“Wonderful Weekend At La Fonda” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
california
“Wonderful Weekend At La Fonda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed for a BIG 60 Birthday weekend and had a great time. I let them know in advance it was a special occasion and they greeted us with a lovely bottle of wine and complimentary breakfast coupons! The room was cozy and comfortable. We watched as soft falling snow fell on our balcony on Saturday morning making the whole weekend magical. We really loved the location, the Santa Fe art and historical presentation of the hotel. The location makes it easy to walk around the shops and restaurants, and the parking structure is attached and reasonably priced. Everyone from the front desk to the concierge was very helpful with any questions we had (including where can I buy a cake!). I would highly recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I recently stayed at La Fonda for a week. The staff was exceptionally accommodating, it was quiet, peaceful, clean, & In the center if the square. Walking to restaurants & shopping was especially convenient .. It is a reasonably priced very pleasant place to stay in Taos.. It felt like home.

• Stayed March 2014
COSTA MESA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

La Fonda on the Plaza was recently remodeled. I found it to be quite clean and the staff to be very friendly and attentive.

The rooms are quite pleasant and include some original artwork rather than then stamped out reproductions of some of the less expensive hotels. The amenities are nice and each room is a little different. As it is an older hotel, the rooms tend to be a little smaller than some of the newer hotels, but large enough for two to get around in comfortably. Each room has a safe in the closet at no charge and you set your own combination. You also get a flat screen televisions, deep, firm pillow-top Serta Dynasty beds, choice of down or foam pillows, Egyptian cotton sheets, comfortable terry cloth robes and complimentary, high speed WI-FI. There is also voice mail, coffee maker. As with most hotels you also have a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower cap, and a small personal kit with a nail file and a couple other items. The room has no CD or DVD players. The only chance of music is via the clock on the nightstand ... if you bring your own I-pod.

House keeping could stand a bit more training. We got three pieces of chocolate on day two, none one days one or three. Another in our party received four pieces per day. Two days we had two of the pool towels. One day we had only one.

The dining room is pleasant and service is pretty quick and prices are reasonable.

Parking is available at $15.00. You may not need to use your car during most of your stay as you are right on the plaza with plenty of shops, many accessible from inside the La Fonda hotel hall ways. There are also a lot of really good restaurants within easy walking distance.

You can see some good representative pictures of the rooms etc at:

Room Tip: Room 400 was very pleasant with a view of the old church. We transferred out of room 274 as it had...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Ok-- so... my parents used to stay here when they came to SFe back in the 60's. I'd heard them speak of it all these years yet I'd never been to SFe. I moved here about a year ago and decided to drop in when I was here for the closing. At first I was sort of turned off by the 70's decor they had going on throughout the hotel, but I moseyed on over to the lounge and sat at the bar while going over my paperwork. The bartenders are so friendly and the margarita's are really quite good-- theirs are up there on my top five list of places in the US for margarita's (can ya tell I love my margarita's??). The guac is amazing!! THE best ever! Each serving is made right there at your table in one restaurant... and still as fresh in the lounge restaurant, but not done table side (too busy in there). The music is sooo good and the crowd that comes in to dance is even better. I'm not crazy about country music (except for Merle, Willie, Waylon and Jerry Jeff), but I like country music a lot when I am here at La Fonda!!! Maybe it's the margarita's-- I dunno, but it sure is fun to people-watch all the folks out on the dance floor. Sure wish I knew how to dance like that. It looks like sooo much fun! Real New Mexicans out on the town--- fun!!! The bands are usually pretty good, especially the country music bands. We feel like we are part of the family here and come quite often now--- everyone is so nice... and we love the waitresses-- some have been there for years!!... they are sooo sweet and good at what they do. No bad attitudes here!! :) A happy place to go when in Santa Fe!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at La Fonda many times over the past decade and find it just keeps getting better and better: food, service, art, decor, etc. They've added an indoor pool, spa, etc. And some always-wonderful things--like it's central location and convenient parking garage, free internet--make it a wonderful spot for a brief or extended stay. It's a great value and the recent room renovations are terrific in terms of bathrooms, decor, linens, amenities, etc. We recently stayed in a Terrace room--with a giant whirlpool bath, big walk-in shower, bidet, two TVs, our own private balcony overlooking the wonderful historic church--what a treat!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hallettsville, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I wanted to book a same sex wedding at the hotel, with a Concierge Level Suite for 5 days, 10 other rooms for about 20 guests, use of the Terrace for the 30 minute ceremony, and then drinks and dinner for at least 20 at the hotel restaurant, La Plazuela. When I didn't hear back from the hotel within a reasonable time frame, I called my Platinum Card Concierge (to save time) and told them of my requirements. The hotel's response was that the Terrace was not a proper venue for a ceremony of this size, even though they have pictures on their website of ceremonies being held there, and that the restaurant would not be able to accommodate our group as they didn't have a private dining room, and that we would be too rowdy. Umm....first, we are all 50+ and have never been the rowdy sort, as our principled upbringing and attention to etiquette would have not made this possible. Not even in our much younger years! So, let's see how much the hotel lost by their boorish behaviour (prices are approximate from their website and do not include taxes):

Concierge Level Room: $439 x 5 days = $2195.00
10 Guest Rooms: $250/night x 2 nights x 10 guests = $5000.00
Dinner and drinks for 20 at restaurant: $35 per guest x 20 = $700.00
TOTAL = $7895.00

I've been in business for many years, and I would NOT want to be the one to explain why we lost that sort of revenue to the owners or general manager.

So, discriminatory behaviour? I'll leave that for you to decide, fellow travelers/road warriors. If it matters to you, the you'll know what to do. If it doesn't matter, then you'll also know what to do.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Sir:

In review of your Trip Advisor comments we believe the following to be a more accurate depiction of the circumstances:

• The venue requested was already booked and not available
• A reception in the restaurant spread across multiple tables and among other dining patrons would have been less than ideal and inhibited the quality of your event
• Alternative venue options were suggested in an effort to help you arrange your celebration
• La Fonda has hosted many same-sex marriages in the past and we continue to book these into the future.

I am sorry that premier wedding backdrop in Santa Fe was not available for the dates you had chosen. We wish you all the best as you embark in this new, exciting time in your life.
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We have stayed at the La Fonda many times over the past 20 years, and everything about the hotel is fabulous. The history, the art, the service, the rooms, the decor, the food, the shops all contribute to a wonderful experience. The recent room renovation was a huge plus! We really enjoyed the oversized bath and shower! Gabe at the front desk is an incredible host and exemplifies the level of customer service of the hotel. The restaurant menu continues to be diverse and exciting for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 4th floor over looking the Chapel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!