“Low end motel” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   45978 Sierra Drive, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Low end motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Our room was so-so. This is a very old motel with little updating. The shutters on our windows would not stay shut and one had tape over it to hold the slats shut. The bathroom was ok but the entry to the shower had broken tiles. The bulbs were burned out in two lamps. The TV and Direct TV units were not plugged in. The cleaning people only changed the towels and emptied the trash can. The only positive is it is about 1/4 mile from the Sequioa Park entrance.

There is a restaurant at the motel. The food was very good and the view of the river was great; but the prices were very high; a bottle of Negra Modelo beer was $6.50, I can buy a six pack for $8.00. The dinner prices are from 15.00 - 30.00+; the 15.00 is for a hamburger.

Looking at the other motels in the area, they don't look much better. We thought Three Rivers would be a cool little city but it is about a five mile stretch of an occassional store here and there; not much going for it considering it is just outside one of the best National Parks in the US.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have read the reviews of this place after I made a reservation. I found the staff to be very nice and my room was nice and clean. We stayed in room number one and the bed was very comfy. For the price, what are peeps expecting? Yes.. the place may be slightly dated, but the room was great for my needs. I would definatly stay again, I also ate at the restraunt, again, prices were elevated by a couple of bucks, yet my burger was tasty, fesh and hit the spot, after a long day this establishment met my needs. I will say no cell phone service but the staff were more than accomodating in letting us use thier house phone.

• Stayed August 2010
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

After reading the reviews I'm so glad I stayed at the Buckeye Tree Lodge next door. My daughter & I did have a take-out chicken Ceasar salad from the Gateway resaurant for $15.00 each, but were disappointed. First I thought the price was a bit high, but what little dressing was put on was very, very weak to the point that you could barely taste the flavor. I used some extra Parmesan cheese packets, left over from a pizza restaurant down the road, and tried to improve the salad taste with little sucess. My daughter threw her salad away. If it wasn't for the fact that I would have had to walk back to the restaurant after settling in for the night, I would have returned the food. The dressing was so weak it made me wonder if was watered down on purpose because I had Ceasar dressing & my daughter had Ranch & both were very lacking. I would not eat there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mesa, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was the most disgustingly dirty hotel I have ever stayed in. The carpet was filthy, the bedskirts torn and tattered, we killed 3 spiders in the bathroom, and another one jumped on me in my bed! I had to pull the mattress back to reach an electrical outlet and the carpet there was thick with debris - obviously not touched in years. I will never stay there again, and would not recommend that ANYONE ever stay there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Monrovia, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Did not stay at the lodge. Stopped in the restaurant after a long first day in the park. Unfortunately we did not look at the menu before being seated. The prices are completely outrageous! We were just too embarrassed to leave at that point. We asked to sit at a table with a river view (four were empty) and were told that those were being held for people with reservations. Two of the tables remained unoccupied the entire time we were there. Our waitress forgot about us once the food came. Had the chicken and rib combo. The chicken was dried out as if it had been waiting for some time and was way over seasoned. The ribs had been cooking way too long too. There are a number of better options in town. Unfortunately we had to learn a lesson first. Take heed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I have stayed in a lot of different types of accomodation, at different price points, over the years. This is the first time I have ever posted a review. I feel I have to so I can try to save other people from this place! We stayed here as it was listed as an ok place in our guide book. (I will be writing to the guide book people too!) We arrived late at night having called ahead to book for one night and on a positive note the staff were nice and helpful on arrival. We ate first as the kitchen was closing soon. We were tired from driving a long way and pleased to arrive. The restaurant/bar area is fine and our waiter was good. It was quiet, with only one other table eating. We thought we had found a great base for our visit to the National Park. Then it all went wrong. Our food was terrible. To cut a long story short, my husband, who only ate a bit of his overcooked and strange tasting pasta was sick all night (and the following day). About an hour after we went to our room (I think we were the only guests) he became ill and was basically up all through the night. I too did not sleep much, not from sickness but from freaking out about how dirty and horrible the room was. Had we arrived at a reasonable hour, we would have left. I have never stayed in such a dirty, miserable room. It was depressing. The sink and toilet were clean in themselves, but other surfaces, bathroom walls and corners were dirty, and the carpet by the side of the bed was dusty, dirty. The whole room had seen better days, which would be fine if you didn't feel that it has not been properly cleaned for months. I don't mind something old and well used, but dirty?! There is no need for that. Basically, I don't think the room had been used for some time and it was just stale and dirty. I was dubious about the sheets and wore lots of clothes in bed! One positive- the heater was very warm! I notice from another review that 20% tip was added to the check - this was the same for us, very annoying for a meal that was overpriced even before it poisoned my husband! The people here seemed nice but really, this is a terrible place. $90 for the meal and $80 for the room. Totally ripped off. The next day we continued our journey and having been frightened off small motels checked into a chain one that night. I have never been so happy to check into a Best Western - it was like being in a 5* hotel after the Gateway.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
san diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in planning a night stay. The host was not friendly and the place is a mess. The shower looked like it had not been cleaned and the sheets on the bed were questionable. The restaurant has a nice patio with a river view but the prices are way over the top. I would NOT recommend this place for a stay even for one night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Gateway Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!