“Mixed Emotions” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alamo, California
“Mixed Emotions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The remodel/renovation at La Fonda is beautiful. The hotel exudes the same character and charisma of other great "old" hotels such as the Ahwahnee. Many in our travelling party had spectacular, newly renovated rooms. That said, the room we were assigned at check-in was not the grade room we reserved when reservations were made five months ago. It was a spectacular disappointment. Although the room was newly renovated, it looked out over a roof complete with scaffolding and other construction related items... that was our "view". No need for an alarm... the hammering on the walls started promptly at 7:00 AM. The front desk was unresponsive when we asked to relocate. Beyond that, the construction detail of the shower rendered it impossible to shower without absolutely flooding the bathroom floor. I'm sure that will be on the "punch list" for the contractor. Unfortunately, we considered our room simply a "crash pad"... which perhaps was a good thing as it encouraged us to get out and enjoy beautiful Santa Fe. On another note, there was a power outage throughout the the area at apx. 2:00 AM. I stuck my head into the hallway and noted that the backup lighting system was on. As the elevator was obviously out of operation, I decided to follow the exit route "just in case". The route that I followed lead to a dead end where construction had "walled off" the route. I tried a different stairway with the same results. I finally found a route to the lobby. Thankfully there wasn't an emergency or we'd have been trapped like rats. Wouldn't you think that someone would have the foresight to post accurate "Temporary Evacuation" signs during this construction period? The common areas, gift shops, and restaurants were beyond expectations. I would absolutely book La Fonda again... but I would also make it absolutely, abundantly, unmistakably clear upon booking that I will not accept a room such as the one I stayed in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I adored this hotel. The history, the artwork, La Plazuela restaurant, the great shops attached to the building, the margaritas, the location, the rooms! Those perfectly appointed rooms on the renovated fifth floor, with a real wood burning fireplace stocked daily! The tile work is stunning, and that bathtub! Heaven. I appreciated having a fridge in the room. I also loved the "window shopping" displays in the lower hallway.

Because we were there during renovation, sadly the Bell Tower bar was closed, as was the pool. The huge disappointment however was that there wasn't a single location in the hotel where we could sit outside on a balcony and enjoy the great April weather. I located a balcony on the second floor, but they had it locked tight, a disservice to guests IMO.

I also thought the lounge was oddly located with bad feng shui. It was so dimly lit and in that odd interior space, it just wasn't a place we ever wanted to hang out, even with those fab margaritas and live music. Santa Fe begs you to go outdoors, so I hope their Bell Tower bar reopens soon.

If I had to sum it up in two words: romantic nostalgia.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to anything with a balcony, do so!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
La Veta, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the La Fonda for 2 nights in mid May. Starting with free
covered parking ( for guests) attached to the hotel, a real plus considering the parking situation in downtown Santa Fe. Follow that with customer service and satisfaction that may be hard to beat, from the room cleaning staff, to food service, front desk, concierge, and all the shops in the hotel, they all were polite and ready to make your stay a good one. The hotel is under renovation
so obviously there will be some noise, it was on and off all day, not that bad and you should be out seeing the sights anyway. We were given a newly renovated room on the 4th floor, walked in and felt comfortable right away, important for us when we're away from home, everything was
fresh and clean, great bathroom, comfortable beds. One hitch was that the TV was not upgraded
yet to rent and play movies so if you need movies bring an internet device. All in all could not have been more satisfied.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

After having traveled the world, I come to my hometown to experience terrible guest service and not having received the amenities promised in The La Fonda Hotel advertisement. The property is under renovation, the pool is "scheduled" to re-open along with the hot tub in July, the hot tub is open in the La Terraza portion of the hotel, but without receiving a property map of the property at check in, good luck finding it! The bellman dropped my belongings from the parking area, breaking my things, my guests were told I was not checked in to the property. Heaven forbid an emergency would have occurred, the caller would have been told the same thing as were the incoming calls congratulating me on my son's graduation from college. The open gathering room which is an amenity on their suite floor, was locked so we were unable to receive my son's 86 year old grandmother, my son's great aunt's who are older than her, and my parents. The breakfast came incomplete without coffee or toast and lastly, the whole experience was a catastrophe from start to finish. This could have been remedied if the Manager on Duty with his upside down name tag would have been at least cordial in the matter, but he was condescending at best. I have never had an experience like this in my life. A room is supposed to be about the guest experience, even the smallest experience should be a memorable, pleasant experience, not one you go home and cry about and regret.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your recent experience at La Fonda on the Plaza. Our guests are like gold; our goal is to treat you as such. We rely on our guests to let us know when ourservice or amenities fall short of expectations so that we can address issues promptly. La Fonda is in the midst of an extensive renovation of our historic property. When complete in August 2013, the hotel will offer all of the yesterday’s charms with today’s modern guest amenities. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again so that you may experience the true La Fonda on the Plaza.
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed three nights. We were upgraded to a suite. It was on the 5th floor of their new wing. Simply gorgeous. The restaurants were excellent. The renovation didn't bother us at all. A more than pleasant place to call home for a few nights.

• Stayed May 2013
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I visited during La Fonda's renovation. Our check in went smoothly, and we went to our room. Unfortunately, the black-out curtains hadn't been installed. Not a huge deal, but we do find it difficult to sleep in a room that isn't very dark. We mentioned this to Dennis at the desk, and he immediately rectified the problem by moving us to a room that was perfect! The renovated rooms are very comfortable, stylish, and in keeping with the hotel's tradition of featuring local art in each room. While the renovation isn't yet complete, judging from the room, it will be a great success. As long as La Fonda has employees as thoughtful and responsive as Dennis, a stay here will be memorably enjoyable and pleasant!

Room Tip: Higher is better, and a balcony is a real treat!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Historic, excellent property. Stay here and walk to everything! You will see why it has such a rich history and so many famous people stayed here over the years. What was impressive was how many local people also gathered here. Be sure to eat at their main restaurant with the painted windows - their guacamole was made table-side and it's the best we've ever had! Several interesting shops too. We loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!