“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
Burbank, California
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was very impressed with the entire accommodations of the Rio Sierra Riverhouse. Mars (Margaret) was an amazing host all during my stay at the private "Hideaway" trailer. She even came to light the fire-pit fire every night. The trailer is perfect for a couple or someone needing to escape the busy lifestyle that one may have. All the rooms were perfectly clean and neat. The atmosphere is welcoming and charming all at the same time. The pictures on the website don't capture the true ambiance of this fabulous little getaway on the river. There is not one thing negative I can say about this place and I will definitely go back soon!

Room Tip: If you want total privacy I would stay at the "Hideaway". Small trailer on property just a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Let me start out by saying, this is my first Tripadvisor post ever. I usually come on Tripadvisor to gather information, but I have never posted my findings… This place made me change that.

This place was AMAZING! And I could not praise the proprietress enough.

My fiancé and I chose the hideaway for various reasons. More privacy, our own beach, and cheaper. My fiancé grew up in a family of Prevost owners, and I was worried she’d think the hide away was not up to her standards… I was completely wrong. She loved it!

We spent our days reading on the beach, we had dinners on the large rocks that jetted out into the river. Our evenings were spent by the bond fire, and our nights filled with star gazing and sleeping to the relaxing sounds of the river.

The very well maintained and manicured property set up the very definition of relaxation and perfection.

I have read a total of 2 bad reviews on this place, and countless positive ones. I guess it would be an injustice not to give my input on the negative ones.

Someone said “the sounds of the river were louder than the 405 during rush hour“… I don’t even know where to start with it. It’s a moving river which includes rapids… it makes noise. But to compare it to the chaos of the 405 is ridiculous. I would say it sounded like the beach and the waves. Except the sounds of the waves were constant not intermittent. We thought it was phenomenal.

Someone said that “Mars (the proprietress) was over baring and constantly present and they felt they had no privacy. That all they wanted was privacy and the room key, and it took a half hour just to get that.” That is a complete exaggeration. When you check in, she does show you the grounds and does take some time and show you’re the amenities of the room… it took a total of 10 minutes. She was present throughout the weekend. But not over baring, or even noticeable. You would see her walking the grounds here and there. And occasionally check in to see how you were doing if she noticed you outside. I sum up her presence as this, she was there here and there, she was never to far when you needed her, and the couple of times when she would check in with you, she was always a welcomed site.

Someone said “we were told we would get smores, but we didn’t”…. suck it up, spend $5 and go get them. I too read about the smores, but I decided to make the rather lavish expenditure of $5 and provide them myself. Yes, it was well worth the $5, so I recommend you bring them up too.

If there was any negative I could say, it would be that we were told the hideaway came with its own bbq. In fact the bbq was a grill grate for the bon fire pit. The grill grate didn’t exactly fit and rested on the coals. We had to put in 4 rocks to prop the grate up. The main house does have a gas bbq you can use, but our converted grill grate would do the trick… and I’ve definitely cooked on worse… but it might not be a bad idea to bring your own portable charcoal grill.

In closing, this was definitely the best long weekend getaway we’ve ever had. We will definitely be back. Mars was an amazing endearing host and well welcomed. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with all the bells and whistles, and massages and day spas, etc… Rio Sierra is not for you. If you are looking for the epitome of a getaway and relaxation… this place is for you. If you are looking for a camper experience with the most ideal camp spot you could find… the hideaway option is for you.

When we were leaving I was trying to figure out how to put to words our weekend. I think Mars summed it up best when we checked out. She said “she could tell we got swept up in the magic of the river.” There is not a better way to describe it other than that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

+ BBQ, privacy, Beach chairs, big room, surrounding, service

- The owner is really friendly and helpfull but a little too overprotective off her guests, cleanliness could have been better, the price (though it was worth it)

Do stay at this great little place! It feels like a holiday at the beach

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ryderonthestorm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011 via mobile

Very relaxed. Enjoyed the soothings sounds and sights of the rivers. Our host, Mars, was very friendly. This place was a great respite and a very welcoming place to come back to after a day exploring and hiking in Sequoia.

• Stayed October 2011
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Our stay in the Rio Sierra was absolutely amazing. The location of the house is right by the river with private access to the water - amazing to go for a splash after a day in the hot weather!
The room we had, with a view over the river, was very good, with a comfortable bed, good bathroom and seating area. We didn't feel we needed the room with the private balcony as there is plenty of seating available by the river front and there are only a small number of rooms - so there are never too many guests.

Mars, the owner, was very welcoming and helpful and gave us great advise on the local amenities as well as good hikes in Sequioa NP. Beach towels were ready for us to use by the river and she made us camp fires both nights even though we were the only guest staying - that made our stay very special.

We stayed for two nights and had take away breakfast and dinner by the river every day - the location and was too good not to enjoy as much as possible. The local restaurants are not particularly exciting, but the pizza place was great for take away and sitting by the fire at the rio sierra with a bottle of wine was just spectacular.
Access to the park was very easy and quick and having also stayed in one of the park accommodations I would definitely recommended staying in Three Rivers and driving in. It is much better value for money.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, great for couples in particular - very romantic.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My family stayed at Rio Sierra only one night but would have loved to stay longer. We had an amazing suite that had it's own patio overlooking the river. The accomodations were great and the owner is such a nice lady. There are several tables and chairs down by the river and a couple of fire pits to enjoy at night. We enjoyed every meal outside and falling asleep to the roar of the river was so relaxing. I recommend this place for couples, families, and even lone travelers. There is something for everyone here!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I've stayed at Four Seasons and other top class resorts around the world and Mars at Rio Sierra provides the same level of 5 star service in Three Rivers all on her own. The setting is spectacular, a quite spot with a calm river running through it. There are always fresh towels out, fires at night and a cozy room to retire to after hiking among the sequoias. Mars is always there but never seen unless you want her. I could fill this review with superlatives, but I think you get the picture. The icing on the cake: you can get up early and be in the park for bear spotting at dawn. An experience I won't soon forget.

Room Tip: The Garden room was perfect
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio Sierra Riverhouse? Share your experiences!