“Loved it, quiet, comfortable and cute!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cort Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Three Rivers
Cort Cottage Bed and Breakfast
You added Cort Cottage Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
44141 Skyline Drive, Three Rivers, CA 93271   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Three Rivers B&B and Inns
Lockport, Il
“Loved it, quiet, comfortable and cute!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We spent 3 nights here while hiking Kings and Seqouia Canyons. Wonderful place to stay, nice and quiet, very private, and wonderful views! Every amenity one could need; shampoo, soaps, a cooler to use, cute little deck to sit out on and listen to the creek and birds, wonderful supplies for breakfast, we especially enjoyed the fruit and granola. It was like a little home away from home. We would stay here again in a minute!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Berlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I planned to visit Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park for our vacation August 2011 for 8 nights. I pride myself on doing extensive research about accommodations in order to choose unique properties that provide a homey local feel. I couldn't have been more pleased with Cort Cottage! I was blown away by the view (as much as I could see in the dark) as we drove toward the town of Three Rivers and then by the little lights and the scent of herbs as we walked the path down to the cottage. It was everything I dreamed and more.
A few weeks before the trip, my adult daughter decided to join us and the cottage had a futon in the living area that suited her very well. As a matter of fact, she had the most gorgeous view from the living room window as she woke up!
Elsah, our innkeeper had left eggs, fresh fruit, muffins and cinnamon toast, butter, Langer's REAL fruit juice, coffee, oatmeal, healthy cereals, and I forget what else...wow! There were spices, plastic wrap and foil, oil, and other kinds of cooking necessities that are things we would have had to buy, but didn't have to... We love to prepare our own food most of the time, but also ate a couple of meals out. (Elsah gave us a great restaurant recommendation) Since we were there to hike, we were out early in the day and came back late. Elsah would have the air conditioning running upon our return and we even found our breakfast dishes done one day! Now that was over and beyond and I certainly would't expect that. She gave us the privacy we like on a get-away, although we had her phone number and could have knocked on her door at any time. She watered the flowers on the deck each day, but I never saw her do it...she was so respectful of our privacy. We truly felt like Cort Cottage was our home for the week! We are early risers and sat on the deck each morning watching the butterflies and hummingbirds stop by and we enjoyed the delicious scent of the herbs planted all around. We used the herbs in our cooking. What a delight! We alternated out strenuous hiking days with relaxing sight-seeing in the park and Elsah gave us a fantastic recommendation for a quiet, safe swimming hole near the park entrance. We were very careful at the river because the currents are very dangerous, but this spot was great for putting our feet in while reading a book on the rocks and listening to the nearby rushing water. On our last evening, we invited Elsah for dinner. What lovely company. The next morning we departed refreshed and rested and ready to go back to the hustle and bustle of the east coast. It was a wonderful vacation for all of us. The view is breathtaking!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
san diego, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We recently spent 3 nights at the Cort Cottage. We loved it. It is located up a hill with great views from a large window in the front. The cottage is lovely, just the right combination of quaint, cute, rustic, secluded, and quiet. Our 11 year old daughter loved the futon bed, my husband loved that there was satellite TV and WIFI, and I loved the huge selection of teas and the well stocked refrigerator. LOVED the raisin bread and fresh strawberries.

Elsah, the owner, is great. I was a bit apprehensive about a B & B because we like our privacy, but she introduced herself, gave us some pointers about the park, and then left us to enjoy our vacation. Contrary to the previous reviewer's comments, she was available when we needed, and we enjoyed the tour of her art studio.

When we drove by some of the other accomodation choices I considered, I was so happy we found the Cort Cottage. For the same price as an average motel we got this great location all to ourselves. If you like hiking, there are trails just a short walk down the street. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Malden, THE netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed for two nights at Corts cottage and we truly enjoyed it. Staying in THE USA for three weeks, it is wonderfull to Find à home away from home. Not just your NeXT motel along THE road. It is quietly located in three rivers, just à short drive from sequoia national parc. THE cottage does provide for everything and i do not understand THE last review. elsah provider à good breakfast that you do have to fix yourself. that has THE positive effect that you decide enen you eat. It is à quiet neighbourhood with privacy at THE cottage and à beautiful view from THE deck. lovely stay!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

My husband and I chose this B & B based on reviews. First I would note this B&B has been in business 25 years and only has 11 reviews. Positives: Location and calming view. Negatives: the breakfast was a joke. The owner brings you stuff so you can supposedly make your own breakfast. Personally I go on vacation to not cook. But anyway, fine. The bad part was she did not even give us milk or OJ or even jam for the toast. We got half a dozen white eggs, Koolaid that tasted like paint, white toast and some raisin toast, white sugar and some butter -- that is it. Oh, and some half and half for the coffee if you choose to make it. So after the first night we ate at a local diner. Other cons, the owner did not even check with us after the first night if we needed anything. I found this odd. She dropped off eggs first night and was gone. We have stayed in many B & B's and for the amount of money she charged in the dead of winter I would have expected a decent breakfast, perhaps a radio/music in the cottage and some shampoo perhaps (I forgot mine and it would have been nice to have the little bottles most places offer.)

All in all the location is lovely and it has a nice trail to walk nearby, the cottage is private and the view really pretty. However, I felt it was over priced for the service or quality. Bed was comfortable enough and cottage was fine. Handy to have a kitchen. However, again, would have been nice of owner to change trash bin liners or check to see if we need anything for breakfast after first night........would not go again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
elsahcort, Owner at Cort Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
After reading this review I sent an email message directly to this recent guest:

I am so sorry to hear that your stay in the cottage was disappointing to you. Your review on TripAdvisor really shocked me.

