“Incredible Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Koloa
“Incredible Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Spent a great deal of time researching a hotel with charm and character, in a very relaxed and romantic setting, in the historical area of Santa Fe .... and chose La Fonda ..... we were not disappointed. We stayed in one of the 14 rooms on the concierge floor ..... with a huge king bed, private patio, and semi-private spa. The room was spacious, well-appointed, and the king bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever enjoyed. Rebecca, our concierge, was bright and friendly, and assisted us with all of our needs. The entire staff ..... housekeeping, restaurant, front desk ..... was extremely courteous, friendly, warm, and outgoing. Every aspect of the hotel is rich with history, beauty, and comfort. It was the perfect setting for a romantic visit to Santa Fe. The hotel is located right in the middle of the historical area of town, and everything from the 100+ galleries on Canyon Road, to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum were within easy walking distance. We would return to La Fonda in a heartbeat .... it was one of the highlights of our stay in Santa Fe. Congratulations, La Fonda, for making our visit so very memorable.

1,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at La Fonda on the Plaza from Saturday, April 16th through Sunday, April 24th, 2011. I was in Santa Fe for business purposes and I found the La Fonda to be perhaps my most enjoyable stay in a hotel ever. The property itself is beautiful, charming and historic but it is the hotel staff that made my stay so memorable.

I would like to start off by thanking Brenda and Dennis at the front desk for their warmth, sense of humor and efficiency in responding to any needs that I expressed. I would like to especially compliment Brenda for accommodating some special requests that I made to her.

The bellman staff members were prompt, friendly and helpful. Thanks to David Robinson and Omar for moving my luggage and boxes around during the week.

Nancy at the concierge desk was also very helpful with directions.

The fifth floor rooms facing the Loretto Chapel have outside patios with terrific views. The Basilica of St. Francis located diagonally across the street is gorgeous.

I highly recommend the La Fonda on the Plaza for visitors to Santa Fe, NM.

Tom from Florida

Room Tip: Room 505 next to the Bell Tower - awesome views
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband and I just spent the most wonderful few days in Santa Fe at La Fonda. The hotel is in an ideal location to enjoy all of the sights, shops, galleries and flavor of Santa Fe.

The hotel itself is warm and friendly in a true historic Santa Fe setting. The staff is helpful and friendly. In particular Eddie in reservations and Dennis at the front desk. Dennis always greeted us with a smile and a fun suggestion for something to do or a place to dine. We would look forward to seeing him and report our days activities back to him!

The rooms are well appointed and comfy and cozy. The shops were some of the best on the plaza and La Plazuela is a beautiful and delicious restaurant.

We will return as often as possible. Thank you La Fonda!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Decent value for a Plaza location hotel. Room & bath was a bit small, but comfortable, nicely decorated, and very clean. Did have some allergy problems though (this is a very old hotel). Parking was extra ($12/day), but worth it - could walk to shopping, galleries, and restaurants.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

La Fonda is an old hotel built in the Santa Fe style and remodeled beautifully to keep up with current trends. My room was small, the bed was incredibly wonderful, and I had all the conveniences you would expect from a modern hotel. Because of multiple remodels, the hotel is on many levels. There are stairs, elevators, and lifts if you need one. The meeting rooms were spacious. I especially enjoyed being in La Teraza, which is on the top floor with views in all directions and a terrace so you can enjoy the views in the fresh air when the weather is nice. The staff was wonderful.

I did get a little tired of Mexican food, but that's Santa Fe. Mornings I ate at The French Bakery which was a delight.

The only problem I encountered was getting lost in the myriad of hallways. Finding my meeting room was sometimes difficult. However, the staff - any staff member - was always glad to drop what they were doing and show me the way.

Since La Fonda is right in the middle of the museums and the cathedrals and all the other goodies offered by downtown Santa Fe, I consider it a good choice.

Room Tip: Dicker. See what options are available.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights. First 3 for a work conference and additional 2 with my wife to see the sights of Santa Fe having never been there before.

Hotel:
Classic old charm so you really get a sense of Santa Fe and its history. Beautiful lobby, tile floors, several nice shops, and a great bar and dining area in the atrium. I had a rental car and the on site parking was just $12/day with unlimited in/out access. Due to a mix up in my reservation I didn't have a room upon check in. Not the hotel's fault but I was given a free drink at the bar while they secured a room. Took about 2 hours and it was the middle of the day so I had lunch and it was no problem. Becky at the front desk was great! Another thing that really impressed me was their bellman. My suit was really hammered after the long flight and getting to my room late, Harold, the Bellman, was nice enough to iron it himself and got it back to me within an hour! who does that anymore??

Room was a king, on the smaller size but nice view and next door was an old church. The chimes were every quarter hour and coming from Chicago and the El I really liked that--hotel without it would have been too quiet for me but you might want to ask as you check in which side of the building you are on! Bathroom fixtures and furniture are definitely older and my sink had a crack in it but everything was clean and functioning. Oddly, on my second day I came back and had a new flat screen! Third day I got a microwave and the room had a fridge so they are definitely updating items. King was very comfortable with at least 4-5 large pillows and nice comforter. I really liked that the hotel had beautiful native art everywhere, nice woodwork, heard boards and furniture in the rooms. They brought a warmth and character newer hotels just don't have anymore.

Hotel Bar/Restaurant:
Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant - was full almost every night I was there and was told one night you needed a reservation so definitely a popular spot. We ate at the bar 2 nights and the food, service and prices were excellent. They had live music/bands and dancing the one night we came down. Many locals there and the bands were really good. I have to say their Mexican dishes were great! I loved the Marguerite Chicken dish and their chips and Guacamole were wonderful. Margaritas and local beers too--all good.

Hotel Pool/gym:
I am runner so have higher expectations for gyms. Definitely small with 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and 1 bike and the equipment was older but it worked and I never had trouble waiting to use them. I used the gym every day I was there. Pool is outdoor, heated and adjacent to the gym as is the hot tub. Both were used very little but my wife and I were in them every day we were there. Adjacent showers we could use and then jump in the pool. Clean, well stocked with towels, we found free water bottles outside the gym and there was a TV while you worked out.

Access:
There is an airport in Santa Fe but I flew into Albuquerque which is about 60 minutes away by car and interstate 25. easy access and a fast drive - even during Albuquerque's daily rush hour. My wife flew in the 2nd night I was there and I drove back to the airport to get her. Outlet mall on the way but we didn't get a chance to stop.

Food/Shopping
The hotel is located right in the heart of the city and plaza area with many nice stores, restaurants and museums within easy walking distance - including the capital building that we went to and were able to walk right in and see the Senate and House of Representatives. For food, check out Upper Crust Pizza, the Plaza Bakery for ice cream, sandwiches, and desserts, Sleeping Dog for lunch or dinner and for breakfast check out Ze Bistro. Great prices and food. all just a few steps from the hotel.

Day Trip: Check out Los Alamos. About 45 minutes away. Great museum that chronicles the Manhattan Project, cute little downtown, shopping and lunch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I just had the most pleasurable stay at the La Fonda. The staff, in particular Joe and Brenda, at the front desk. We left some things in our room and when I called, Joe asked housekeeping to check the room. He called back within minutes to tell me they located my items and I had them on my doorstep within two days. Amazing responsiveness! Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!