“Clarion Has a Lot Going For It” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eureka, CA
“Clarion Has a Lot Going For It”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2005

The Clarion Palm Garden was the best-priced decent-quality motel that I could find while visiting Thousand Oaks. The motel has lovely grounds, plus an attractive pool/jacuzzi area.

We showed up at 10:30am and the desk cheerfully let us check in early, which was much appreciated. Other inquiries were also handled professionally and well.

Their free breakfast is better than average, offering waffles, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage in addition to the usual array of breads, cereals, and fresh fruit. Actually, the fresh fruit was more varied than the apples and bananas served in some hotel chains. It included pineapple, honeydew, cantaloupe, and grapes. There were several choices of juices, too, which this non-coffee-drinker appreciated.

We visited the adjacent Eric's Restaurant at lunchtime. The food and service was excellent, with a good array of salads for greens lovers, personal pizzas, and many other choices. Nice tempting dessert tray, too! You have the choice of the main room, an indoor patio, and an outdoor patio. The main room is "live", though, and was made even more noisy by three separate celebrations going on at the time we came in. If you're looking for a quiet intimate conversation, this isn't the place. It makes for a nice Friday night happy hour atmosphere, though, with glowing candlelight everywhere.

The rooms are nicely-sized and well-appointed with attractive furniture. We had a refrigerator, microwave, and sofa in our room in addition to the usual motel furniture.

My only quarrel with the Palm Garden is a subjective prejudice. I prefer to have a layout that allows me to open my windows for ventilation and my drapes so that I don't feel like I'm living in a cave. The Palm Garden has a motel-like layout where sidewalks go right by your room, and you can't open windows and drapes without giving up your security and privacy. That's unfortunate since the grounds are so attractive.

I also dislike motel-style window-based HVAC units. I'm never able to tune this to one setting that will keep me comfortable throughout the night, and they're typically noisy. The Palm Garden has window units rather than central heat/air with a thermostat. In T.O.'s 90-degree summer heat, I could choose between a fan setting that left me too hot or an air conditioning setting that froze me out.

If you don't share my prejudices against dark rooms and window HVAC units, the Clarion Palm Garden is an excellent choice. It does have a lot going for it. If you do have my prejudices, you may wish to try the Holiday Inn across the street.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Washington, DC Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The Palm Garden is located right in a small town center/shopping complex (restaraunts near by, knicknack shops, hair stylist gas station ...all on the same property). My room was clean and well furnished. There was a fridge and microwave right in the room (which is great for the grocery store runs to the nearby Supermarket...less than a minute away). The major plus for me was the free high speed internet access in the room--just plug and play! Also the free continental breakfast was more than adequate and had a nice variety of foods. I would recommend this place to stay for the tech/wired savvy business traveler who needs a base in the west valley or thousand oaks. If you are without a car or expect to see some of the sights within walking distance--this hotel will not be the place for you. Overall I had a good stay here and the staff was pretty helpful.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

I'm a business traveler who's on the road frequently. This hotel by far is the worst I've been to for the price range ($120/night). The room was old and dirty. I couldn't find anything good to say about it. The services were horrible. They need to renovate the hotel, starting with demolishing everything!

If you have to stay in the area, go to the Holiday Inn nearby. It's far more superior when it comes to cleanliness and staff services.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
South Lake Tahoe, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

This hotel is a great value! We stayed 2 nights in this beautifully manicured hotel. The gardens are pleasant and the pool is sparkling clean. Our room was very nice (we stayed in 212), although the housekeeping could have been a bit better. Not that it was dirty, it just was not stocked correctly with towels and the pillow cases did not fit the pillows. One word to the maid and this was quickly remedied.
Mon-Thurs the hotel offers a free happy hour with 1 free cocktail of your choice (after that, the cocktails are only $1 each!), and hot snacks...very nice. We ate enough to keep us from going out for dinner! And daily, they serve a really great full American breakfast... it was easily as good as any breakfast we could have eaten out...and it was FREE!
This hotel does not have elevators, so if you need a handicapped facility, you will need to choose a downstairs room. The freeway is not far from the hotel, but because of the angle of the hotel, it was actually reasonably quiet.
Palm Garden is only a couple of miles from a beautiful mall. Though it is right next to a grocery store and small shopping center, and easy access to the freeway. The hotel also has free high-speed internet access.
There is no question that we will stay at this hotel when we are in this area.

Kirkland, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2004

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in June 2004. The hotel was fine. The room was clean. It faced the freeway, but with the window closed we didn't really hear the noise. On the plus side, the staff at the hotel was very nice and let us check in 2 hours ahead of time. We were also very impressed by the breakfast, which was included with the price of the room. We were expecting a typical spread of muffins and juice, but breakfast included eggs, pancakes, bacon and potatoes. One problem was with housekeeping, who came to clean the room at 9am and then again at 10am, even though checkout is at noon. One other thing we noticed was that used room service items were outside one of the rooms when we checked in, and they were still there when we checked out the next day around 11am. And I know that someone from housekeeping walked by at least twice! If I need to stay there again, I will look for someplace else.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

Had to write in after seeing the notes displayed. I've been coordinating special events and conferences for about 15 years so did my homework when planning where our wedding guests would stay last summer. Clarion Palm Garden was primary host hotel for our wedding guests, and we also hosted our rehearsal dinner there. ALL of our family and friends LOVED their stay and found the staff exceptionally helpful. Eric's Restaurant is also an excellent value and a nice evening out. Many of our wedding party now eat there regularly. (Back to booking our conference rooms!)

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2003

THIS HOTEL IS NOT WORTH A DIME, not to mention that we paid over $200.00 for a one (1) night stay, and thank God it was only 1 night. The best this establishment has to offer, is their advertising agency. Creative, yet totally misleading. The truth is, upon your arrival, plan an estimated 25 - 30 minutes for check-in, (no crowd, not a soul, just a lot of excuses). In the "Suite", so they call it, it is almost impossible to find light switches, the few they have are well hidden. The amenities for your low grade coffee amount to nothing, attempting to obtain extra shouldn't be a problem with the free full breakfast they serve, except they don't, not even coffee. Forget the paper, pick one up on your way out, they like to come into your room at 9:30 am, not the posted 12:00 pm checkout time, 9:30am to clen your room. And the list goes on..........Rooms are not extremely clean, sheets are clean or appear to be, grounds are nothing to get excited about, staff is totally unfriendly as well as untrained. ETC> ETC>

• Stayed November 2003

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!