“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oklahoma
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a really nice boutique hotel just a few blocks from the square. Right next door to the famous Loretto Chapel with the mystery staircase. The rooms are large but the bathrooms are a little on the small side but entirely adequate. They have a nice lounge area with comfortable seating and good entertainment on weekends.
The restaurant is really good but pricey. We got a great deal of 109.00 per night on a Living Social deal but another couple did not. However they were able to get a rate of 159.00 per night with a 50.00 per day credit to be used at the spa, restaurant, bar, or in room service so they came out well also. All in all I would stay here again if I could get the great rate.
We were disappointed that they did not have any fireplaces outside lit because of the time of year but we all felt we would have been happy to sit outside if they would have provided us with some warmth. The weather was actually quite nice, just a little crisp.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a corner room with the large patio. We were lucky enough to get one but the other...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dennis M, Director of Operations at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Inn and Spa at Loretto on TripAdvisor. This city truly is amazing and we are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Santa Fe. I appreciate your comments regarding our location, rooms, and restaurant. Also, I thank you for mentioning our Living Social deal and Signature Package. I am thrilled you will return. Please feel free to contact me upon your next arrival.

Dennis Marcinik
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I visited this hôtel as I made my way across the USA last month. It was recommended by my travel agent. I have visited many hotels across the world through years of travelling for business and pleasure but I can honestly say that I have never had a more negative experience.
However here are the positives- central position within Santa Fe, comfortable bed, cleanliness of the rooms.
The negatives are so numerous that I find it hard to write this review. Rather than go into all the details which could lead to a very lenghty epistle I'll focus on the main factors.
When you pay the costs of a hotel like the Inn you expect a certain standard of accommodation and staffing within the hotel as well as setting. While the hotel certainly delivered in terms of setting it failed to do so in all other aspects.
The room in which I stayed was like the Black Hole of Calcutta for most of the day. Luckily there was a patio which allowed me to receive some sunlight during my stay. The air conditioning sounded like an large aircraft coming into land, which was not conducive to sleeping. Since you are charged $14 dollars PER DAY for incidentals as a matter of course I would have expected that water in the room would have been free but this is not the case. It would have been paid for separately. ( I know this because another guest fell into this trap). The bathroom was clean but its decor was tired to say the least.
Staffing - surly, unhelpful, disinterested, ... I could go on but I am sure that I have said enough. The only thing that I can say in their favour is that many of the guests were having the same experience as myself. Checking should have given me an indicator of what was to come: young couple still waiting for their room 4 hours after they had arrived, another guest having a "discussion" with two receptionist over the number of rooms booked, an elderly couple trying to get their room changed with no success. Things could only have gotten better but they didn't.
In my opinion this is a hotel trying to be a something that it is not - a first class hotel. I would like to have said that there is potential but unless there is a huge turnaround here there is not.
In addition I find a hotel that automatically charges their guests $14 everyday for incidentals is quite unacceptable. In all my years of travel I have never had this experience anywhere else in the world.

Room Tip: Don't book one here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The service at the bar was very kind, and the hotel offers valet parking. If you have been to Santa Fe you know parking can be a pain in the rear. Did not stay at the Inn, but enjoyed the bar a couple of nights for a night cap and appetizers. The food wsa good - even the duck tacos. Now from Texas and finding a Texas vodka (Titos) in NM was great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
North Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed six nights at the Inn and Spa at Loretto and have mixed feelings about this hotel. First the good:

the hotel is blessed with extremely friendly staff - from the front desk to the doormen to the people in the Lumanaria restaurant

location is excellent -- just two easy blocks from the main square and next to Loretto Chapel (an historic site) and and a craft market

nicely decorated, clean rooms and dependable housekeeping. Except for paper and pen, everything that needed to be was replaced each day (coffee, tea, bathroom amenities).

very comfortable bed - one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. Its very “squishy” and you just sink into it. Someone who likes a hard mattress might not like this style

lovely linens.bed linens are changed every third day, towels every day if you wish.

I should know better than to use the phone in the room. Local calls (area 505) are listed as free, but I was charged $6 to a 505 area code.

And the not-so good:
I was in room 437 which was a fairly basic room for this hotel-- no kiva fireplace, no balcony, only a small window. There was an easy chair and ottoman and a desk. The heating fan is very loud and I had to turn it off at night in order to sleep. The closet was shoehorned into the bathroom and you had to keep the bathroom door closed to access it. Accept a room like this only if you get a good discount.

for such a dry area as Santa Fe- no complimentary bottled water is supplied in the room. There are bottles, labeled $5 available.

apparently,you have to ask specifically for the key to the mini-bar. I was never offered that key at check-in

breakfast is a la carte and its almost impossible to get away with less than $20 for a standard “American” breakfast

I paid $235 for the room and thought it was overpriced for the basic accommodation I received. Other rooms I peeked into (a friend had 344) were larger and had ornamental fireplaces and balconies.

As for meals for the time I was with a group (was on an art tour) and we had a daily credit for breakfast in the Lumanaria Restaurant -- $18 which did not cover it completely. For all other meals and for breakfasts that weren’t included, I went across the street to the very friendly and accommodating Mangiano Pronto Restaurant. Thanks to good weather, I could sit in their patio shaded by trees and umbrellas. Very nice staff, quick service and a small but good menu. I particularly got to like their vegetable frittata for breakfast and their spinach and cheese ravioli for which you could add salmon or chicken for dinner. In all, I had 6 meals here and all were excellent and moderatey priced.

So this review is mixed. I think being assigned a more atmospheric room would have been a better experience. So ask to see a few rooms and choose carefully.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms before accepting one. Room 437 was overpriced for what I received.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our first trip to Santa Fe New Mexico was four years ago and we stayed at the Fido-friendly Inn and Spa at Loretto. Traveling back with an additional dog as part of the family did not disappoint. We had a guest suite with shared patio where the dogs could meander around and take a peak over the balcony should curiosity get the best of them. Dog beds and bowls are available to use and a nice doggy treat is presented upon check in. Creature comforts aside I must say our room was lovely and the bed slept great. Lots of room to spread out with desk and two chairs and footstool in front of the faux fireplace. The candles lit by a small kerosene lamp was a nice touch. As you would expect in Santa Fe, the walls in our room are very colorful and soothing. This is a beautiful hotel with works of art appreciated in the hallway leading to the dining area. Great entertainment on the weekend and right in the heart of Santa Fe, the Inn and Spa at Loretto is now our home away from home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in early October. It is very centrally located in the city of Santa Fe. The rooms were very nice although I did not like the fact that the closet was located in the bathroom - inconvenient when there is more than one person staying in the room. In addition, there was not a mirror in the main bedroom area - only in the bathroom. The spa was very nice as well. Other than that, my stay was wonderful and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dennis M, Director of Operations at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding the Inn and Spa at Loretto, we appreciate the time and consideration you put into this review. Our priority is to provide our guests with the very best in service before, during, and after their stay. With that said, I apologize for the concerns you shared. I certainly hope that the positive elements you encountered will ensure a return visit.

Please feel free to contact me when planning your next visit to Santa Fe.

Dennis Marcinik
Director of Operations
SEATTLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very comfortable place for a small conference. Great location, everyone helpful.
Towels - not too soft and no real cream for coffee in the AM.
Low lighting seemed to be an issue in conference and room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!