket’s concerts. The breakfast was every day a surprise. It was delicious and prepared with love and care. It was served on the deck, no crowd spoiled our morning peace. Our hosts (Ozzy & Eva) were experienced to provide needed assistance and advice. Definitely we would like to stay again at Bellevue Guesthouse.

Room Tip: no difference, all rooms are nice
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at Residence Bellevue Guesthouse in Three Rivers, CA while visiting Sequoia National Park. This is a pretty property on expansive land with a river running through it. It is a B&B owned and operated by Ozzie and Eva (husband and wife). They live on the first floor of the house and rent out the second floor which contains 2 bedrooms, with one Queen bed each, the living area which contains a futon, and one bathroom. They make sure only to rent to one party at a time so there are no discomforts with having to share a bathroom with strangers. This is a very good set up for larger groups (up to 6 guests, I believe) traveling together. Ozzie and Eva are very hospitable and friendly and provide well beyond the pre-packaged baked goods you typically see falling under the 'Continental Breakfast' category.

The biggest problem we had was the temperature in the room. We traveled at the end of June as a heat spike was occurring. The second story did not cool off to a comfortable temperature at night and we did not sleep much or comfortably the entire night (this would probably not be a concern in winter/spring/fall, but in summer with almost 100 degree days, the AC needed to be turned on to cool off the upstairs where the guest rooms are located). Earlier in the evening I brought up my concern but was assured it would cool off as the evening progressed. Unfortunately the cooling was not sufficient enough to ease the heat on the second floor and by the time we realized we were going to have a difficult night's sleep I did not think the owners were still up and did not want to disturb them. On some level, I kept hoping things would cool off as it got later. We tried cranking up the ceiling fans in each room to high speed (hoping to find the better room to sleep in), but that just caused them to rattle and clank wildly making it pointless to try and keep them on.

Pros:
-Picturesque property
-Hospitable husband and wife owner/operators
-Good for families/groups
-Close to main gates of Sequoia National Park
-Wireless internet at good speed since you are not competing with the same number of bandwidth chewers as you would at a hotel

Cons:
-The second story (where guest rooms are located) gets, and stays, hot with hotter temps
-Noisy and rattling ceiling fan in both bedrooms when turned to high speed
-Did not feel as comfortable to move around as freely as in a hotel room knowing we were in someone's home (this was more a personal concern than anything done by the homeowners)
-No access to AC made it one heck of a 'hot box' of a night
-Can be a difficult gravelly drive up from the main road depending on your vehicle
-I would not recommend for a romantic weekend
-No TV that I could find, but I did not spend much looking

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BellevueGuesthouse, Owner at Residence Bellevue Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Sorry to learn that you have not been comfortable during your stay with us.
We wish, you would have had mentioned your discomfort to us when you have been here. Actually you chose having no A/C, to keep airflow only. But we could have put the A/C on, no problem for us. Even when we asked you, like we are asking all of our guest, if you are comfortable, if slept well etc., you did not say anything, you appeared to us as being very happy.
Our guests and their comfort are important to us. We are available for them all the time, ready to help, to solve any problems, if requested.
Lille
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Best place we have been during our 3 weeks round trip: Super good location, quiet and secluded setting on a large wooded property, but only a few minutes away to town and to entrance to Sequoia National Park. Spectacular views and nice surroundings, romantic and cozy house and rooms, comfortable beds, delicious breakfast, very friendly and helpful hosts. Ozzy speaks French, what also was a big plus for us.

Room Tip: there are only 2 guests rooms. All rooms are nice and all are upstairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. Ozzie and Eva was spectacular hosts. They made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed for a relaxing stay. The house is so comfortable. We enjoyed fabulous breakfasts outside on the deck with the sounds of the birds and the river and the view of the mountains with Moro Rock right in front of us. The location is so conveniently close to the National Park. Ozzie and Eva were very helpful with ideas of things to do when we had finished visiting the park-for this trip. They both are so interesting. We enjoyed many conversations with them. I would highly recommend staying here and can't wait until I get back there.

Room Tip: Both rooms are nearly identical. Either is just fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Bellevue Guesthouse? Share your experiences!