“La Fonda Hotel in Sante Fe is an excellent place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #4 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“La Fonda Hotel in Sante Fe is an excellent place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I are artists and wanted a short weekend holiday. We are staying at the La Fonda Hotel in Sante Fe, NM and our stay has been excellent. The room is quaint and clean, very comfortable. The staff has been friendly and helpful--love the sitting area with the fireplace.
Can't beat the location--just a short walk to near by resturants, shops and galleries. We highly recommend this hotel for your next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed one night at La Fonda in Santa Fe, wished it had been longer. The room was very comfortable - although the small step up to the ample bathroom was a slightly unpleasant surprise at 2am. The dining room was a knockout, and the food superb! The staff was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mt Vernon, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was so hoping to love this place after reading so many positive reviews and going to Santa Fe on business, looking forward to local flavor in an old hotel, but I was really disappointed. I realize they are going through a renovation, but did not see many negative reviews related to this and was happy to get the "renovation rate" almost half off. I cannot imagine paying full price for this place. Well, this hotel desperately needs an update and I hope things improve after the renovation, but would NOT stay there in the meantime. I am not a hotel snob, having stayed at many a Motel 6 in my time. However when traveling for work I need two things in a hotel: a good night's sleep and a place to get work done. This hotel offered neither. While I agree the place is charming, loaded with old New Mexico flavor, loved all the tile and southwest atmosphere as well as the central plaza location, the room was awful. Really awful. It was very dated, dirty and dingy with a ripped, stained carpet that I did not want to walk barefoot on. The linens smelled like too many chemicals tried to clean them with scratchy thin towels. Cheap, plastic trash cans, dirty draperies, everything worn and tired. I've had cleaner more comfortable rooms in a Motel 6 at half the price, admittedly without the cool Mexican tile. I had the misfortune of having the room at the end of the ground floor, right next to the construction, which was incredibly noisy during the day, as well as housekeeping who cleaned and talked loudly right outside my room well past 10PM. The walls were thin, hearing other rooms' plumbing, the elevator and many conversations. And as far as needing to do work in the room, aside from the unbearable construction noise, the desk chair was very uncomfortable and the only outlet available required that I crawl under a desk to plug in my laptop. I charged my phone in the bathroom. As none of this was acceptable, I asked for a new room and was offered one over $100 more per night or a much smaller, noisier second floor option (if you are above the front desk/lounge it's noisy til past 11PM). So instead I moved to the much quieter and more comfortable Eldorado for just $30 more, after just one intolerable night. I hope the renovation provides much needed improvement. The staff was helpful, but not without attitude. I was not one minute off the phone with Travelocity trying to cancel my reservation when housekeeping was at the door to clean the room. I will say it was one of the more charming exercise rooms I have ever been in and the hotel restaurant was quite good, and, again, filled with southwest charm. I hope the hotel can add that, and comfort, back to their rooms.

Room Tip: Not room 101, anything on the plaza side should be quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
All of us at La Fonda are very excited about our guest room renovation. Construction projects of this size and nature are always challenging. We strive to offer professional service in a relaxing environment at all times. I’m sorry to learn that our current renovation efforts resulted in a disrupting stay. I apologize. Your feedback helps us ensure that our renovated guest rooms surpass expectations of comfort and efficiency. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to host you in the future
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel was fabulous- the ambience of being in the heart of Santa Fe, the architecture of the interior, the art work, very friendly staff, very comfortable bed and room, and the restaurant downstairs has such delicious food. I want to go back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Socorro, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at La Fonda on the Plaze last weekend for four days and had a wonderful experience. This is a great hotel! The location is outstanding - walk out the front door and you are right on the plaza, convienent to shops, restaurants, Canyon Road, museums, St Franscis cathedral, ect. The decor throughout the hotel, including the rooms is all Santa Fe style and provides a true Santa Fe experience. In the restaurant the food was great and the portions good size (especially breakfast). We ate in the restaurant numerous times and each time the staff was friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around. This was true for all the hotel staff - very friendly and helpful. The bar had great ambiance and a live band - we all enjoyed ending our nights with a toast and a couple of dances. Our rooms were great - nice size, great decor, with an outside balcony. We all commented on how comfortable the beds were. My family was from out of town and kept commenting thorughout the weekend what a great job I did in finding this hotel. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. It was fanstatic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. Beautiful art everywhere you look in this historic hotel. We had a gorgeous room courtesy of an upgrade and the advice of the wonderful concierge. Absolutely every staff member embodies the meaning of Customer Service. We will go back again and again!

Room Tip: The Terrace rooms are gorgeous!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cortez, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went for a quick weekend.
It surprised us that the staff upgraded rooms at no cost to us and it was a fantastic up grade.
Food in the restaurants was wonderful. Room service was excellent and the food was FANTASTIC!
Over all a great place to stay quiet rooms with very nice beds.
We did pick the coldest weekend of the year; that meant more time inside and we could not have had a better place to stay.
Lovely atmosphere.
Will stay there again!

Room Tip: two couples ask for 500 and 501 two king rooms with 2 private baths
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!