“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Colorado, USA
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have stayed at a number of hotels and B&Bs in Santa Fe and been very happy. We stayed this time at La Fonda and will return. Apart from an excellent location - step out the front door and you are on the Plaza - we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We booked a standard room and it was on the ground floor with a "view" of the pool and towards the end of the corridor. The only negative is that it was almost at the end of the corridor where staff use staff elevators to deliver food, carts for cleaning etc so at times it coluld get a little noiser than other areas.. The plus is that it was very private and close to the entrance to the spa, fitness room, and pool area. Didn't get a chance to try the pool or spa (both are heated and open all year) but it looked great. Room was quite spacious incl a fridge and a nice touch - bottled chilled water (free) every day. Bed (king) was very comfortable. Nice large flat screen TV; while bathroom is older and smallish (remember we booked a traditional room) water pressure was excellent and bathroom supplies very nice. Room also had 2 work areas though wireless signal was hard to get (prob our location) but hotel has business center for guests w high speed internet and free printing. We ate and were entertained in the Fiesta Lounge and had breakfast in La Plazeula (sp?) - both were excellent. We will return again. Hints for rooms - though we loved our room if you want more sunshine/views, upgrade to a higher floor or ask for a suite which will have a sitting area alcove. Great value for money. Nice staff. Great location and a feeling a community.

Room Tip: Suites if you want more room and a separate sitting area. Traditional rooms near pool are great just...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

1,016 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

Front desk employee Brenda was incredibly efficient and friendly. She made our stay at the La Fonda perfect in every way. The hotel was beautiful in every way. It personified the true ambiance of the old southwest. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2011
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thanks for taking a moment to review your stay at La Fonda and acknowledging Brenda’s hospitality. I was so pleased to learn that her assistance helped make your stay a memorable one. We appreciate your taking the time to write, and we look forward to your return.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011 via mobile

stayd there one night sunday to monday the set up is nice but the employes are kind of worn out and close to unfriendly for that kind of money . a no go. so next i go somewhere else

• Stayed November 2011
I am so sorry your recent stay at La Fonda was so short lived, and I was disappointed to hear that your interactions with our employees did not generate the typical, enthusiastic response. We are so used to a flood of complimentary reviews regarding our staff that this one came as a surprise. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so we can extend the signature customer service we are historically known for.
El Paso, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We recently spent a weekend at the La Fonda. We arrived to find that there was a power outage in downtown Santa Fe. The hotel staff, armed with flashlights, saw to it that no one was left in the dark while waiting to check in. The concierge recommended a restaurant that was not affected by the power loss and we had a good lunch and returned to find that the power was restored. From that moment on we really enjoyed our stay. Every employee was friendly and courteous, especially Brenda at the front desk. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed two delicious meals in the restaurant. The hotel is ideally located: close to the plaza, shops and cathedral. So appreciate the parking garage as parking in downtown Santa Fe is always a problem. Oh yes, I mustn't forget the fireplaces. Perfect place to relax after making the rounds of the shops.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
LaFondaManager, General Manager at La Fonda on the Plaza, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
I am always amazed by the ability of our staff to shed a positive light on what was literally a “dark” situation! I am happy to hear that the power outage did not create a negative impact on your time with us, and that it actually marked your stay with a positive impression of our hotel and our team. I’m also glad that our historic fireplaces provided added charm and comfort under the circumstances. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your return.
Sherbrooke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very friendly and welcoming employees, starting with Brenda who was there at check in and check out, to the waitresses and room service personnel.

I particularly appreciated the fire places next to the restaurants.

The room was very comfortable, and it was very nice to have a few chocolates left on the bed every night by the people who would come service the room again.

The finish of the bathtub was starting to peel and the soundproofing of the walls was lacking (probably because of the age of the building), but it did not tarnish a pleasant stay.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Our grand fireplaces truly are a great place to relax and warm up –especially this time of year as we welcome the short days and long nights of winter. I am so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them! I am also pleased to hear that your exchange with Brenda at the front desk was pleasant, and that your stay was “sweetened” by our complimentary pillow-top chocolates. Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at La Fonda. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I grew up in northern New Mexico, and staying at La Fonda was an appealing idea since that time. We visited Santa Fe on the Saturday before Halloween and, on a lark, I thought I'd pop into the La Fonda, just to see how much it was.

A lovely, friendly, helpful young lady at the front desk (Rachel, I think) presented a rate that actually fell into my budget. Before you knew it, we were checked into room #539.

Loved this room! The hand-painted decor was so charming, and the retro touches about the room were great. We had a pool view, although the weather was a bit chilly to see anything going on out there.

Parking was a bit difficult with small spaces in a tight garage, but that didn't diminish my enthusiasm.

It was wonderful to be back home, in this iconic hotel. The worst part? I had to leave and go back home!

Room Tip: Rooms are small but cozy. Better views happen on higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have stayed at The La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe several times & highly recommend it to anyone traveling in NM. The service is excellent & the hotel itself is amazingly comfortable without being too posh to be cozy. Of course being on the Plaza is great. Speaking of service, every time I have driven in to park I have been met with a smile & a quick offer to help me with my bags. I have recently had several experiences with a really great guy named David Robinson who stands out as a star & a gentleman. I pull in, he recognizes me & flashes me a good old boy smile & gives me a handshake & asks if there is anything he can do. I was not going to stay last on this trip but was just parking to do some business before moving on to Los Alamos to stay for the week. I was exhausted & grouchy from my trip but when David saw me & came over & grabbed my parking ticket for me & said "hey" my day was brightened immediately. I was far from home but not far from a friend. At that moment I decided to just stay at the La Fonda & just call it a day. He grabbed my bags & we talked music (my hobby) on the way up & 2 days later & I am still here. When was the last time a guy greeting you made you stay at the more expensive hotel? I wish every hotel had a David Robinson.

Safe Travels,
John

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
I had a great time reading your review. It does a great job of summing up “hospitality”, and it’s great to know that just one of our universally friendly staff can have such a positive impact. Believe me— David’s name is often on our “star” radar, but none of the accolades heaped on him have generated such a great story. We are very lucky to have him on board and I’m happy he was able to create your stay, much less make it so enjoyable! We are lucky to have him on board. I hope your travels bring you back to Santa Fe in the future—and La Fonda, in particular. David will be waiting!

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!