“Just what I was looking for!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarasota, Florida
“Just what I was looking for!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Although quite large, it does not feel as though it is. This is a charming hotel in a central, but quiet location. Our room was lovely with a Santa Fe decor, but was quite dark. Once the lights were on, we loved the room and small balcony. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and the room spacious. The service in the hotel was excellent, and the spa the very best. My husband and I both had excellent massages. We also enjoyed a delicious dinner on their outside patio. They even provided me with a black shawl, as the night was quite cool. I would definitely choose this hotel again, even though it is quite expensive with added charges for parking and service charges. It was worth it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Misssouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

I first made this reservation in June with a rate that included a room upgrade if available at check in. Because we were in town for the Wine and Chile Festival I feared the property may sell out so I opted to pay for an upgraded room in July. I specifically told the reservationist that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday and that I would like a nice view. I was disappointed when we walked out onto our balcony to find a view of the roof. We went back down to the front desk and I was told we got what I paid for, the hotel was booked and no other rooms were available. At that point I asked to speak with a manager but was told he was in a meeting. After several minutes of discussion, she found another superior king room for us. When we walked out onto its balcony, we found we overlooked the huge trash dumpsters for the property and air conditioner units. I, again, contacted the front desk and they told me they would have a manager call me back. Shortly thereafter, a man named Roosevelt contacted us and was very gracious. He took us to see another room that did, in fact, have a view of the mountains. Roosevelt, it turns out, was the highlight of our stay. We appreciated his desire to help us find a room with a view.
The room itself was, as others have posted, dark and on the small side. I was prepared for that and really loved the look of the exterior of the property. I was not, however, prepared for the complete lack of service. A note on the bed informed us that the linens are changed only every fourth day unless the guest requests otherwise. I tried to call housekeeping and guest services over a thirty minute period and neither extension ever answered. When we returned to our room from dinner at Coyote Cafe the first night there had not been turn down service.
The following morning I called housekeeping at 7:30 a.m. to request fresh linens. I was told that "the girls" arrive at 8 a.m., that we would get fresh sheets, and we would be their first room. We ate breakfast at Cafe Pasquals and walked the town until about 10 a.m. It was not until approximately 11 a.m. when housekeeping appeared. We decided to go to the pool while the room was cleaned and order lunch there. My husband used the designated phone to call for food and beverage service and was told someone would be right out. Fifteen minutes later - the church bells tolled - he called again to request a server. After thirty minutes we called back to say that no-one had come out and that we were giving up and returning to our room. When we returned to our room the doorkey would not work. My husband went to the front desk to have it recoded and it again did not work. Eventually someone from engineering was called.
The assistant manager from Luminaria called us to apologize and offer us a complimentary lunch. We accepted and were told by Carolyn that they have one person who handles room service orders and pool orders and that he was "slammed." Perhaps that explains why there were always discarded room service trays in the hallways.
Friday night before we left for dinner at Geronimo's I called and asked if they had turn down service and was told that they certainly did. I told them that we had not had such our first night and they said they would send someone and when would be convenient. I told them when we would be out for dinner. When we returned, we were disappointed to see that, again, there had been no service.
However, that would not be the end of our disappointment Friday evening. There was a private reception on the balcony adjacent to our room. At 9:30 we were ready for bed as we are on Central time. I called the front desk and asked what time the party ended and was told 10 p.m. Because it was very chilly outside, many people were congregating in the hallway right outside our room. The party went until 11:30 with no attempt from the management to quiet it or insure it was outside and not in the hallway outside people's rooms.
Saturday morning we left bright and early to head for the Farmers Market. We had been told the night before by the bell staff that a free shuttle ran to the railyard from the corner of Water and Cathedral every day starting at 6 a.m. Standing outside in the brisk morning air for fifteen minutes or so, we became wary of the referral. A call to the number on the sign revealed that the service is weekdays. Saturday service did not start until 11 a.m.
By Saturday late morning we were, naturally, excited to check out of the hotel. We tried to use the prompts on our television set for hotel services to check-out but, alas, that service was not working.
I cannot believe that our experience is what the management team at this property aspires to. We were genuinely dismayed by the lack of service we received while visiting. Unfortunately, we do not feel we got anywhere close to our money's worth on this hotel.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Our stay was great! Service could not be better and the location is wonderful. If you are going to Santa Fe, this is the hotel to stay in.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
elmhurst, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate our anniversary over Labor Day Weekend. The hotel itself was nice. The location was superb. The room was well appointed but felt a little cramped. As others have said the bed was awesome...but we like a softer bed. We did have a door that opened to a balcony and our view was of the church which was very pretty. It was nice that the hotel had a small fitness center with 24 hour access. That's a plus for me. The lobby bar was nice and the outdoor part of the restaurant was very pretty, however, we did not have the opportunity to eat there.

On the down side, I thought the service was mediocre. I called the "guest services" line three times and no one ever answered the phone. The valet parking service was just stupid. We could have easily walked to our car, we could see it from the entry way, but the valet had our keys. During peak times you did have to wait for your car, which was aggravating since we could see it. I understand from other reviews that the hotel had a pool. I wasn't looking to swim but I never saw the pool so I can't comment on it one way or the other.

The hotel was nice and had a good location, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd stay here again.

marina del rey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Inn and Spa at Loretto with friends and had a wonderful stay. The hotel rooms are unique and charming. I found the reddish walls very southwestern. The room was spacious, bed very comfortable, and ample lighting throughout. The Lumanaria restaurant is very pretty, both indoors and out. The food and decor were outstanding. I also found the inside bar area very cozy and comfortable. Service levels throughout the hotel were top notch. The location is specatular, being a very short walk to the plaza area as well as Canyon Road. Finally, nice resort style pool - spacious area and very comfortaby and cushy lounge chairs. Unfortunately, I did not have time to enjoy the spa but that will definately be on the list for my next visit to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Easy to get to; great food; great access to downtown without being on a main street. Very nice conference facilities.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

we came here for a wedding and, it's true! the rooms are dark. if you want to read in your room, bring a head lamp. but, it's VERY clean, in a great location, nice southwestern decor. the beds are very, very soft. like pillow tops and then some. if you like firm beds, this may not be your place. overall, very nice if a bit overpriced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!