“Great food -- but need reservation” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saugus, Massachusetts, United States
“Great food -- but need reservation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Everything we ate was delicious. I got the chicken with potatoes and vinegar peppers, and it was outstanding. I did use a Groupon and had no issues. I would have given this restaurant a 5 star rating, but I did try to eat here on a Saturday night -- and waited 2 hours without being seated (after continuously being told that we were next to be seated). I finally had to leave since we were too hungry to wait any longer. There was also no place to wait to be seated, so I had to stand up against a wall where the bar was, and it was uncomfortable with people banging into me to get to the bathroom. So if you do go, make a reservation.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Lynn, Massachusetts
“1st time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great food on our first time here. Prices were good. Caprese Salad was a big portion with great flavor. We will be back soon!

Visited December 2013
Newburyport, MA
“Watch out if using a Groupon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I called last week at around 4 to see if there was availability for dinner at night for 3 of us and there was not. However, according to the host I could make a reservation for anytime the following Saturday. So I agreed to that and told him I had a groupon expiring on 11/23 (the Saturday of the reservation) and does that mean it is still good on Saturday? He said that it should be fine. I asked for him to double check because I didn't want to drive all the way there and find out it was no good. He told me he checked with a manager and it was okay, I could use it.
I called today to confirm the time of the reservation and the person who answered (I'm assuming was the owner or the manager for a number of reasons I won't bore anyone with) kept cutting me off ever time I started to ask my question with a very loud and obnoxious "HELLO?!". After three or four go arounds of this, I was finally able to get the sentence out without being interrupted (and my phone was not on mute because I checked numerous times, obviously very confused by this conversation, or lack thereof. The gentleman informed me there was no record of a reservation, but would I like one. We made one, and then he said "just check your groupon because some of them have expired". And I responded that I had specifically asked the prior week if it was still good on the day it expired, and I was assured it was. He rudely stated "it's not, sorry, promotional value has expired, you can still use the amount paid though. I was obviously very frustrated at this point, having already confirmed this with the helpful gentleman the week before who never took down my reservation. Sensing the frustration in my voice, he said "you're yelling at me!!" I responded that I was not, in fact, yelling, but it was obviously frustrated that I was being treated as though this entire conversation the week before was a figment of my imagination. At which point he hung up on me. So, I'll be eating the $$ that I paid for this groupon, because I can't believe how rude this man was and whether he was the owner, the manager, or a host, I definitely don't want to eat there. It's unfortunate, because I have eaten there a few times before, and the food was decent, but not good enough to be berated and treated like I was. I would suggest using your groupon plenty of time before it expires (as I admittedly should have in hindsight), getting the name of the employee when making a reservation, and avoiding any real conversation with the person on the other end because it won't end pretty.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Haverhill, Ma
“Great food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable! We had a party of 8 and when we arrived for our reservation the table was waiting for us. When seated our waiter Chris came over and took our drink order and appetizers. we ordered the antipasto for 4, calamari and mussels. These all were very good but the antipasto stood out. One of the specials was a salmon over risotto and 2 were served, also the haddock was very well done. I had the veal ripeno and it had probably the tenderest veal I have outside of Italy. All the dishes served were enormous portions, especially the steak di Mare, a very nice sirloin with shrimp and potatoes.Dessert was shocking, 2 in the party ordered the fried dough balls with ice cream and drizzled with raspberry syrup. Three of us ate of one serving and there was still some left on the plate. I thought the price was very good for the quality and quantity of the food and service received. We will definitely be back!

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“good local italian fare....family run”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

good and ample portions served by members of the family....very local flair in unpretentious location in a strip mall between convenience store and dunkin donuts.....large portions

• Visited September 2013