“Dog Poop Park” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Santa Fe Suites

You added The Santa Fe Suites to your Saves list
The Santa Fe Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3007 S St Francis Dr, Santa Fe, NM 87505 (Formerly Camel Rock Suites)   |
Ranked #47 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
sydney
“Dog Poop Park”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night knowing it is a budget stay but still expecting a clean room etc. Room cleanliness very ordinary, hair in bathroom etc. TV remote chewed by dog, toilet not even attached to floor securely. The biggest turnoff is the fact that a lot of the suites are rented by long term people with dogs. There is Dog excrement everywhere outside the rooms along the pathway and grass areas. Obviously the renters with pets don't care nor do management. If you like the site of "poop park" first thing in the morning this place is for you! Even for the $$ I wouldn't stay again try another budget stay. You have been warned.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Where do I start? We opted to stay here after our first night in a cabin up the hill was overheated and inconvenient. The Santa Fe Suites were formerly called the Camel Rock Suites and they're situated at the rear of a mall which means convenient walking distance to an Albertson's supermarket, Walgreens and other stores of necessity.

Our room had a kitchenette, equipped with dishwasher (we did not use it), cutlery, microwave, coffee maker, fridge/freezer, queen bed, coffee table, love seat, TV, free WIFI and of course bathroom.

We were charged $59 a night (special internet rate) and the host advised that most places in Santa Fe put their prices up during peak season, but their rates are the same. They offer discounts for extended stays. There is a full laundry facility on site (self-service).

This is less like a hotel and more like a very small apartment. An included continental breakfast is included in the price and is also delicious.

I fully recommend this establishment for singles, couples, families and groups. One suite is suitable for 2 people, unless you opt for a suite with a sleeper sofa. We did ask about a crib, but they don't have them. Luckily, we had our own portable one.

Room Tip: If you have a toddler or baby that requires a crib, please do not rely on the suites to provide you...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have family in Santa Fe and visit frequently. Santa Fe Suites is perfect for our needs -- with the small kitchenettes we are able to cook in as needed, it's close to our relatives, and only a few minutes from The Plaza. The staff is incredibly accommodating. We typically request 2 beds in the room, a handicap room, as well as a ground floor location. While this is not 5 star quality, it is excellent value for our family stays. We wouldn't dream of going anyplace else and typically visit twice a year.

Recently we had a large family reunion with guests from all over the country -- as well as from Novia Scotia. Everyone reserved rooms at The Santa Fe Suites and we were all quite pleased with our visit. I believe they are pet friendly as well, so it's really a great deal if you are traveling with a furry companion.

Also, on more than one occasion, someone has left something behind. They always find it and get it back to us!!! :-)

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you have mobility issues, request a ground floor suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here May 24-26, 2013. Close to I-25 freeway, quiet, has trees and birds and grass (not all budget hotels do), big windows that open to the breeze, great for my dog, decent kitchenette, super clean bathroom, walking distance to a fantastic affordable restaurant called Jalapenos that just opened in March. Tips: ask for a non-smoking room with good Wi-Fi (near office) facing an open-air walkway (not facing the parking lot). Don't use the fold-out sofa sleeper -- upgrade to 2 doubles/queens instead. Skip the boring free breakfast and go to Jalapenos for their unforgettable breakfast tortas. No pool or balconies. Far from the Plaza, only 2 miles but not a fun walk due to noisy dangerous streets and lack of sidewalks, so I drove a lot. Wish I had found a budget place a few blocks from the Plaza or the up-and-coming neighborhood called The Railyard which has a great Farmer's Market & Artisan's Market on Saturday mornings. The hotel is safe -- I left my $600 camera in the car overnight on the passenger seat and nobody took it. Amazing. I just wish they would oxy-clean the carpets and upholstery, but I'm finicky about that. Otherwise, it was a decent place to stay for budget travelers. Whatever you do, go to Jalapenos!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior walkways and grassy areas are way better than those facing the parking lot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is my fifth stay at Santa Fe Suites and, unfortunately, the upkeep is questionable. You get the feeling that owners are struggling financially. I'm really saddened by what I saw.

The positives -
1. A full kitchen complete with dishwasher, disposable, full sized frig/freezer, utensils, etc.
2. Large windows that open completely - love that cool mountain evening air.
3. Great location. Although not on the main drag, Cerrillos Rd., it is south and west, taking half the time to get to the Plaza area with less traffic. It is quiet, safe. There is an Albertson's virtually in the parking lot, a Walgreen's, a great Mexican restaurant, Jalapenos, in the parking lot, etc. I feel safe there.
4. Community Center is only 2 miles away. It costs $3.00 for a visitor and magnificent pool, workout area, etc. Well worth the visit.
5. Great price for Santa Fe, particularly with a kitchen.

The negatives -
1. Our mattress was horrid - broken down sides and springs. Way too old to be in a hotel. The sheets are so old they are gray. Extremely sub grade cotton (feels like gauze) that keep popping off the corners. And the mattress is old style, by no means thick or tall. The sheets are crap.
2. The heat lamp in the bathroom was missing and the other fixture was so dirty/dusty, you hardly had any light.
3. The usual pole lamp/reading lamp by the sofa was missing.
4. Ironing board was there but iron was missing.
5. My husband described the toilet paper as "notebook paper." I knew to bring our own.
6. Internet didn't work although they advertise it.
7. TV is probably 10-12 years old at best. Very limited cable - channels did not match up with programs which makes me wonder if they didn't pay their cable bill and cable and premium channels were disconnected.

All-in-all, if you are looking for budget lodging in Santa Fe, this place works. I love the property but will consider staying elsewhere if they don't get on the ball and do necessary repairs/upgrades. The price is cheap but you get what you pay for and pretty soon I would expect to pay far less if the property isn't improved. I've stayed in numerous Hotwire hotels in Santa Fe over the last ten years. I thought I had found a gem with Santa Fe Suites but after this visit, not sure I can't find something better that shows pride of ownership at a different hotel for same price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alamogordo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

$50 per night. Positives-quiet, clean, decent kitchenette, great location. Cons- Internet didnt work, no hair dryer (despite being advertised), no coffee pot, despite coffee present. I called the front desk and he eventually found a pot in an unoccupied room (my idea). Carpet was old, damaged, and disgusting, but I think it was clean. Smelled somewhat of cigarette smoke, despit being nonsmoking. Bed was pretty comfortable. AC and heat both worked and were not too loud. Didn't know they had breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a decent hotel, and very fairly priced. The room was very clean, the staff quite helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was worthless (completely ran out of coffee, no butter for the toast, no fruit, etc). Good enough that I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Santa Fe Suites? Share your experiences!