I would have been glad to have helped you in any way, if you had let me know. I did say to let me know if you needed anything, and also this is written in the information book I have on the kitchen table (with my phone number so guests can call me using the cottage phone). I deliberately give my guests privacy in the cottage, so I don't go over to the cottage every day unless I am asked.

It does state on the website, that food is left in the cottage for breakfast, but breakfast is not cooked for guests. I try to make the breakfast selection as full as possible, giving you fruit, bread (it was sourdough bread and the good raisin bread I buy), eggs, juice (it was cran-raspberry juice not kool aid, which I have not had since I was a child), raisin bran, homemade granola, oatmeal, real butter, freshly ground french roast coffee (two drawers full of herbal and black teas), and yes, half and half as an upgrade from milk. I don't leave milk anymore for the cereal, as everyone wants a different kind of milk. The half and half is an upgrade, to use for coffee or cereal. People rarely drink milk, so the half and half solution has evolved over the years. I have never had anyone complain about the breakfast, in fact most people tell me how they love what I give them.

There is shampoo in the drawers in the bathroom, along with shower caps, conditioner, lotion, organic shower soap, little soaps and a hair dryer.

There also is a CD player in the living room so guests can play music if they want to. I have no way to get radio stations here as the signals do not reach Three Rivers. There is a full selection of music from Dish Network with over 20+ stations to choose from that play only music.

I am not sure what the connection is between 25 years as a bed and breakfast and only 11 reviews. I have many guest books full of reviews, that are there to read in the cottage. It has only been in the last several years that the travel industry has been online. When I first started there was no internet at all, and I was listed in over 10 bed and breakfast books, having been chosen by the authors. Not everyone takes the time to go online and write a review. Plus I have only one "room" essentially and four weekends a month (when most people come) so I don't have a big number of guests. Some of the other bed and breakfasts in town have 5 rooms or more, so they have a bigger number to gather reviews from.

I have not changed my rates for the cottage in almost five years, and the majority of other bed and breakfasts in Three Rivers have higher rates than me. There are two that are lower than me, but they give you a room in a house. I give you a private house.

After reading about your experience, I am going to make sure I make it as clear as possible to guests to let me know if they need anything at all. I had no clues from you that you were unhappy, you seemed just fine to me. Again, I wish I had known about your unhappiness, as I would have done my best to help you.

I see my cottage as a service for people who need a respite from their busy lives. I have spent a great deal of time and thought to make it comfortable, well-equipped and a good experience. It pains me that it was not so for you.

I am sorry if this email is odd in any way. I have never written one like this before, because I have never had the need to write one before.
Your review has affected me deeply.

Elsah Cort
_______________________________
And, I add this here as a response to this review:
I see my guest cottage as a special gift and service for people who benefit from coming here for a connection with nature and mountains. I have spent a great deal of time and consideration to make it comfortable, well-equipped and a pleasant experience for guests. Everyone has different expectations and I realize that not everyone can be pleased. I take comments personally, because I personally do all the chores in creating this bed and breakfast experience, from website creation, to bleaching the bathroom spotless (from my training as a registered nurse), to bringing the breakfast over in a picnic basket (the reason these guests saw me just bringing eggs was because I had already brought the rest of the breakfast over and I forgot my little wire chicken that holds the fresh [white] eggs), to providing wireless internet and choosing the books for the special reading library in the cottage (including the little lighted Christmas tree and decorations that were out for these guests). It is hard for me to hear that someone was not happy here.
Kenilworth, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

A very unique place, so different from the norm. We had flown from the East Coast and spent 3 days running around, then drove half a day to Three Rivers. The rushing and stress stopped upon walking down the stone path to Cort Cottage. It's like you've gone to your own private retreat away from it all. Going up the road and seeing Sequoia was the goal, but had the park not been there, I would have been just as happy staying at the cottage for three days, reading a book and doing nothing. The stocked refrigerator and kitchen was one of the nicest things, we had been eating out for days, and just to sit down and have breakfast was nice, and we shopped in town, picked up groceries and made dinner, which was a very nice change. The only reason I would not recommend going here is if it becomes popular, then I may have trouble getting a reservation to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

After 5 days in Sequoia National Park -- part backpacking, part lodging - we made our way to Cort Cottage. A place to settle before we headed back to "the world". Did we ever strike it rich! We arrived late (after dark) but the pathway to the cottage was lit by walklights.....the cottage was open and ready for us. Elsah (owner) had supplied us with eggs and coffee and fruit and oj and toast for breakfast the next morning. So we were happy!
It was a warm night. We made a quick supper (fully stocked kitchen made it SO nice!) - and ate outside on the deck/porch....not knowing what our surroundings looked like -- but knowing that it was quiet and lovely.
We woke to an incredible view of the Cash Mtn BLM area - trees and birds and foothills.
We loved our stay and tranquility there - SO MUCH- that we asked if we could stay one more night!

I highly recommend the Cort Cottage. If you're expecting "Marriott" style - this isn't for you.
But if you're looking for comfort and tranquility and poetry and beauty and your own "spot in time" -- then I highly recommend the Cort Cottage!

Only a few miles to the entrance to Sequoia Natl Park. We feel lucky to have found it!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cort Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!