“Luxury is history with big comforts” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Completely Renovated 2013
Ranked #4 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Diego, California
“Luxury is history with big comforts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

La Fonda is an old hotel built in the Santa Fe style and remodeled beautifully to keep up with current trends. My room was small, the bed was incredibly wonderful, and I had all the conveniences you would expect from a modern hotel. Because of multiple remodels, the hotel is on many levels. There are stairs, elevators, and lifts if you need one. The meeting rooms were spacious. I especially enjoyed being in La Teraza, which is on the top floor with views in all directions and a terrace so you can enjoy the views in the fresh air when the weather is nice. The staff was wonderful.

I did get a little tired of Mexican food, but that's Santa Fe. Mornings I ate at The French Bakery which was a delight.

The only problem I encountered was getting lost in the myriad of hallways. Finding my meeting room was sometimes difficult. However, the staff - any staff member - was always glad to drop what they were doing and show me the way.

Since La Fonda is right in the middle of the museums and the cathedrals and all the other goodies offered by downtown Santa Fe, I consider it a good choice.

Room Tip: Dicker. See what options are available.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Turkish first
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights. First 3 for a work conference and additional 2 with my wife to see the sights of Santa Fe having never been there before.

Hotel:
Classic old charm so you really get a sense of Santa Fe and its history. Beautiful lobby, tile floors, several nice shops, and a great bar and dining area in the atrium. I had a rental car and the on site parking was just $12/day with unlimited in/out access. Due to a mix up in my reservation I didn't have a room upon check in. Not the hotel's fault but I was given a free drink at the bar while they secured a room. Took about 2 hours and it was the middle of the day so I had lunch and it was no problem. Becky at the front desk was great! Another thing that really impressed me was their bellman. My suit was really hammered after the long flight and getting to my room late, Harold, the Bellman, was nice enough to iron it himself and got it back to me within an hour! who does that anymore??

Room was a king, on the smaller size but nice view and next door was an old church. The chimes were every quarter hour and coming from Chicago and the El I really liked that--hotel without it would have been too quiet for me but you might want to ask as you check in which side of the building you are on! Bathroom fixtures and furniture are definitely older and my sink had a crack in it but everything was clean and functioning. Oddly, on my second day I came back and had a new flat screen! Third day I got a microwave and the room had a fridge so they are definitely updating items. King was very comfortable with at least 4-5 large pillows and nice comforter. I really liked that the hotel had beautiful native art everywhere, nice woodwork, heard boards and furniture in the rooms. They brought a warmth and character newer hotels just don't have anymore.

Hotel Bar/Restaurant:
Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant - was full almost every night I was there and was told one night you needed a reservation so definitely a popular spot. We ate at the bar 2 nights and the food, service and prices were excellent. They had live music/bands and dancing the one night we came down. Many locals there and the bands were really good. I have to say their Mexican dishes were great! I loved the Marguerite Chicken dish and their chips and Guacamole were wonderful. Margaritas and local beers too--all good.

Hotel Pool/gym:
I am runner so have higher expectations for gyms. Definitely small with 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and 1 bike and the equipment was older but it worked and I never had trouble waiting to use them. I used the gym every day I was there. Pool is outdoor, heated and adjacent to the gym as is the hot tub. Both were used very little but my wife and I were in them every day we were there. Adjacent showers we could use and then jump in the pool. Clean, well stocked with towels, we found free water bottles outside the gym and there was a TV while you worked out.

Access:
There is an airport in Santa Fe but I flew into Albuquerque which is about 60 minutes away by car and interstate 25. easy access and a fast drive - even during Albuquerque's daily rush hour. My wife flew in the 2nd night I was there and I drove back to the airport to get her. Outlet mall on the way but we didn't get a chance to stop.

Food/Shopping
The hotel is located right in the heart of the city and plaza area with many nice stores, restaurants and museums within easy walking distance - including the capital building that we went to and were able to walk right in and see the Senate and House of Representatives. For food, check out Upper Crust Pizza, the Plaza Bakery for ice cream, sandwiches, and desserts, Sleeping Dog for lunch or dinner and for breakfast check out Ze Bistro. Great prices and food. all just a few steps from the hotel.

Day Trip: Check out Los Alamos. About 45 minutes away. Great museum that chronicles the Manhattan Project, cute little downtown, shopping and lunch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I just had the most pleasurable stay at the La Fonda. The staff, in particular Joe and Brenda, at the front desk. We left some things in our room and when I called, Joe asked housekeeping to check the room. He called back within minutes to tell me they located my items and I had them on my doorstep within two days. Amazing responsiveness! Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at La Fonda for her birthday. It's a beautiful hotel with a wonderful history. We loved the room, the food and the location. The staff was courteous and the service was excellent. We will choose La Fonda the next, and every time we visit Santa Fe.

st. paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel was remodeled in the 1920's and it is unique. The adobe-like walls, spanish floor tiles, painted window panes are charming. the staff is pleasant and helpful.
The food is great and it was one of the best places we ate in Santa Fe.
Free Wifi and lovely lobby. Right on the plaza so very convenient.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

This historic hotel has something to look at in every corner. You could spend a day wandering around the lobby and hallways gazing at the beautiful artwork, architecture, and decor. The restaurant is a gorgeous, sunny room with superior food and service. Our suite had 2 bathrooms, a large living room, separate bedroom and a balcony looking out into the hills of Santa Fe. The icing on the cake however, was the untouchable service that La Fonda extends to its guests. We felt as if Pauline, Dennis and Joe at the front desk could not do enough for us. They were happy to spend time with us each day answering all of our questions about local real estate, resturants, shopping, etc. Omar our porter was always on hand to help with parking logistics and whatever else we needed. We loved our stay at this hotel and will surely return.

Room Tip: Low season pricing is extremely affordable
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

This was one of many trips to Santa Fe and La Fonda but this was by far the best experience ever. From making the initial reservation, talking with Jessica by phone about using my gift certificate, to the arrival and warm greeting by Dennis at the front desk, I could not have asked for more. Dennis was amazing! He has the perfect personality and charm plus the professional demeanor and knowledge to make you feel that you are the most special guest in the property. Staff in every part of the operation were 5 diamond quality. Dinner and breakfast were wonderful, food and service was exceptional and the renovations in the restaurant since I last visited were really well done. The location can't be beat, easy access to shops and museums. La Fonda holds such wonderful memories for me and this trip reminds me that it is not so much the building as it is the staff who provide such a rich experience. To Dennis and all the others, thank you for the memories and I will be back soon!
Dr. Beth Wilson

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Fonda on the Plaza? Share your experiences!