“Best hotel in Santa FE” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
dallas
“Best hotel in Santa FE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

This hotel has the best restaurant in town! The Living Room bar is also a great spot and you cant beat the location, service and ammenities. Its a charming, luxury, boutique hotel in traditional Santa Fe adobe syle. Order the Breakfast Burrito with Christmas sauce from Luminaria... it was the highlight of my trip. One thing that was kinda cool, is that you will learn a complex Elevator system while staying here. if you don’t remember which Elevator you took...you will explore various areas of the hotel. e.g. I ended up in the SPA on one, at the Restaurant on another and then at the Lobby. This becomes useful depending on where you want to go and sometimes surprisingly fun.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
SandyHeydt, Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your kind comments about The Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe. It is gratifying to hear your positive comments because we work so hard with our staff to provide the best luxury hotel experience in Santa Fe, from great service to warm and comfortable accommodations to incredible food. It sounds like in your opinion we have succeeded. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Stefan Huber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

There was one phrase that came to mind when we had to leave the Hotel Loretto in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Firing on all cylinders! It was an absolutely amazing stay and the staff and service was impeccable. Before I go on I just want to say this is only the second occasion I have taken time to write about how “good” a hotel stay has been.
The one thing that comes to mind after being gone for a month is the staff and service. Every single one was helpful, kind and courteous and extended us a greeting. Not once but every day. It was like some unspoken code of hotel honor had penetrated the hotel and staff. Coming from a big city and having this kind of treatment really can catch you off guard. I guess what I am trying to say is that it felt genuine. And that is rare! Sure you expect it at the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton because you know that it is drilled into their heads to be this way. But not at the Hotel Loretto, their care and attention to detail actually felt real.

We had breakfast every morning at the hotel restaurant, and many lunches, and loved it. The food is what you would expect from Santa Fe, delicious and unique with touches of red and green chile on every dish. Our server, Carlos, took extreme care in our service and making sure that everything was just right. We ended up asking for his section by the end of the trip. Do not miss dining here and if the weather permits, insist on the patio next to the old church.

I have been coming to Santa Fe for over twenty years and have seen many changes at this hotel and its surroundings, but nothing as profound as this. It is like they found the perfect recipe for hotel management. And I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the new manager. He introduced himself as Stephan and I think he was German but the accent was very faint. As we were leaving, in passing, he stopped to ask us how our stay was. After we told him how we felt, he just smiled and thanked us and asked us to please come again. But we recognized him. Our room was on the ground floor with a very large patio that overlooked the pool area.

We noticed that in the afternoons at a corner of the pool or in the gardens small groups of employees would gather around a table and make small talk. Then, a tall man in a business suit would arrive, smile and greet the group, tell a quick joke, say a few quiet words and then leave without ever sitting down. We noticed it because it seemed odd at the time. But when this man greeted us at our departure we realized that he must be the general manager. At the same moment it became very obvious that the there was only one way that such precision can consistently take place in an organization. It comes from the top down!!

I live in South Florida and am in the tourism business and have managed hotels in the past. With such a strong service background it is hard to go places and not make judgments because you notice so many little things. It is so easy to find fault and criticize. No faults to criticize at the Hotel Loretto. Nothing but praise!

I very rarely take to time to write about hotel stays but when I left I promised my better half that I would do this for them because they really do deserve it. And there was one other thing that this little review would not be complete without. There is a clothes and furniture shop, or fabric shop, not really sure which, located in the hotel that is incredible. The name is Faircloth Ltd and it is one of the most beautiful shops we have ever seen. My fiancé could not get enough of the handmade linen clothes and scarves and antique quilts! And we are still using some of her rock soap. The shops proprietor, Rose, is absolutely adorable. We will be coming back…

Hotel Loretto, please don’t change a single thing!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Drove down to Santa Fe for a pre-holiday getaway weekend with my husband - and absolutely loved the Inn and Spa at Loretto! From the moment we walked in the door, we felt surrounded by relaxed luxury - a beautiful lobby with Native American artwork, fireplace, and extremely friendly staff.

