“Billed as a great Steak place, and probably once was” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Williamstown, Australia
“Billed as a great Steak place, and probably once was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We were served by Betty who was a treasure, and while the restaurant was old and a little tired, it sort of added to it's charm - but the Steak just didn't add up to the promise.... A "rare to medium rare" came out as medium, but the quality of the steak was tough and chewy, nothing suggested the fine cut of meat I expect from a Steak house.
So, if you are staying at the Holiday Inn a short walk away, a good solid meal, but think diner quality of food.
Cheerio

Visited April 2013

Portland, Maine, United States
“Old school place that doesn't dent your wallet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We FINALLY stopped in to the Hilltop Steak House after driving by it for years and years on our way to Boston. Yes the place has been around for a long time so everything isn't brand new but overall we found the atmosphere to be just fine for dinner. I had a burger and she had the fish and chips. Both were fine, my burger probably being the better of the two plates. I would suggest going with meat if you dine here - that seems to be their specialty. We found the prices to be low, the service to be quick and the people to be friendly. It didn't change our lives but our meal was sufficient. We probably would not return and just try something else in the area but I'm glad we finally have Hilltop crossed off the bucket list!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
durham, nh
“Definitely a faded gem!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hilltop has been around for eons (or seems like it anyway), and has definitely seen better days. But it's still a fun place to go with a group. The food is consistent, which means it easily matches all the chain restaurants, but you won't be amazed by your dining experience. If you go with a hankering for steak and potatoes along with a big salad, you'll be pleased with the experience. Not great, but certainly not a bad meal either. Our waitress was awesome - a 14 year veteran of Hilltop, and loads of fun! My steak was good - cooked correctly, flavorful, decent cut and decently priced. The place could certainly use a makeover, but then it wouldn't be the Hilltop! Enjoy it for what it is - a faded but fun return to yester-year!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Always a great meal here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been coming here for 20 years and we still love it. Although the portions are not as big as in the past, we love the food! Take a bottle of the house dressing home.. delicious!

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Worst ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

the food was horrible! I ordered the lobster casserole. I got a 4 inch plate of lobster meat that was so tough, that cutting it was like trying to cut through a piece of old chuck steak! I left my cell phone in the car, otherwise, I would have taken a picture of the 5 inch meal that I received. Years ago, I had the lobster pie, it was scrumptous! Along with the meal came 10 green beans, no bread, no butter. The service was horrible. I had to ask for things several times in a row before I got them. $31.95 for 4 pieces of tough lobster meat (It was so tough that I wondered if it really was lobster) and 10 green beans. If you cant produce the same quality food, then the lobster pie should be taken off the menu. When I saw how tiny it was, i thought, "i am sure that this is going to wow my tastebuds for it to cost so much!" Boy was I dissapointed. The staff should know that for meals that cost over $30.00, make sure that you give bread and butter. If I had stuffed my face with bread and butter, I would not have felt so hungry and mad that the Hilltop took me to the cleaners. After that measly meal, I got in my car and went to Kelly's Roast beef and for $17.95 I had a clam dinner that was on the money! Hilltop management should walk over to Kelly's and hire some of the staff over to work for them. What a ripoff!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere