“Perfect Santa Fe hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #7 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
San Francisco, California
“Perfect Santa Fe hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We just spent four nights at La Fonda and had a wonderful experience overall. The hotel is in an excellent location and is full of southwestern ambiance and charm.

We went with my mother and had two Deluxe King rooms for a very good price. But, you must be aware that some rooms have been updated/remodeled and some have not. Our room was newly remodeled while my mom's next door was not, but we paid the same price. So, when making your reservation and when checking in, make sure you specifically ask for a "remodeled" room.

The concierge staff was excellent! The parking garage was convenient. The main restaurant was good and reasonably priced (but there are many excellent restaurants around the plaza area).

My only complaint was that the King size bed, which was very comfortable, was extremely high and difficult to climb into. This could be a challenge for some people.

I would recommend this hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a "remodeled/updated" room.

1,042 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This is a very historic (think Santa Fe trail) old hotel located right on the plaza in Santa fe... you can walk to everything. Altho' old, it has been updated & the rooms are large & comfortable. It has a good restraurant & a roof top bar for watching the sunset. We got a king at $129 + 12$ for parking so the price was good for the quality..

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My daughter and I recently stayed a night at the La Fonda and enjoyed quite a lovely experience.
Our room was spacious and very comfortable. More importantly, the service we received was superb. I must commend the hotel for hiring such caring and helpful staff. Everyone was very kind and willing to go the extra mile - especially our bellman, David R., who not only took great care in helping us with our luggage and parking, but also made sure we were able to dine at our favorite restaurant in Santa Fe even though it was solidly booked for the night. Thank you, David!
Another who deserves special recognition is the sweet lady who checked us out, Brenda. Her beaming smile lit up the entire lobby! Thank you, all of La Fonda, for ensuring our time with you was so enjoyable and meaningful. Terry

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a great 1920's era hotel. The staff were especially helpful, friendly and well qualified. The common areas were in excellent condition and the room was nice and well furnished, respecting the original construction of he hotel. I would definately stay there again and recommend it to others.

The minor negatives: The carpets in the room corridors could have been better; the hotel has a lot of interesting history, but this was not presented.

Franschhoek South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I am currently staying at La Fonda. The room is one of the worst I have ever experienced. I used to stay here on business in the 90's and had fond memories. I am sorry to say that La Fonda has aged badly. Our room is TINY, very tired and nasty. The bathroom floor has not been cleaned in weeks. Seriously dirty. Photos to be posted.

A small flat screen tv is mounted on the wall. Reception is poor and grainy. If you want to watch a movie, even an old one, it will cost you between $12 and $17 each, plus tax. Remote control menu system is very difficult to navigate.

Our room has two double beds. One is shoved up against a dirty window and the other against an old-style wall aircon unit with balky dials. Air blows directly onto the person in this bed.

After four nights, the sheets have not been changed and the beds are minimally made each day. The room is just not clean..... Carpet, tiles, windows, sheets. Yuck.

I was looking forward to visiting what used to be one of my favorite NM hotels. This will be my last visit.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a room in the new section of this hotel. Very expensive for this area, however. B...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
While I was disappointed to read your recent post,I was thankful to learn that you were still a guest at La Fonda on the Plaza,andthat our Guest Services Director was able to offer you alternative accommodations within the hotel. I hope that your stay has greatly improved,and that you’ve rediscovered why La Fonda was/is your favorite hotel.

Thank you for noting your experience—regardless of the feedback,I always appreciate when guests care enough to inform us about where the property has room for improvement. Cleanliness is a priority of ours, so I was both surprised and shocked to read about the state of your bathroom floor. I have shared your review with our housekeeping department,and promise that this issue has been addressed. And,I’m sorry about your linen service. As we live in the high desert we are very conscious of the need to save water. Linens are turned after the fourth night,unless otherwise requested—in this case,we must have over-looked your request. Again,I’m sorry.

We truly appreciate your return business to La Fonda on the Plaza,and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Las Cruces, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

It's a once in a lifetime celebration and we made the mistake of booking at LaFonda based on the hype of its website and the convenient location right on the square. What especially caught my attention was the Mexican folk art headboard in the photos that appeared to make this hotel stand out from the other nice ones. Well, we arrived after a long drive from our home in southern NM tired and hungry about 7 PM only to be assigned what must have been the last room in the place (despite reservations made a month ahead of time). My first impression was that a Smurf had thrown up in the place. The lovely headboard in the photo turned out to be a Smurf-blue tacky design, as was the desk & chair, the dresser, the nightstands, coffeetable, side table, a small steamer-type trunk and the lamps---all in a tiny room that included a little alcove with an dingy appearing orange sofa blocking the only window (I thought we had reserved a room with a balcony). In order to get to that window, we had to STAND ON THE SOFA!! The bed looked comfy and there were lots of pillows but it was about 2 ft. away from a blasting air conditioning unit. Forget the authentic, historical ambience because some of us expect a bit more when we're paying $269 the first night and $359 the next night (weekend rates & tax - parking was separate at $12 a day). So we went to the front desk to say the room was unacceptable, only to be told they were full and we couldn't be moved. Back to the (shutter!!) room where I took out my laptop to try to find other accomodations. More surprises! So much for the free WiFi, but that wasn't half as bad as the fact that my husband couldn't get a cell phone signal to call other hotels! Talk about feeling trapped! So we had to use the land line and did find another place. With unpacked suitcase we went to the front desk to ask for a refund since we had prepaid. That's when we were told that because we had booked through an online source, we had to contact that source to get a refund. Subsequent phone conversations today with the reservations manager, it appears, will result in our being refunded only for the 2nd and 3rd nights (when the charge drops to $139), but not the initial night because of the HOTEL policy--and only if we pursue that refund on our own. The room assigned to us was tacky, and in need of a good cleaning starting with the carpet and drapes along with reupholstering the chair and the sofa (I wonder how many others stood on it to close the drapes). I'd recommend also removing the less-than-quality furniture that does nothing more than crowd the room. Many of the positive comments on this site tell me visitors stayed in remodeled sections or the Terrace. Clearly not all of LaFonda's rooms are of that quality and I would recommend that potential visitors to Santa Fe think long and hard about staying there. They should definitely not get swayed by the fancy website. The only positive feature is the location, right on the square--and, possibly, the restaurants that we didn't have an opportunity to try out.

Room Tip: Read the tips. We didn't and should have!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at La Fonda on the Plaza. I am sorry that your stay was so short lived, and I was disappointed to learn about your frustration surrounding your time with us. Typically, we go out of our way to accommodate our guests when they are unhappy with their accommodations. As you are aware, the hotel was running at full capacity, so unfortunately, we were not able to provide an alternative room. Again, I apologize. I only wish we could have found means to enhance your stay while you were with us.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Accompanied a friend who was attending a meeting at the hotel. In the heart of the old town, near cathedral and plaza. Rooms were comfy and quirky, bathroom was large. Coffee and mini-frig nice. Covered parking lot is small but affordable ($12/day).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!