“fabulous location, small rooms” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“fabulous location, small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

the best location in Santa Fe! Rooms are small, balcony availability is very exaggerated, but staff is welcoming. The lounge is fun in the evening. Be sure to check the operating hours of any place you plan to visit.
Restaurant and spa are both top notch. The Eggs Benedict are terrific.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I appreciate your generous review regarding The Inn and Spa at Loretto located in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I apologize for the rooms not meeting your expectations, but thank you for mentioning our staff, Luminaria Restaurant, and The Spa at Loretto.

Please stay with us again during your next trip to Santa Fe and be sure to dine in Luminaria for lunch or dinner. Chef Brett Sparman is guaranteed to impress you again.

Sheri Decker

798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Manitou Springs, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A friend who'd lived in Santa Fe told me this was her favorite hotel. It's gorgeous. When you pull your car up to the check-in, the adobe facade gives that wow you're looking for when you go to a high-end resort.

We bought a Living Social, which gave us a tremendous deal for a couple of days. ($110/night, before all the add-ons, which are many.) We had a great time, but there were a few issues.

When I had booked, the hotel rep told us the superior king would have sleeping for three. (We had our 16-year-old with us.) It didn't even have an over-sized living room chair. They were fine about changing our room to a queen.

One of the problems I have with the hotel is, considering it's size, the lack of meaningful common areas. A strip of galleries and shops, for instance, is nice, but I'd enjoy them as much if they were near the hotel and not in it. I want spaces where I can interact with other guests.

The pool might be that kind of place. And the pool is open from sunrise to midnight, which is rare. Unfortunately, during our visit in March, it was too cold to really enjoy the pool, and nobody hung out there. I was surprised to hear that there is not hot tub. Even the world-class spa here lacks the option of just paying a fee to hang out in a hot tub. It's treatments only.

Another issue we faced was major construction. Hammering and power tools were in operation throughout our stay in a room very close to ours. Fortunately, a guest services person told us that we could bring a bottle of wine and our computers to the lobby bar (nicely named The Living Room), though we did get hassled by a waiter who hadn't gotten the word.

Lastly, I hate valet-only parking. I tip well whenever I get my car. When we decided we wanted to go to Canyon Road galleries, the valet gave us directions but didn't make it clear this was just a couple of blocks away and silly to drive. (I think he just wanted that extra tip!)

Oh, and the room was a bit dusty.

But although some of these gripes might suggest serious problems, I should make it clear that, overall, my friend was right. This is a fabulous property. The rooms are lovely. The shared balconies splended (though ours lacked much of a view.) The fitness center well-equipped. And the staff was generally friendly and professional.

Room Tip: As for rooms far from the construction.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I had been to Santa Fe several years ago and stayed right on the Plaza We wanted to try another hotel but still be close to the historical downtown. Family recommended the Inn and Spa at Loretto. Everyone from the Valet staff to the Housekeeping staff could not have been more accommodating. We decided to eat in the Lobby Bar our first night and both had incredible dishes. We enjoyed the food so much we ended up eating dinner in the main dining room the next night and our final night back at the Lobby Bar. The wait staff at every meal were all attentive to our needs. Our food was outstanding and presentation beautiful. We will definitely pass on excellent reviews to our family and friends. Can't wait to return to the Inn and to Luminaria.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Loved this hotel. The rooms were really lovely - with big squishy down beds, a cool little patio, and nice bathrooms. Great location if you want to be near the Historical Plaza. I wish we could have stayed longer or tried out the spa or restaurants. It was actually a little pricier than we would normally do for just one night, but for the value we found on hotels.com, it was a great value.

Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We arrived and my whole family felt so welcome. Valet was so nice and they were very helpful. Walking in the hotel you get a good feeling of Santa Fe, I have read some reviews on here and people need to understand that this hotel isn't brand=new and if that's what they are looking for, then go somewhere else. The inn and spa SCREAMS true Santa Fe. The Front desk workers were so Knowledgeable, Brooke, who works the front desk was super friendly and very fast at checking us in. She even helped make reservations for us. Jennifer was working with her and they both were amazing! You can definitely tell that the workers there were (family) Going to our room , when we first walked in it was beautiful and we got the same feeling as we did walking into the hotel. SANTA FE... The colors made it seem so cozy and unlike white-walled hotels we didn't feel like we were in a hospital. The workers at the front desk pointed out all the GOOD places eat on a map so we had an amazing day walking around looking at all the shops. The Housekeepers were very on point and the whole staff at the luminaria were on point. Everyone seemed like they loved their job and knew what they were doing, I,100% will come back and tell my friends about it

San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The staff and dinning at the Loretto Inn and Spa were the greatest. I would recomend this to anyone visiting the Santa Fe area. It is located downtown near many sights within walking distance. It has very comfortable rooms and great staff, shops and small cafe in the inn. It would be the number one place for me to stay when I visit Santa Fe again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheri D, General Manager at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your patronage of The Inn and Spa at Loretto. Our team takes great pride in providing a memorable experience for our guests, we are genuinely appreciative of your positive feedback regarding our staff, Luminaria Restaurant, and our location. Thank you again for taking the time to write this fantastic review.

Please feel free to contact me upon your next visit to Santa Fe, New Mexico, I would enjoy the opportunity to meet you.

Sheri Decker
Boerne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Inn is beautiful, the staff are helpful, the location is great. The room was fabulous, who cares if the candles are not what they expected lol.They still lit (they were little bottles of oil with wax covers) and the hotel even supplied the matches. The bathroom was a 1940s dream - black and white tile with lots of chrome. I don't know when the hotel was built, but it has been redone and still shows its age in the AC/heating ducts - a lot of dust came through. We didn't try the restaurant, we walked to one the concierge told us about and it was perfect. We didn't expect the required Valet parking so I was a little disconcerted about that. The front desk upgraded our room. The bed was wonderful. The area was wonderful. Shopping and restaurants nearby made me wish we had more time. The Loretto Chapel is actually next door which was nice. Two things knocked my rating down from 4 to a 3. First, the AC/Heating ducts. There was a lot of dust coming out of the ducts when the fan was blowing. Second, there was a message on my phone telling me to contact the front desk. When I did, I was told that my credit card had been declined and that I needed to take care of that. After panicking and calling American Express we found out that the front desk had not even swiped the card. The person I spoke to had just assumed the card had been declined. If you have ever had that happen you know it can cause you a few minutes of panic!

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor, with a balcony over the pool. The large shared balcony actually had a b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!