“Don't panic Loretto is fine” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Little Rock ,Ar
“Don't panic Loretto is fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I stayed at the Inn and Spa at Loretto as a 60th birthday gift for my Mom with my two sisters for 4 nights in July. Don't panic if you have booked this hotel there is nothing wrong with it! Is it the most fabulous place I have stayed, no. But it was perfectly comfortable and the staff was extremely pleasant and very helpful. I stayed here with my husband several years ago and I do agree that the decor is much too dark, and be prepared for the extra charges when booking. However I booked two vista grande balcony rooms through hotels.com for the four of us and expected to pay the 10$ resort charge daily on each room and the Loretto only charged me for one room which I thought was very fair. The location is perfect and the beds were very comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. After reading the tripadvisor reviews I was worried before the trip but I was very pleased with our stay.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — dark interior decoration
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel and from the moment we arrived, everything was fabulous. The guest rooms were extremely comfortable and very well-equipped for our four-night stay. We dined in the restaurant and the bar, as well as had lunch by the pool, and the food and service was outstanding in all three areas. The concierge desk was very helpful in guiding us around the area and made very helpful suggestions, as did the front desk staff. The spa staff was excellent and the services we received there were wonderful. It is located in the best part of town and near numerous restuarants, shops and attractions. I stopped by a couple of other hotels while there and neither had the ambience or attraction that the Inn and Spa at Loretto provided. I would highly recommend this beautiful, historic hotel and am looking forward to a return trip!!

• Liked — Location and ambience of the hotel
  • Disliked — Fitness center
Boulder, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

- If you want to pay 4-stars price in a 2 1/2 stars quality room, you're in the right place.

- The hotel building is very nice, but the quality inside is just not what I had expected.

- The newly renovated rooms are dark, very dark, nothing like what you see in their website at all.

- Mandatory valet parking is not a good system for the small front entrance that they have.... also, I saw only 5-6 valet staffs during the peak hours... just not worth your $16 parking fee.

- What's $10 resort fee for!!!! the fitness room is very small. Actually it's the smallest fitness room I've ever seen in any 4 stars hotels. To make it worse, the fitness room is not in the hotel building, it's in the parking lot.... And the hallway is just dark (due to the new interior design)

- The pool man was cleaning the pool at 9:30am when the guests were swimming. He could have done it much earlier, like 7am. I didn't expect this to happen in a 4 stars hotel at all.

- The best thing about this location is "LOCATION" ... that's it.

I had a good time in Santa Fe, wonderful art galleries, great foods, nice people..... the only bad thing in my trip was this hotel ... (ok, it's not that bad, it's just not worth what they are charging)

*** keep in mind that, for this hotel, you need to pay $16 (parking fee) + $10 (resort fee) on top of the rate, and the total hotel tax in Santa Fe is another 14%

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
shuber, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, July 11, 2008
Thank you for the feedback.

We appreciate the comments that our visitors have recently posted on Tripadvisor.com about the service and décor at Inn and Spa at Loretto. We hear what you are saying and want to let you know what we are doing about things. Regarding service, we’ve had a complete management change. I recently took the general manager’s post only two months ago. We are now fully staffed and with new training and service programs that are being implemented, we will make sure that service levels are maintained and guest expectations are met.

In addition, we are in the final stages of a $7.5 million renovation. We recognize that the current design calls for more lighting in the rooms which will be added by the end of August. Although there will be continuous renovations throughout the remainder of the year, these improvements will have limited impact on the guest experience. Final renovation activities include meeting room upgrades, enhancements to the Lobby Lounge and new furniture in the guest rooms.

We appreciate your patience as we’ve been going through these changes.

Stefan Huber
Inn and Spa at Loretto
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

As in the title, did not stay at the hotel, but attended a conference there and spent equivalent amount of time as an overnight stay for each day. Also, ate multiple meals at the restaurant there. Hotel staff very courteous and friendly.

The restaurant is my rave for you. The staff were very friendly and accomodating- they took care of me after a long day's traveling. I acutally was introduced to the head chef there, Mr. Brian Cooper and he was more than willing to cater to some individual requests- as well as the jovial barkeep, "Husky". Kara and others on the management staff (one of whom is the wife of the head chef) impressed me not only in personalizing their service with me, but in how they treated the staff under them-as humans.

This hotel, in some places, I understand has recently undergone some rennovations- I found it overall pleasant and relaxing in it's atmosphere. From my exposure to the facilities, it was neat and clean.

The food is superb- this complement does not come lightly from me, as I have travelled quite a bit around the world. The chef, puts his creative soul into his work and it shows! I can recommend the lamb and bone-in cowboy ribeye steak (both of which are thick, as they should be)- and some of the best homemade guacamole that I have ever eaten (also the salsa!). All the ingredients are fresh. Kudos in "multiple dimensions" to this fine hotel, especially the restaurant staff.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

We booked the Inn at Loretto for our wedding despite some terrible reviews on this and other travel sites. Please - IGNORE those reviews!!! The hotel is wonderful - it has recently changed management and the new owners and staff are committed to rebuilding the five-star reputation of this lovely property. Absolutely everything at our wedding was extraordinary - from the food to the service to the extras the staff threw in and to the amazing effort they went to recover a bracelet that broke during the reception. The wedding planner, Cherie Jacobs, in particular deserves high praise, but absolutely every hotel staffer we encountered during nearly a week at the Loretto was the epitome of charm and good service. It is true they are still working on certain areas of the hotel to repair and renew it - but that seemed mostly accomplished. We HIGHLY recommend this charming hotel for a wedding, for wedding anniversaries to come, or for any special occasion in wonderful Santa Fe!

• Liked — The charming aesthetic (architecture, decor) and great service
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was wonderful.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!