“You get what you pay for (and perhaps a bit more)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Santa Fe Suites

You added The Santa Fe Suites to your Saves list
The Santa Fe Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3007 S St Francis Dr, Santa Fe, NM 87505 (Formerly Camel Rock Suites)   |
Ranked #47 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“You get what you pay for (and perhaps a bit more)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

If this is your first trip to Santa Fe, you're only staying a night or two, and you can afford it, I recommend staying within walking distance of the Plaza. Last year we stayed at the Santa Fe Motel and loved it, but they didn't have space this year so we decided to save money and stay farther out. I regretted this...hassling with driving and parking just wasn't the same "immersion" into the old town.

But, if you're staying longer, planning day trips and/or you're on a tight budget, this place can't be beat.

PRO:

LOCATION - this location is MUCH better than heading to the chain motels out on Cerrillos. That drive up Cerrillos to the Plaza is slow and ugly and will spoil your visit. Here you can take a scenic and lightly-traveled back route up some side streets to Santa Fe Trail (goes right to the plaza.) You'll also be closer to Museum Hill, a spectacular place to catch the sunsets.

There is also a bus stop on Zia within 5 minutes walk that will put you at the Plaza in 15 minutes. (Except Sunday) Santa Fe Trails Route #6. It's $2 to ride all day, which would buy you about an hour of parking if you can find it. Surprisingly, the otherwise well-informed desk attendants were unaware of this valuable asset... I unfortunately didn't discover this until the end of our trip, by which time I was exasperated with navigating and parking.

It's close to I-25, ideal for day trips to Pecos and Bandelier and Los Alamos.

PRICE - The AARP rate was a ridiculously low $69. If you stay 7 days and pay up front, it's $59.

ROOMS - Each suite includes a kitchen with a full-size fridge, and a little dining area.

FOOD - It's 5 minutes to either Trader Joes or Whole Foods (both are north at the intersection of St. Francis and Cordova) or you can also just walk to the Albertson's, and there's a great little Mexican restaurant, Jalapenos there too.

CONS

By now you're wondering how the same place can get reviews ranging from 1 - 5 stars. The reason is because it is a large facility with several buildings, and the quality of your stay might depend on where you end up. Some of the rooms have been upgraded and some have not...I got the sense that the longer your visit, the more likely you'll be put into an upgraded room.

Also, "sleep quality" wise the rooms which face inward are going to be quieter than those on the parking lots. If you're on the south parking lot you'll hear the roar of I-25 all night. If you're on the north parking lot (as we were) you will be awakened at 4 a.m. by the massive delivery trucks heading to and from Albertsons rumbling past your window. I'm a light sleeper so I always carry earplugs, otherwise we would have left after the first night.

CONDITION - We were in an "upgraded" room but this is not luxury suites. It felt more like staying at a friend's apartment. Furniture getting beat up, stains on the carpet, tattered blanket BUT firm comfy mattresses. It was relatively clean, but the first night I was walking around in my socks and noticed when I got into bed that the bottoms were black...not good. But again, what do you expect for $69 a night in Santa Fe?

MY BASIC RECOMMENDATION: Whether or not you like this place depends upon what you're expecting. If you're a budget traveler, and a hotel is just a place to sleep, you will love this place. It's cheap, well located (even if it's a little weird being behind a grocery store) the staff is incredibly friendly. The kitchen is a money-saving bonus, and the extra space is nice. You can watch the sunrise over the mountains just by stepping out into the parking lot...it would be nice if they had a bench or two though.

If however hotel ambiance is an important part of your experience, you probably won't be happy here. Neither the rooms nor the property itself were very inviting.

But as a place to lay your head after a long day of site-seeing...fantastic value.

NB: on their website under "Fitness & Health" they say you can get free passes to use the pool at Chavez Community Center. However, while using the computer in the lobby area I overheard a customer complaining that this was no longer available. I don't know all the details BUT if having access to a pool is a deal breaker for you, be sure to check on it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights. The room was fine for 2 people. The kitchen was very good. Front desk staff was very friendly. Easy drive to downtown. For Santa Fe this was a great bargain. The downside was that the wireless was very weak and you had to go to the office for a good connection. Also we were on the first floor and we heard the people above us. I recommend staying on the 2nd floor

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

We stayed here four nights in the first week of June. Got a special online rate for three or more nights, from their website. Probably the best deal in Santa Fe, and it includes a modest breakfast (cereals, juice, coffee, bagels, muffins, waffles, fruit) each day. The suites are modest as well, but clean and the studio kitchens have adequate supplies. The sleeper sofa is not the best place to sit and read.The carpets are getting a bit old, but the bed was comfortable, and price included daily maid services, fresh towels, etc. Onsite laundry room and small exercise room. Very close to grocery store, and a couple of inexpensive restaurants. Great location for accessing main roads to Santa Fe attractions, as well as I-25. Our second stay at this location - will stay here again.