Our room was a small one, no balcony or upgrades, but with so much to see and do in the Plaza area (you really don't need a car, everything is walking distance) we spent very little time there. The bed was large and comfortable with soft, sleep-inducing linens and the bathroom was sparkling clean with thick towels and robes for relaxing.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant (Luminaria) was wonderful; candlelit ambience, soft benchlike seats, and a woodburning fireplace. Excellent New Mexican cuisine and wine pairings - very enjoyable dining experience.

From the Inn at Loretto, we were able to walk to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, the dozens of boutiques along the Plaza, and all the fine restaurants and sightseeing nearby. We basically valet-parked our car on Saturday morning and left it there until Monday night! There is so much to see all within walking distance of the hotel - just be prepared for sudden weather changes and bring some comfortable shoes for sightseeing!

The best part of our stay was spending a snowy Sunday afternoon in the "Living Room" lounge, watching football and reading the Sunday papers - while enjoying Bloody Marys and appetizers.

We really appreciated the excellent, friendly staff at Loretto and plan a return trip (really, we could've stayed 10 days and only begun to see everything) as soon as possible.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I stayed at the Inn of Loretto for a three day stay. While visiting Santa Fe, I enjoyed the Inn's restaurant, lodging and spa activities. I was pleasantly taken aback by the overall presence of two staff members in particular. Josephine, at the front desk, greeted me by name upon my arrival, since I had called earlier to inquire if I could checkin early. Throughout the stay, she greeted me by name even in the hallway, which made me feel like a welcomed guest. At the Spa, I never have seen in my travels, Astrology and Chakra Balancing services available-just what I was looking for in New Mexico, along with a facial. I was interested in the astrology but it required 24 hour notice, which was understandable, since this does take some preparation. I was informed that the person who does this, Brian was scheduled off the next day. However, the technician did offer to call Brian to see if he would be able to come in to accommodate my schedule. She said that he often adjusts his schedule for the guests. Brian was outstanding in his abilities.
What made the Inn's Spa special, was the appreciation and overall goodwill that staff exhibited toward guests and among themselves.
As a business owner, management staff has to be commended for recruiting individuals who are dedicated to providing excellent hospitality to their guests. The location of the Inn made site-seeing a breeze during my short stay. Overall, I was extremely pleased with my service and accommodations.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

The hotel package booked on Luxury Link seemed a safe bet, especially given the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. I reserved one room with Luxury Link and a second directly with the hotel. Both rooms had been upgraded with nice amenities, design features and colors. The rooms were clean and shared a balcony allowing the rooms to be connecting without a door between them. The hotel was immaculate, inside and out. Housekeeping was exceptional and both housekeepers that I dealt with were very kind and responsive. The deluxe room (217) that I reserved was very large and had a nice sitting area. The adjoining superior room (215) was also beautifully appointed and, although smaller, very comfortable. The rooms were both very dark, as others have mentioned, and the florescent light bulbs do not help, although I am sure they are more energy efficient. There was no reading lamp in the second room or by the chair and ottoman in the deluxe room. There are no safes in the rooms. All rooms are equipped with hair dryers, irons and ironing boards and large flat screen televisions. There is no turndown service in the evening. The bathrooms are very large, beautifully designed and have nice amenities. I rate the room and associated housekeeping service as "Very Good."

The food at Luminaria is exceptional! The chairs and tables look out of place in what could otherwise be a very elegant restaurant and are very uncomfortable. The service for dinner on Saturday was paced beautifully and we were not at all rushed. Our server and the other wait staff were all exceptional, as was the host. The menu had a variety of very nice selections and a nice wine menu to accompany the dining menu. The tortilla soup is award winning and beautifully presented. Breakfast both mornings was outstanding. The blue corn pancakes with piñon nut syrup and the pumpkin waffle with pumpkin butter were excellent choices. The oatmeal is served thoughtfully and quite beautifully. The service on Sunday morning was also very good. Monday, however, was another story. The server was less than service oriented, which resulted in very poor service. I spoke directly with the restaurant manager after waiting more than 20 minutes to be served a cup of coffee and orange juice at our table and she immediately stepped up the level of service, serving the food to our table personally with the assistance of one of the other wait staff. The server, when presenting our check, did apologize for the delay in bringing the coffee and provided a $3 deduction for one coffee from our bill. We were pleased with and appreciated the apology, but if this had been our first dining experience, it would have been our last at Luminaria. Others have commented on the low level of service, as well, and I hope the management take notice and act accordingly. The restaurant is highly rated and deserves to be. I rate the restaurant as "Excellent."

