“I will never stay here again, and let everyone I know not to as well!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inn and Spa at Loretto

Save Saved
You added Inn and Spa at Loretto to your Saves list
Inn and Spa at Loretto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
“I will never stay here again, and let everyone I know not to as well!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I must admit I read at lot of hit and miss reviews about this hotel, but the location is great and I found a really great deal on luxury link that included two nights, free valet daily, taxes and fees, $50 for breakfast each morning, and $100 for the hotel restaurant Luminaria, which was very highly rated (ill get to that experience later), all for under $500! Sounded like a great deal to enjoy a romantic getaway for our anniversary! However...it was so disappointing. We got here early, about 1:30 pm and our room was not ready so we did a pre-check-in. The girl who checked us in was rude and didn't go over anything with us about the hotel. After 3 we came back and the same girl walked away when she saw me and had another girl check is in. As we take the elevator up to our room (we are staying on the 3rd floor), the elevator stops off at the 2nd floor and we see a sign that says excuse our mess. This is the first we know about any construction or renovations going on. When we get off on our floor there is no sign, so we assume maybe its just on the 2nd floor....WRONG! We learned at 6:30 am that they start construction and it doesn't end till about 7 pm. So much for sleeping in! The walls are paper thin too, so you can hear your neighbors, especially in the bathroom, and they are shared balconies, not very romantic or safe in my opinion. Also, during check-in they didn't go over our package with us or let us know how our credits should be used so we tried to contact the concierge several times and they were never available, so we went back to the lovely front desk and this time spoke with Cliff.
He was much nicer, seemed to be rushed and frustrated, but for the most part explained everything to us. The valet guys were pretty quick and they were friendly too. On the next night after a long hike at Atalaya Mountain (which I recommend) we were looking forward to our romantic dinner at Luminaria, make reservations early as they book quickly. We get there almost spot on for our reservation time, and sit and wait for our waiter for 15 min. He finally comes by introduces himself and offers us complimentary champagne, which we thought was a nice gesture. We don't see him again for another 10-15 min. When he comes again we let him know we have two different menus, mine was wrong of course so couldn't order the app I wanted. He takes our order finally after being there over 30 min and then tells us it'll be a while so ill send some bread. A nice younger gentleman brings us water and bread. And he frequents our table every 5-10 min to refill our water and make sure we are doing okay. Another 15-20 min go by till we get our apps, brought by the manager with our waiter no where to be seen. My shrimp and chorizo banquette was amazing and the only good thing about my meal. When we are almost done our waiter comes by and asks how everything is, a little late don't you think!!!!!! Then 10 min later comes our entrees brought out by another staff member...they are not hot, plate is cold, food warm at best. Our waiter comes by shortly after and we ask about our side that we were missing. He comes back 5 min later slammed it on the table and leaves. Never once asking if we were okay, how the food was, if we'd like wine, ect. The side which was potatoes was ice cold and nothing like he described it! I got the boneless short ribs, which was more
a play on a stew. Nothing was seasoned, the carrots were undercooked, the grits were chunky and cold. My husbands lamb was nicely cooked but had no seasoning, and the lamb pieces were mostly bone with little meat and hard to cut off the bone. Again, our waiter comes by as our meals were done and asks if we are done. He asks he we would like the dessert menu, which we oblige. However he passes by us 5 more times before coming by to take our dessert order, which we could not do cause he still hadn't brought us menus. He finally brings menus and we are just disgusted at that point and opt for the check. This is the quickest we've seen our waiter and now he tries to carry conversation with us, assuming he would like a big tip! Well the damage was done a long time ago! After asking for a pen, we sign the bill and leave as quickly as possible feeling cheated and disgusted by the whole experience. What was supposed to be a romantic night and feel like we are being well taken care of, it was terrible, we just felt like after thoughts the whole night. Then again we get waken up the next morning right at 6:30 am by construction, so we decide we'd rather just check out. The service in this hotel is just absolutely horrendous! My husband and I have never had such a bad hotel experience. The best part about our trip was not being in the hotel and eating/drinking at other local dives and restaurants. I recommend the off season if you don't like crowds, but I definitely don't recommend this hotel, or the hotel restaurant, definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed April 2013

