“Clean, but tough on those with pet allergies” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1320 Newbury Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Thousand Oaks
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Clean, but tough on those with pet allergies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is pretty new and is a no frills location, but you do get a mini-fridge an microwave in each room. The rooms are a little tight with very little room to move around, but they are really just a place to sleep anyway. The one problem that I have is that they allow pets, which for most people is not an issue. I however had a bad allergic reaction to the room and was wheezing immediately and my eye swelled shut. I am not sure they do a really thorough cleaning to get out excess pet dander. If you have tough pet allergies you may want to steer clear.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed twice for a few days each.
The rooms in my building were easily accessed from the parking lot. If you're on the first or second floor, it's only one short flight of steps (up or down) to either floor, I didn't see an elevator. They do allow pets.
There were a few bumps in my stay: the first room smelled bad but they gave me a new room right away. One day the maid left a used chemical cleaning sponge on top off my travel kit! I store my toothbrush, razor, comb, etc. in that travel kit! On other days I left the room by 1PM but housekeeping never cleaned the room.
Also they were installing air conditioners or something. Every morning they would roll a cart on the asphalt up and down the hallway right outside our rooms. The rough surface made the wheels and the cart rattle loudly the whole way. That would start around 9:30 AM and continue for an hour. I tried in vain several times to sleep in.
I told one girl at the front desk about the dirty sponge on my travel kit and she offered nothing and showed little concern. Upon check out, I told a different girl and she showed much more concern and talked to the manager who offered some free points on a new La Quinta Rewards card. I'm sorry I forgot the name of the girl who talked to the manager, she was very helpful. The other girl was not.
Some Pros: the wifi worked fine. The TV was LCD and the channel selection/system was modern. AC worked fine. Refrigerator & small microwave in the room. The public areas looked clean and modern.
Pool looked fine from a distance. There's many restaurants, supermarkets, & gas a short mile or two away.
So it's pretty good but the housekeeping needs minor adjustments.

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor are NOT used for pets if you have allergies to animals or something.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Typical middle of the road chain hotel but this hotel was conveniently located and our room was very clean. The continental breakfast was one of the better ones that I've experienced and the weekend AAA rate we paid was very reasonable. Only real bummer of the stay was that the free wi-fi didn't work very well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacifica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our family of 4 travelled 7 hours to LQ from No. Calif. for a family wedding in T.O. The front desk staff was very unfamiliar with the layout of their own property. When asked for a room off the parking lot we were told it was grade level with our room on the 1st floor--great for my wife who has limited mobility. Instead it was DOWN a flight of stairs and we found the room door already propped open. Nice, opening it to air it out? Wrong, carpet had been cleaned hours earlier and was so sopping wet that our socks were soaked after taking our shoes off. "No one had told the front desk", was the excuse. Fortunately, we packed extra socks due to the wedding! Moved directly upstairs to another room that we found was UP a set of stairs! It clogged over 10 times in less than the 2 days we were there. LQ only had ONE toilet plunger in the whole hotel and the night front desk person brought it up and wanted it right back. Later, I had to pick it up many times myself from the front desk and NEGOTIATE so that the plunger would stay outside the room door overnight allowing both of us to have access to it overnight. At one of the AM breakfasts, a fully furry, moldy orange was left in the fruit bowl after being noticed by many food service staff. I, myself, took it out and placed it on the counter where it sat for another hour despite staff passing and looking at it several times! LQ comped one night out of the two but I never received LQ loyalty points for either of the 2 nites we stayed there. GM later called, said plumbing was fine-no clogs found (10 times it clogged), and apoligized for all the bad things and sent a 1 night comp. certificate--still no LQ points. We left tips for the maids--it wasn't their fault. EZ location is handy for the area, as we are already familiar with T.O. and Newbury Park, but would things be better next time or is this normal guest procedures and policies for this location? We were SO looking forward to finding a great hotel in the area when visiting family several times a year! :(((

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We were a bit unsure about this hotel because of the reviews, but after reading I realized a lot of the complaints were ridiculously picky. We stayed 2 nights while visiting LA. Close enough to drive, but peaceful and less hectic in Thousand Oaks. Plenty to do and eat in the area. We arrived at night and the area felt very safe. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and not at all dated. Not a huge room, but bigger than we're used to. Very quiet on the 3rd floor. No noise through the walls. Fast, clean elevator. Great tv channel options, descent breakfast with plenty of seating area. We used the jacuzzi downstairs, and the pool area is clean and inviting. Also used the laundry room, and it was also clean and reasonably priced. We didn't have our dog this time, but I have to include how much I appreciate La Quinta's friendly dog policy. That and their consistent quality across the US has made us loyal La Quinta lodgers. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
San Diego, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am rarely happy with accommodations, especially when under $100/night, but this property is clean, Great staff, and run the way it should be.
Great value---Highly recommend!
My only recommendation is a waffle machine--it would have made the breakfast much better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here, as it was a long one. The staff were amazingly helpful, and the room met my expectations and more. It is a great place to stay, and I highly recommend the facility! Also, there was the added benefit of being close to the freeway, and close to local dining established. You are never too far from what you need when you stay here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks Newbury Park? Share your experiences!