“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at the Rio last minute after deciding to stay in Three Rivers a little longer and we found it to be absolute paradise.
Our first night was in the Hideaway RV, we were a little unsure what it was going to be like but found it it be great fun! The RV facilites include all the basics, a fridge, sink, great shower and decent toilet! The bed was comfy and we felt very safe.
The area around the RV was the best bit- your own area next to the river, a seating area and obviously a lot of thought had gone into the outside furniture and layout making it feel special.

The second night was in the guest house and exceeded our expectations. The room was beautiful, the decor was unique and fun the bed super comfy and the room felt spacious.

The real draw is the access to the river which we found very relaxing and enjoyable to paddle in. Mars has obviously gone to great efforts to make all guests feel comfortable and special and we will certainly be returning for another stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This place completely exceeded my expectations. I booked a little on the late side and thought, well as long as we are near the national park and they allow our little dog, how bad can it be. I certainly did not imagine that it was right on the banks of a gorgeous river, with a mini beach and swimming area and rock to jump off. The rooms were designed in a bohemian style, with great books on the shelves, free wifi and the Celtic's game on the TV! There is a fire pit every night, with a big barbeque grill you can use. Towels for the beach were supplied. We stayed in the panorama room that has a spacious kitchen and bar area and lovely views of the river. We stayed in every night because we just loved sitting out by the river/fire.
Mars, the proprietor was so lovely to us, and really made us feel at home. Some people may want a more anonymous feel to their accommodation, but for me, she really completed what was already an amazing vacation. She showed us a hike to a local waterfall, was always around if we needed the local 411, and supplied us with anything we needed that wasn't in the room (towels, tinfoil etc). I feel like we made a friend. She was an amazing host.
Thanks Mars! Go Celtics

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hawthorne, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Our weekend hiking the trails of Sequoia Park would not have been as special if we weren't staying at the Rio Sierra Riverhouse. My husband, sister, niece and daughter had the best time staying at this location. The river in the backyard is indescribable. Waking up in the morning to the sound of the river was the most calming and peaceful thing. Mars, the host, always went out of her way to help us with anything we needed and I mean ANYTHING. She sat by the fire with us, brought us extra blankets, told us where good places to eat were, etc etc. The Riverhouse is located literally at the banks of the river. We stayed in the panorama room and the view from there was amazing. Seriously an unforgettable experience at the Riverhouse. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Cute, cozy little place, great location not too far drive from Sequoia but also close enough to dinner and Breakfast options around. Mars (Margaret) is the host, she is so friendly, gave great dining advice, lit the romantic little campfire every night. She was helpful and very kind. The room we stayed is was small, and the shower was tiny with very little water pressure and it was quite cold in the bath room. Those are the only concerns. The bed was comfortable, and the view and location was just awesome. We could relax in bed and watch the river flow by, and sit out by the fire at night and listen for the rushing water. It was a great little spot.

Note: If you are heading up to Sequoia for the day have breakfast at We Three Bakery it is on the way from the hotel to Sequoia National park and they have really good food. The doughnuts are delicious and they are good to bring along as a snack for later in the day when you need a little yummy sugar boost. :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was very impressed with the entire accommodations of the Rio Sierra Riverhouse. Mars (Margaret) was an amazing host all during my stay at the private "Hideaway" trailer. She even came to light the fire-pit fire every night. The trailer is perfect for a couple or someone needing to escape the busy lifestyle that one may have. All the rooms were perfectly clean and neat. The atmosphere is welcoming and charming all at the same time. The pictures on the website don't capture the true ambiance of this fabulous little getaway on the river. There is not one thing negative I can say about this place and I will definitely go back soon!

Room Tip: If you want total privacy I would stay at the "Hideaway". Small trailer on property just a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Let me start out by saying, this is my first Tripadvisor post ever. I usually come on Tripadvisor to gather information, but I have never posted my findings… This place made me change that.

This place was AMAZING! And I could not praise the proprietress enough.

My fiancé and I chose the hideaway for various reasons. More privacy, our own beach, and cheaper. My fiancé grew up in a family of Prevost owners, and I was worried she’d think the hide away was not up to her standards… I was completely wrong. She loved it!

We spent our days reading on the beach, we had dinners on the large rocks that jetted out into the river. Our evenings were spent by the bond fire, and our nights filled with star gazing and sleeping to the relaxing sounds of the river.

The very well maintained and manicured property set up the very definition of relaxation and perfection.

I have read a total of 2 bad reviews on this place, and countless positive ones. I guess it would be an injustice not to give my input on the negative ones.

Someone said “the sounds of the river were louder than the 405 during rush hour“… I don’t even know where to start with it. It’s a moving river which includes rapids… it makes noise. But to compare it to the chaos of the 405 is ridiculous. I would say it sounded like the beach and the waves. Except the sounds of the waves were constant not intermittent. We thought it was phenomenal.

Someone said that “Mars (the proprietress) was over baring and constantly present and they felt they had no privacy. That all they wanted was privacy and the room key, and it took a half hour just to get that.” That is a complete exaggeration. When you check in, she does show you the grounds and does take some time and show you’re the amenities of the room… it took a total of 10 minutes. She was present throughout the weekend. But not over baring, or even noticeable. You would see her walking the grounds here and there. And occasionally check in to see how you were doing if she noticed you outside. I sum up her presence as this, she was there here and there, she was never to far when you needed her, and the couple of times when she would check in with you, she was always a welcomed site.

Someone said “we were told we would get smores, but we didn’t”…. suck it up, spend $5 and go get them. I too read about the smores, but I decided to make the rather lavish expenditure of $5 and provide them myself. Yes, it was well worth the $5, so I recommend you bring them up too.

If there was any negative I could say, it would be that we were told the hideaway came with its own bbq. In fact the bbq was a grill grate for the bon fire pit. The grill grate didn’t exactly fit and rested on the coals. We had to put in 4 rocks to prop the grate up. The main house does have a gas bbq you can use, but our converted grill grate would do the trick… and I’ve definitely cooked on worse… but it might not be a bad idea to bring your own portable charcoal grill.

In closing, this was definitely the best long weekend getaway we’ve ever had. We will definitely be back. Mars was an amazing endearing host and well welcomed. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with all the bells and whistles, and massages and day spas, etc… Rio Sierra is not for you. If you are looking for the epitome of a getaway and relaxation… this place is for you. If you are looking for a camper experience with the most ideal camp spot you could find… the hideaway option is for you.

When we were leaving I was trying to figure out how to put to words our weekend. I think Mars summed it up best when we checked out. She said “she could tell we got swept up in the magic of the river.” There is not a better way to describe it other than that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

+ BBQ, privacy, Beach chairs, big room, surrounding, service

- The owner is really friendly and helpfull but a little too overprotective off her guests, cleanliness could have been better, the price (though it was worth it)

Do stay at this great little place! It feels like a holiday at the beach

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio Sierra Riverhouse? Share your experiences!