799 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I visited the Inn at Loretto for the first time yesterday because I was conducting a seminar for a large NM group. I have to admit, I'm a very picky person when it comes to the setting for my presentations....my reputation is often linked with the total conference "experience". I tell you that, from start to finish, the professional service at this hotel was flawless! I spend a lot of time at a lot of hotels and I assure you that this was one of the smoothest, most pleasant of all. The charm of the property is unparalleled and the staff is so attentive as to be surreal. As an example, I commented at lunch how I thought the tamales were the best I'd ever eaten. The next thing I know, I get a TO GO box with 6 tamales! They would not even accept a tip. The meeting room was comfortable, beautiful and private. The AV equipment up to date and the program staff were friendly, attentive, and unobtrusive. The whole experience makes me wish all the hotels I visit were as top notch as this one. I will surely recommend the Inn at Loretto to my guests, my clients and my friends. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We appreciate the time you took to write this wonderful review of The Inn and Spa at Loretto. We take pride in our high guest satisfaction rate and are very pleased that you enjoyed your conference and received the level of service we strive for. My team and I thank you for mentioning your gratification of our meeting rooms, the AV equipment, and staff. I will be certain to share this excellent feedback with the entire team.

We are pleased that you’ll recommend our hotel to your guests, clients, and friends. Word of mouth is the best advertisement we could ask for. Thank you again.

Sheri Decker
Leawood, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Although it's one of the older hotels in Santa Fe, the location is terrific - just a block or two from the square. We were there in the off season (April), some construction/updating annoyed one of our friends. The hotel needs some updating - no storage in the rooms or bathroom and the towels looks like they were original to the hotel. When we asked desperately to buy stamps at the front desk, we were told they had none (but hey, why not OFFER to mail two letters for a guest?). Luminiaria Cafe was wonderful, recommend the breakfast burrito. The spa was adequate, small and the massage tables were not heated. Ok, I'm spoiled. But it's a great taste of traditional New Mexico hospitality.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a junior suite.
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was recommended by a friend several years ago. Have stayed here a number of times and always stay here when we go to Santa Fe. The rooms are comfortable and roomy and the balconies have great views. Great location near the Plaza.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grandville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Inn and Spa at Loretto is an amazing hotel! It is full of mystery and history! This beautiful hotel has many corners of unique shops and wonderful things to see and be a part of. The living room is warm and inviting! The service that I received from Aimee was impeccable! A complimentary order of chips and homemade salsa from Marilyn was a sweet surprise. The Luminaira Restaurant is also unbelievable! I highly recommend the pasta and this is when I tried my first chocolate covered bacon Amazing! I couldn't ask for nicer people at the front desk. I was greeted with kindness and smiles. The room is wonderful! The bed very comfy, and the warm tone colors made for a very relaxing stay. I loved the Loretto Line Tour Trolley! It is a great way to see the city and I have added more things to see for when I return on my next visit to Santa Fe. Beautiful Hotel! Wonderful City!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

What a great place to have a business meeting! Easily accommodated a group of 80+ wildlife biologists. The service was impeccable. The hotel is lovely - especially if you appreciate staying in a place that has all the luxury provided by a "chain" - but none of the mundane sameness. This place has charm. The bed in my room was probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in - which, as the meeting organizer, I REALLY appreciated. The staff was so courteous and responsive to all our needs - everything was seamless. The food was delicious - both in the restaurant and our catered meeting breakfasts, lunch and dinner. The location is perfect - our group really appreciated being near so many great shops, galleries, and restaurants - an easy walk to the Plaza. Highly recommended, would stay here again every time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review. We take pride in our high guest satisfaction rate and are very pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Inn and Spa at Loretto. We appreciate you mentioning your satisfaction with our guestrooms, the restaurant, and staff. I will be certain to share this excellent feedback with the entire team.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future..

Sheri Decker
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with a few gal pals. The hotel was very nice and in a great location, within easy walking distance to all the Plaza shops and restaurants. The rooms were very comfortable and included a sitting area with a nice chair and sofa. I would definitely enjoy staying here again sometime.

Room Tip: Some rooms have small balconies, some do not.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!