“Over rated..lousy rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Over rated..lousy rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was so excitdd to plan my stay here but it's not been great. I am still here but checking out shortly. Changed rooms twice that are very small and in dire need Iof renovation. Peeling paint in bathtub..dirt in all corners of the bath and bedroom. There is still drilling going on above me and its 6P. I realize the property is going through renovations but no one should allow rooms like these given out. Believe me this is not a HISTORIC hotel. Nice staff....lousy rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the disruption experienced during your stay with us. We have set strict regulations regarding the hours in which our contractors can operate loud machinery. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your feedback helps us better understand how and where we can improve our service during this time. We understand the need for updates. All of our guest rooms will be renovated to provide the highest standards of comfort. The renovation is scheduled for completion in late fall – I’m just sorry that we were not able to place you in a satisfactory room at this time. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from another business trip to Santa Fe (my job is such a tough gig!) and another stay at the fabulous La Fonda. My favorite hotel has now become my most frequented - lucky me! Santa Fe and La Fonda share the same assets: Rich history , art treasures, fabulous cuisine and authentic, casually sophisticated surroundings. I recommend La Fonda highly - for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: The property is undergoing extensive renovations - but I didnt hear any noise or have any disruption...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just got back from another quick Santa Fe business trip. I always stay at La Fonda when I'm in town on business, and I have always received friendly, attentive service. This was my first time to stay in a Terrace room -- it was beautiful with a plush bed, original artwork, huge bathroom with separate standing shower and large tub, fireplace and balcony. The location, too, couldn't be better. It's the only hotel actually ON the plaza, with lots of shops and great dining choices within close walking distance.

The hotel is undergoing a renovation of the guest rooms and suites (one half at a time), but the Terrace rooms are unaffected. I wanted to get in some running time, so the staff showed me where the fitness center has been moved (the Coronado Room) during the renovation. It was no problem at all -- they still have plenty of equipment to accommodate athletic travelers. I was impressed to see they had yoga mats, too! I look forward to seeing the new and updated La Fonda on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It’s always nice when a seasoned business traveler offers positive remarks about our property and our team! Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience at La Fonda on the Plaza. I’m glad that you had the opportunity to experience one of our luxurious Terrace suites. And, I was pleased to learnthat our renovation efforts did not affect your stay. Thanks, too, for noting your positive experience in our temporary fitness facility. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I couldn't have enjoyed our stay more...even with all of the renovations going on at the time. The room was clean, comfortable, and very pretty. Everyone we dealt with went out of the way to help, from the parking attendant to the concierges to the manager at the desk. We stayed on the Terraza, which includes 14 rooms with their own concierge, hot tub, exercise room, and rooftop overlooking the Basilica. It costs a little more, but soooo worth it! Thanks to Wes, our concierge for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013
reno, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

i always enjoy staying at La Fonda. I am always comfortable, the people are always attentive and i love the location, right on the Plaza. These days i particularly like saying in La Terraza, although i'm looking forward to when La Fonda's regular guest rooms are renovated. I also enjoy la Fonda's workd class art collection. Just another perk of my stay.

Room Tip: La Terraza is wonderful, but all rooms will be renovated by august and will be fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us during the renovation of our guest rooms. I’m glad that you were able to take advantage of our central location on the Santa Fe Plaza, and that you had the opportunity to explore our extensive collection of original art. We look forward to hosting you in one of our remodeled guest rooms in the near future.
East Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The location of La Fonda is ideal for visiting old Santa Fe. The building is authentic Santa Fe style, and the interior is full of antiques and art from the hotel's history. Our room was not yet renovated, but still comfortable and lovely. We thought our stay was perfect. The hotel staff is uniformly friendly and helpful.
We had 4 meals at the hotel restaurants and all were exceptional. I look forward to returning after the renovation is complete.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport Center, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at La Fonda because I was attending a workshop and wanted to be right in the center of town so that I could just walk out into the square in my free time.
Special thanks to Nancy H, the concierge who has a great "can do" attitude, seems to love her job and really gives excellent customer service.
Hotel staff were very helpful also. Gift shop staff were a little stand offish... not rude, just not so welcoming.
Food and restaurant service were extremely good.
The view from my room was marginal but when I asked if I could change, I was shown one that looked right into a wall so I kept the first one.
If the hotel continues to offer "special" affordable rates, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square, not looking at other buildings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!