“Good value--easy on/off freeway.” 5 of 5 stars

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1320 Newbury Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320   |
San Diego, California, USA
“Good value--easy on/off freeway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a clean family oriented motel. The spa was clean & hot, as was the continental breakfast. We did an early check in & they were most accommodating. We have stayed here before and will again. Be sure to mention AAA or whatever discounts you might have as it saved us $10/ night

• Stayed April 2013

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Caerleon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We used this hotel for a nights stop over on our drive to San Francisco. It suited our needs perfectly. It cost us 40 bucks. The rooms were clean and offered good value. Everything worked. Staff was friendly. ample parking. I don't think you can get much better for this price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed for three nights in the end of March. Our house was being fumigated, so we researched the area and discovered that our dog could stay for free - a huge plus. We had three teenage kids with us, so they allowed us to stay in a suite on the third floor overlooking the pool and jacuzzi. The bedstand lights did not work in the master bedroom, but other than that, the room was clean and comfortable, and the bed was very comfortable (a cal king I believe - very large).
The flatscreen tv had 36 channels including Showtime. The picture quality was very good. They even have a white noise feature that is an ocean wave, a field or a stream - I thought that was very unique. We brought our DVD player and rented a movie from redbox each night to entertain the family. The kids stayed in the second room, which contained a sleeper couch (it was not very comfortable with a thin mattress and the springs were coming through - at least according to my 6 foot tall 17 year old son who slept there). We brought two camping cots from home and my two girls slept on those. There was a second flat screen tv in the living room, as well as a mini fridge and a microwave. The bathrooms (one in each room - which is nice) had tubs with showers, as well as a sink, coffee maker and blow dryer.
We used the hot tub all three nights. The second morning it appeared to be broken and we could not use it in the morning, but they fixed it. The pool area is clean and was very pleasant.
The first night we were there the police were called to a domestic. The second night we were there I was exhausted and went to bed at 10:15 p.m. I immediately fell asleep, only to be woken up by the front desk telephoning to let me know that a neighboring room had complained of noise in my room at 11:20. This is the reason that I gave this 3 stars instead of 4. There was no excessive noise coming from our room. I was asleep. It must have been coming from another room. I was angry to be woken up. It seems like a basic concept that the front desk would do an investigation to determine where the noise, if there was any, was coming from before placing calls to guests at 11:20 p.m. The whole point of going to a decent hotel is to get a decent night's sleep - and once woken up one hour into my sleep, I did not go back to sleep for hours.
The last day went by without incident. I never heard noise from any other rooms. I would recommend asking for a room on the third floor - you can't hear any noise anywhere else (although we always use our IPAD for white noise to ensure a good night's sleep).
They have a breakfast buffet that is included in the price. It includes yogurt, bagels, toast, juice, coffee, cereal, limited fruit and interestingly enough - a waffle maker. They have a liquid waffle mix and you pour it into the hot waffle maker. The automatic timer then beeps when your waffle is done and - fresh Belgium waffle. They have maple syrup and artificial butter. My kids really liked it.
The parking is plentiful and free. We took all three of our cars (since we were temporarily relocating due to the termite tenting).
Another interesting fact is that there are many people who live there year round. I am not sure why, but there were many older permanent residents. And yes, there are A LOT of dogs, but none created a real problem. We heard occasional barking, but not at night.
Overall, a good value, in a safe neighborhood. Again, but for waking me up for no reason, I would have given it 4 stars.

Room Tip: Select a room on the third floor overlooking the pool. I think that is the best view, is safest (be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is pretty new and is a no frills location, but you do get a mini-fridge an microwave in each room. The rooms are a little tight with very little room to move around, but they are really just a place to sleep anyway. The one problem that I have is that they allow pets, which for most people is not an issue. I however had a bad allergic reaction to the room and was wheezing immediately and my eye swelled shut. I am not sure they do a really thorough cleaning to get out excess pet dander. If you have tough pet allergies you may want to steer clear.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed twice for a few days each.
The rooms in my building were easily accessed from the parking lot. If you're on the first or second floor, it's only one short flight of steps (up or down) to either floor, I didn't see an elevator. They do allow pets.
There were a few bumps in my stay: the first room smelled bad but they gave me a new room right away. One day the maid left a used chemical cleaning sponge on top off my travel kit! I store my toothbrush, razor, comb, etc. in that travel kit! On other days I left the room by 1PM but housekeeping never cleaned the room.
Also they were installing air conditioners or something. Every morning they would roll a cart on the asphalt up and down the hallway right outside our rooms. The rough surface made the wheels and the cart rattle loudly the whole way. That would start around 9:30 AM and continue for an hour. I tried in vain several times to sleep in.
I told one girl at the front desk about the dirty sponge on my travel kit and she offered nothing and showed little concern. Upon check out, I told a different girl and she showed much more concern and talked to the manager who offered some free points on a new La Quinta Rewards card. I'm sorry I forgot the name of the girl who talked to the manager, she was very helpful. The other girl was not.
Some Pros: the wifi worked fine. The TV was LCD and the channel selection/system was modern. AC worked fine. Refrigerator & small microwave in the room. The public areas looked clean and modern.
Pool looked fine from a distance. There's many restaurants, supermarkets, & gas a short mile or two away.
So it's pretty good but the housekeeping needs minor adjustments.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor are NOT used for pets if you have allergies to animals or something.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Typical middle of the road chain hotel but this hotel was conveniently located and our room was very clean. The continental breakfast was one of the better ones that I've experienced and the weekend AAA rate we paid was very reasonable. Only real bummer of the stay was that the free wi-fi didn't work very well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacifica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our family of 4 travelled 7 hours to LQ from No. Calif. for a family wedding in T.O. The front desk staff was very unfamiliar with the layout of their own property. When asked for a room off the parking lot we were told it was grade level with our room on the 1st floor--great for my wife who has limited mobility. Instead it was DOWN a flight of stairs and we found the room door already propped open. Nice, opening it to air it out? Wrong, carpet had been cleaned hours earlier and was so sopping wet that our socks were soaked after taking our shoes off. "No one had told the front desk", was the excuse. Fortunately, we packed extra socks due to the wedding! Moved directly upstairs to another room that we found was UP a set of stairs! It clogged over 10 times in less than the 2 days we were there. LQ only had ONE toilet plunger in the whole hotel and the night front desk person brought it up and wanted it right back. Later, I had to pick it up many times myself from the front desk and NEGOTIATE so that the plunger would stay outside the room door overnight allowing both of us to have access to it overnight. At one of the AM breakfasts, a fully furry, moldy orange was left in the fruit bowl after being noticed by many food service staff. I, myself, took it out and placed it on the counter where it sat for another hour despite staff passing and looking at it several times! LQ comped one night out of the two but I never received LQ loyalty points for either of the 2 nites we stayed there. GM later called, said plumbing was fine-no clogs found (10 times it clogged), and apoligized for all the bad things and sent a 1 night comp. certificate--still no LQ points. We left tips for the maids--it wasn't their fault. EZ location is handy for the area, as we are already familiar with T.O. and Newbury Park, but would things be better next time or is this normal guest procedures and policies for this location? We were SO looking forward to finding a great hotel in the area when visiting family several times a year! :(((

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park? Share your experiences!