“Excellent service at a quaint location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Excellent service at a quaint location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights at La Fonda (23rd & 24th of December), and we couldn't be more pleased. The location was ideal, and the hotel itself was quaint, warm, cozy & vintage- yet not falling apart, we had everything we needed in our room. The staff were very friendly, especially Brenda & Jeremy at the front desk & the concierge, Nancy, was incredibly helpful and provided assistance with last minute dinner reservations and tips on how early to arrive for the Christmas Eve midnight mass service.
The restaurant food was authentic & delicious, and we also ordered room service Christmas morning which arrived earlier than promised despite how busy the restaurant was preparing for the Christmas brunch.
We were very pleased with the stay, and will definitely try and stay here again next time we come to Santa Fe. Although we don't have children yet, the hotel appears to be very family friendly and wouldn't hesitate to come back with children.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have stay at the La Fonda every time we visit Santa Fe which is usually several times a year. We like to stay on the La Terraza floor. On our last stay we were thoroughly disappointed by the lack of respect shown to us by most of the management. After failing to honor the original room price they quoted us, the preceded to talk down to us like children. Even the general manager could not give us an explanation as to why our rooms were more expensive than our friend's room who stayed the exact same time and booked a year in advance as we did. We are saddened that the hotel suffers from extremely poor management. Needless to say we are going to try a new hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed December 2012
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
La Fonda on the Plaza’s greatest asset is the loyalty of our guests. I’d like to sincerely thank you for your return business year after year. Rates do change throughout the year, so there very well could have been a difference between your friend’s room rate and yours. I apologize for the confusion and hope that we have the opportunity to host you and your family in the future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is an older property, but it has much charm. Handpainted furniture, cozy rooms, great beds and pillows linen. Bathrooms are small, but okay. Service is wonderful. We did not have internet access for almost an entire day, for some reason, and we were given a comp dinner - from appetizers and drinks to an excellent entree', dessert and coffee. The main restaurant is great. The cafe offers a lunch buffet with delicious Mexican food. There is also a wonderful pastry shop/coffee house. You can walk everywhere from La Fonda. It's so central! We are definitely going back. Staff impressed us! Power went out for a couple of hours and the staff made sure everyone was okay, were apologetic (apparently when it rains, that part of Santa Fe has some issues with power from time to time). All in all, a great stay. We were told by friends that La Fonda could be 'noisy', but we did not experience that at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went to Santa Fe for Georgia O;Keeffe's 125th birthday. La Fonda had a special for 5 days which they had emailed me as I was on their email list. They keep track of potential guests. Good idea.
They are on the main plaza and extremely convenient. From check-in to check-out , they were great. Professional. Room was excellent, clean, great bathroom and decorated in good southwest design. That 'package' special included a full breakfast in the main dining room. I ate most dinners there also and the food was excellent. Wait staff great and friendly. The decor is georgeous and tasteful Southwest. There were lots of families.I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Moultonborough, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This wonderful and historic hotel is right (RIGHT) in the center of downtown Santa Fe. You will love the location and the walk-to everything was fabulous. We enjoyed our room which wasn't huge but had plenty of space, and had a wonderful historic feel. The bathroom was great, and even though they are going through rennovations, it was fabulous. We had a spectacular dinner right in the hotel and loved it. We also had breakfast in the restaraunt, and it exceeded expectations as well. Just lovely. DOn't miss it.

Room Tip: We had room 408-- 4th floor overlooking the front of the hotel. Good location in the hotel and a lo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Had a business trip into Santa Fe and decided to stay at the LaFonda again....great stay like last time. Rooms were clean and comfortable....small bathroom, but it's is part of the history of the place. Front desk is very helpful, didn't eat in the restaurant, but looked like it had a full house. Grabbed a burger and a beer while watching the country western band and dancers. Very good food and good staff. Will continue to make this one of my stops when in town.

Room Tip: Ask about the room that looks out over the Plaza.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Before I moved to Santa Fe (4 years ago), I stayed at the La Fonda twice. One weekend the room was cozy and inviting, but the next trip the room was small and cozy, but the window was nailed shut. I didn't complain because I was so in love with the hotel and its Santa Fe style. After moving to Santa Fe, my family has been going to the hotel for Thanksgiving buffet. For two years in a row we were seated in the La Plazuela dining room. We enjoyed a lovely, casual and relaxing meal in a beautiful dining room. We expected the same experience this year, but it didn't happen. We were ushered into another dining room, which gave the feeling of a cheap wedding reception dining hall. There was no festive feeling at all. No attempt to decorate. We were seated next to the door to the kitchen. I could feel the waiters brushing by me as they hurriedly rushed around. My chair was wobbly. I moved closer to the other two at the table. So, the three of us were in a row. I ordered a Mexican coffee. The coffee was terrible, weak and I swear there was no alcohol in the drink, but I didn't complain. I ordered a beer. The food was OK. I don't know if there was two types of gravy, but the one I tried did not complement my food. The waiters, etc. were rushing around so much, it was not a relaxing environment. Someone came around asking if we everything was OK. I said it wasn't as good as last year. He said "well the food is the same."

I am a permanent vendor at the Tesuque Flea Market. I work so hard to make my booth a special experience for the locals and tourists. If I don't, they won't come back. Well, I won't be going back to the La Fonda for a holiday meal. Oh, our bill was $266.00. That is almost my rent for one month at the flea market. Once a year I wouldn't complain about the bill if our experience had been a memorable one. I felt the hotel was just trying to get us in an out.

I wouldn't still be thinking about this if I hadn't gone into the hotel after Thanksgiving. I have been in this hotel many times in the past four years after Thanksgiving. I have never seen it decorated so festively. The holiday touches can be seen everywhere. It is beautiful. So, I just don't see why absolutely no attempt to make a few festive touches in the side dining room at Thanksgiving was made. There was no attempt. I could have been at the Furr's buffet in August.

I am sure no one will see this, but if you do beware. I still love the charm of the hotel, but I will be trying a different hotel next year for my holiday meal.

If you want an unique, inexpensive gifts, please check out the Tesuque Flea Market.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!