“Right where you want to be!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #6 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
St. Augustine, Florida
“Right where you want to be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A great hotel, right on the Plaza. It's near everything and has lots to offer itself. Great staff, comfy rooms, good vibes. And free bottled water, along with chocolates at bedtime. They are hustling through a remodel, but it didn't affect us. Nicer than usual fitness center lets you work off some of the fine Santa Fe cuisine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

You can't get a better location. It's within three blocks of all the historic sites, the plaza, and more shopping than you need. The parking garage is $30 per day, but a convenience. We got a construction price, so we can't complain, but the hotel had some misses for us. Ambience, excellent. Construction, not a problem. Walls, thin. (We were awakened by neighbors talking.) Alarm clock, impossible to figure out. (Do a wake-up call. The alarm in a neighboring room went off during the night. I called Security, who turned it off within 15 minutes, but our sleep was ruined.) The bed was too tall for me to climb in, but housekeeping brought me a step stool. The AC blew directly onto one side of the bed. The room was brand new, and spotless. The mini fridge was noisy, but useful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Geyserville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

La Fonda is a wonderful, charming, comfortable hotel in an excellent location just off the plaza, with culture, art and history, and a staff offering impeccable service. Hotels near the plaza are rather expensive of course compared to those nearer the freeway. The latter might be ok for business travelers, but if the purpose of your visit is to enjoy all the art and culture Santa Fe is so well known for, staying near the plaza is a must.

Contrary to another reviewer, I found the rooms on the small side ( and I stayed twice during the week in different room types), but they are well appointed, and very comfortable. The large lobby floor features a variety of art and dining. The fiesta lounge has great live country music with dancing every night except Sunday (to my dismay). The renovation work didn't bother me at all, except for slight construction related odors. I will definitely return; highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We've stayed at La Fonda a dozen times in 20 years and still love it. But be warned: renovations are in progress and, while we weren't bothered by the noise, some areas are under construction 24 hours a day to meet the fall deadline. The lobby is as charming as ever, and guestrooms are getting a total makeover: new floors, paint, and furnishings. Much of the renovation can be applauded: polished wood floors, new linens and furniture. Sadly, some charm has been sacrificed for a more sterile look. Halls that boasted frescos are now a stark white with just a few tiny floral motifs, giving it the feel of an austere spa. Colorful (albeit worn) talavera bath tiles have been replaced with plain white, though our shower still had a small tile mural. Many new features are fragile: our new door sweep pulled out, our new pull-chain blinds broke, and the white hallways already show scuff marks from housekeeping carts. The new hallway carpet is ugly, modern design, and stinks. Much of the artwork has been sold off or moved; rooms no longer boast sculptures, retablos, and special art pieces, merely prints. Halls have been stripped of art and posters as well as the old murals and tiled room numbers. But, unique rooms (call - don't reserve online - if you want a fireplace and balcony), new painted furniture, superb conceirge service, excellent restaurant, lively bar, and a rich history keep La Fonda the best hotel in Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Telephone (don't reserve online) in advance to request a room with kiva fireplace and/or balcony...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I made reservations for my trip to Santa Fe. The restaurant was highly reviewed on TA and I wanted to treat myself to a nice dinner out.

The location on the Plaza is very nice. It was a festive atmosphere and full of life. I was seated as they opened and my server was at the table quickly. I started with a Margarita and told her I couldn't decide between the Shrimp Fajitas or the Chili Rellenos. She said it would be tough to choose and suggested instead I order the Shrimp Fajitas with a Relleno as an appetizer. Said it would only be a few dollars extra and would be worth it. She was absolutely right. The food was fantastic as was the atmosphere in the restaurant. It was all well seasoned and perfectly cooked. At one point my server brought a small plate of chips (warm and I'm assuming freshly made) as she felt I might need it to finish up the green chilies on the Relleno. A great suggestion. And the Sopapilla after the meal was perfect, served with warm honey.

The meal was excellent. The service was beyond excellent. The price wasn't cheap, but it was appropriate for a nice restaurant ($41 for one person including 2 Margaritas).

Overall, I couldn't have been happier with the dining experience. I will return in the future, especially if I want to impress someone with not only the atmosphere but a delicious dinner as well. The standout, above the high quality of everything else was the service. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed July 2013
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed there for four nights over the Fourth of July weekend. Wow! The bed, the pillows, The service, 5 star service. The food was excellent, ate there everyday. Who wants to eat elsewhere when the food and the service were 5 star. They even helped me with parking my car even though the garage was full. I will visit this place over and over again. I loved it that much. Beautiful historic hotel in the heart of Santa Fe!

a.m.tillotson@gmail.com

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the Construction site to avoid the chemical smell.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was a Santa Fe virgin before last week. I went for a conference so I did not pick this hotel, it just happened to be where the conference was held and had grouped rooms. This hotel is smack in the middle of the touristy area; directly across from St. Francis Cathedral (you will hear the bells if you open your window), the Plaza, walking distance to the shops around the plaza and Canyon Rd. Parking can be an issue with all the tourists walking about, but there is a garage which you can pull in to even when you need to just check in (wish I had known that before going). They are in the middle of major renovations (front desk said should wrap that up in August) to this hotel, but I was not disturbed since I got up early to go running or to the conference every morning. I would probably not have been thrilled if I were vacationing and awoke to drilling sounds at 8 am.

My room was amazing. The bed was perfect. No bathtub, but that's great if you prefer showers, as I think most do. I had French doors leading to a small balcony on my room with a small table and chair; doors closed, I heard NOTHING from the street only 3 floors below, doors open, I heard it all. Wi-fi signal was always quick and easy. Small fridge in my room, full size ironing board, iron, hair dryer, etc. Quiet at night, except for the occasional loud guest passing by.

Fantastic French pastry, crepes and more on the street level of this hotel (cash only); go there and eat at least once! Our conference had breakfast, lunch and dinner catered from the hotel and it was all superb. The carnitas, guacomole, salsa fresca, coffee, key lime pie, seared salmon, all fantastic. The conference/ball rooms were a good size; hold up to couple hundred people or so. Easy to find a place to sit and discuss business away from tourists in this hotel, even though tourists are coming in and out to access the shops and restaurants all day.

I would absolutely go back here!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!