The front desk personnel were neither friendly nor welcoming. Not once did any of the front desk staff offer a smile or make immediate eye contact when asked a question during my three day visit ... and that was if I could find anyone at the front desk! The valet service was efficient, although they had the same dismal attitude that the front desk staff had. I rate the overall service and customer service of the front desk and valet personnel as "Terrible."

The Concierge, Julie, was amazing! From the first call of introduction to ask if there was anything she could do to make my stay more enjoyable before my arrival, to the warm welcome she gave me on arrival and for her kind offers of assistance and continuous name recognition during my stay, she was absolutely outstanding! Although new with the property and to the industry, she is very knowledgeable, a lot of fun and a wonderful representation of the property! Although I did not work with any of the other Concierge staff, they, like Julie, each appeared to be very happy and were always smiling. What a concept in an industry that specializes in people ... I hope the front desk and valet personnel will soon receive extensive training in this area. I rate the Concierge staff and service as "Excellent."

The Lobby Lounge did have entertainment on Saturday evening; no entertainment on Sunday evening. I had asked friends from neighboring hotels to meet to enjoy cocktails and listen to the "singer" in the Lobby Lounge following each of our respective dinner engagements. The “singer” spent the better part of 20 minutes adjusting the volume and sound of his speakers and microphone and then took a break. We left without having cocktails or listening to any of his music to go to a neighboring property where the service and cocktails were excellent. The lounge was nicely designed with very comfortable seating. The servers were attentive. I have not provided a rating on the Lobby Lounge because I was not there long enough to do so.

I had made spa appointments prior to my visit, but had to cancel them due to time and scheduling constraints. The reception area of the Spa is very inviting and the Spa personnel were all very friendly and accommodating, both on the telephone and in person. I rate the Spa as “Excellent.”

I have given this property an overall rating of "Average" because of the lack of customer service and friendliness by the front desk and valet personnel. Not once was I asked if my stay was a pleasant one or made to feel as if I would be welcomed on a return visit. The hotel is nicely designed and decorated and the shops are beautiful with very nice merchandise.

Overall, I had a wonderful visit to Santa Fe and look forward to my next one. Santa Fe is a very friendly city with very friendly people. I do not know what happened with the staff the weekend I visited, but I do hope that the level of service improves to be consistent with the warm and friendly ambience of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stayed in Santa Fe for a business meeting Oct. 19-Oct. 22. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. I had a superior king, and yes, the balcony is shared. Not a big deal for me, as it was too cold to sit out there or even have the door open. I was able to step outside a couple of times just see what's out there. The best thing about the hotel room was the bed. Very comfortable, with lots of comfy pillows! One thing I wasn't prepared for was that parking is valet only, so be sure to have some dollars for tips. I got caught without any cash for this and had to go to an ATM. Another minor complaint is that everything is pretty pricey, from the food ($14 for 3 mini burgers) to the spa ($120 for 50 minute massage). That maybe just Santa Fe, so be prepared to spend some bucks for food. I didn't get to walk around too much, but it seems to be in a good location. I flew into ABQ. Another point to mention is that once in Santa Fe, you really don't need your car unless you want to explore further out. Mine sat at the hotel for 3 days. There is a train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe if you want save the rental car fees. I don't know anything about the train pricing or schedule, but it might be something to check out. The hotel said the train station is only a 10 minute walk. I am looking forward to going back to Santa Fe again. I will probably stay somewhere else, just because I like variety and see new things. The meeting was held at the La Fonda Hotel, which also looked nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Tacoma,WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Wonderful service, lovely inn, beautiful room. Perfect location to enjoy sites, restaurants, and history of Santa Fe.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!