Cincinnati, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Santa Fe Suites on a recent vacation. The location is pretty good, as it is close to the interstate, and also a 10 minute drive to downtown. The room we stayed in had a kitchenette, but we didn't end up using it. The look of the room seemed outdated, and the mattress could stand being replaced. We chose it because it was less expensive than other hotels; if we traveled to Santa Fe it again, we probably would look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

This was our second stay at The Santa Fe Suites. We reserved an accessible room which gave us a big bathroom with tub and a better kitchen layout but a less comfortable bed than a regular room. The bed was low and very hard - I had to buy a matress pad, which helped a great deal. The is no internet connection in most rooms, but I was told they are working on that. The best part is being able to cook in the kitchen. I love the farmers market and Whole Foods (we don't have WF close to home) so we got to buy yummy fresh food and prepare a delicious meal in house and enjoy a quiet evening together. Except for a few trucks delivering good to the Albertsons, the Santa Fe Suites is very quite. Still a great value!

Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I stayed at the Santa Fe Suites during a recent trip to Santa Fe for a conference. I thought it was great! It was close to the interstate, so it was easy for me to get to the hotel and back out of town when traveling before and after the conference (I drove). It was close to a major road, so traveling through the city was a breeze even though it was much further from the convention center and the downtown area than the majority of the conference goers were lodged.

I loved having a kitchen in my room! The conference didn't include many meals, so I cooked and ate almost all of my meals in my room (I opted to cook my own breakfasts rather than eating the continental breakfast provided by the hotel - the same continental breakfast you get at most of the lower priced or mid-ranged hotels). I brought pots and pans and dishes with me, but basic cooking supplies (a saucepan and a skillet, 4 sets of flatware, place settings for 4 people, glasses and mugs, spatula, colander, cutting board) were provided in the room. The room had a full sized fridge, so I could actually fit all of my food for the week in it. I also had a coffee maker that I didn't use (I made tea with the microwave) and a toaster. The kitchen was small and didn't include an oven (the range had 2 burners), but it was wholly adequate for the simple meals I was preparing during my stay. Even better, there is a grocery store (Albertson's) across the parking lot, so it's very easy to get groceries for cooking.

I ran the A/C unit during the day and then opened my second story window at night for a completely comfortable temperature in my room. I also felt safe wandering around the property at night, which was nice.

There was a TON of storage space in my room, including a dresser, kitchen cabinets, a bookcase built into the breakfast nook, a floor to ceiling built in bookcase, and a closet. The bathroom had ample space for my needs as well. I loved having the small couch and coffee table for relaxing while watching TV or reading and the breakfast nook was a great place to both prepare and eat meals.

There were two things I didn't like about my room. There was no desk and as my trip was a work trip and I needed to use my computer in the evenings, this was frustrating for me. I ended up using the breakfast nook as my workspace and it worked okay most of the time, but I had to move all of my work things to cook or eat there. The other thing I didn't like was the tiny shower. There was barely enough space for my travel sized shampoo and conditioner plus the soap - I couldn't have put anything else in the shower. There was also no way to get out of the stream of water, so it was a little difficult to get lathered up.

Aside from these two issues, I was quite pleased with my room. Considering how little it cost compared to many other hotels in the area and the remote location compared to my conference, I didn't expect to like it as well as I did. However, I found that I could have stayed in my room for a month or more quite happily - I really liked it! My room was quiet, the parking was great (right at the base of the stairs to my room!), and the service was good. My room was comfortable and well designed for longer stays. Overall, I was very pleased with my room and I will be staying there again the next time I got to Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We were actually supposed to be out camping when the winds picked at the campground to 50-60mph. We opted to break down camp and go stay in a hotel in Santa Fe for the couple of days of high winds.

Santa Fe Suites was so accommodating in getting us into a room at 8:30am (at no extra fee for the early arrival). We stayed here because they had the kitchenette, and we could still cook our camp food. They were so helpful in getting us pots, pans, griddles, spatulas. We are pretty sure that they hadn’t had guests cooking to the extent we were cooking in our rooms.

The place was very clean and taken care of, and the staff was fantastic.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Santa Fe Suites? Share your experiences!