“Great Service & Valet Parking” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   211 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Service & Valet Parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The service at the bar was very kind, and the hotel offers valet parking. If you have been to Santa Fe you know parking can be a pain in the rear. Did not stay at the Inn, but enjoyed the bar a couple of nights for a night cap and appetizers. The food wsa good - even the duck tacos. Now from Texas and finding a Texas vodka (Titos) in NM was great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
North Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed six nights at the Inn and Spa at Loretto and have mixed feelings about this hotel. First the good:

the hotel is blessed with extremely friendly staff - from the front desk to the doormen to the people in the Lumanaria restaurant

location is excellent -- just two easy blocks from the main square and next to Loretto Chapel (an historic site) and and a craft market

nicely decorated, clean rooms and dependable housekeeping. Except for paper and pen, everything that needed to be was replaced each day (coffee, tea, bathroom amenities).

very comfortable bed - one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. Its very “squishy” and you just sink into it. Someone who likes a hard mattress might not like this style

lovely linens.bed linens are changed every third day, towels every day if you wish.

I should know better than to use the phone in the room. Local calls (area 505) are listed as free, but I was charged $6 to a 505 area code.

And the not-so good:
I was in room 437 which was a fairly basic room for this hotel-- no kiva fireplace, no balcony, only a small window. There was an easy chair and ottoman and a desk. The heating fan is very loud and I had to turn it off at night in order to sleep. The closet was shoehorned into the bathroom and you had to keep the bathroom door closed to access it. Accept a room like this only if you get a good discount.

for such a dry area as Santa Fe- no complimentary bottled water is supplied in the room. There are bottles, labeled $5 available.

apparently,you have to ask specifically for the key to the mini-bar. I was never offered that key at check-in

breakfast is a la carte and its almost impossible to get away with less than $20 for a standard “American” breakfast

I paid $235 for the room and thought it was overpriced for the basic accommodation I received. Other rooms I peeked into (a friend had 344) were larger and had ornamental fireplaces and balconies.

As for meals for the time I was with a group (was on an art tour) and we had a daily credit for breakfast in the Lumanaria Restaurant -- $18 which did not cover it completely. For all other meals and for breakfasts that weren’t included, I went across the street to the very friendly and accommodating Mangiano Pronto Restaurant. Thanks to good weather, I could sit in their patio shaded by trees and umbrellas. Very nice staff, quick service and a small but good menu. I particularly got to like their vegetable frittata for breakfast and their spinach and cheese ravioli for which you could add salmon or chicken for dinner. In all, I had 6 meals here and all were excellent and moderatey priced.

So this review is mixed. I think being assigned a more atmospheric room would have been a better experience. So ask to see a few rooms and choose carefully.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms before accepting one. Room 437 was overpriced for what I received.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our first trip to Santa Fe New Mexico was four years ago and we stayed at the Fido-friendly Inn and Spa at Loretto. Traveling back with an additional dog as part of the family did not disappoint. We had a guest suite with shared patio where the dogs could meander around and take a peak over the balcony should curiosity get the best of them. Dog beds and bowls are available to use and a nice doggy treat is presented upon check in. Creature comforts aside I must say our room was lovely and the bed slept great. Lots of room to spread out with desk and two chairs and footstool in front of the faux fireplace. The candles lit by a small kerosene lamp was a nice touch. As you would expect in Santa Fe, the walls in our room are very colorful and soothing. This is a beautiful hotel with works of art appreciated in the hallway leading to the dining area. Great entertainment on the weekend and right in the heart of Santa Fe, the Inn and Spa at Loretto is now our home away from home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in early October. It is very centrally located in the city of Santa Fe. The rooms were very nice although I did not like the fact that the closet was located in the bathroom - inconvenient when there is more than one person staying in the room. In addition, there was not a mirror in the main bedroom area - only in the bathroom. The spa was very nice as well. Other than that, my stay was wonderful and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dennis M, Director of Operations at Inn and Spa at Loretto, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding the Inn and Spa at Loretto, we appreciate the time and consideration you put into this review. Our priority is to provide our guests with the very best in service before, during, and after their stay. With that said, I apologize for the concerns you shared. I certainly hope that the positive elements you encountered will ensure a return visit.

Please feel free to contact me when planning your next visit to Santa Fe.

Dennis Marcinik
Director of Operations
SEATTLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very comfortable place for a small conference. Great location, everyone helpful.
Towels - not too soft and no real cream for coffee in the AM.
Low lighting seemed to be an issue in conference and room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I'm often hesitant to put too much stock in overly negative reviews, thinking that the person may have had a one-off bias. That being said, I am very disappointed in this case that I cancelled my reservation with another hotel in the area (which had complimentary homemade hot breakfast, and an evening wine reception) and spent a very long four nights here in the deluxe king room. I really should have listened to the other negative reviews!

Service - I'll start off with a positive, because the people I dealt with at the front desk and valet were very kind and accommodating.There was a definite lack of energy, and so I can see where the other negative reviews in this aspect may have been coming from, however my personal experience was quite good. My one service request was met extremely quickly even though the hotel was fully booked (even though as you'll read below, unfortunately did not actually fix the problem).

Bed - Of all of the traveling I've done (including much of europe, and a few African countries), these were the most uncomfortable beds / pillows I have ever experienced anywhere. I did not get a single good night's sleep because of the pains in my neck and shoulder, which I have never experienced before! I did try a massage downstairs (at huge expense of course) but it has not helped. I am not alone in this, and have talked to two other people with similar opinions.

Noise - the heater / AC was so loud that we had to turn it off during the very cold evenings. It sounded like a freight train, and woke us up continually throughout the first night.

Room condition - Signs of wear, and extremely dark. No lights near the full length mirror in the area where you would typically get ready. Bathtub would not seal, even after maintenance had a look. I had difficulty believing the television was 42"? It looked so small up on the wall above the non-functional fireplace. The patio was the saddest excuse for a patio that I've been charged for...you couldn't actually open the door and step outside without significant effort. It could fit two small people at best, although i'm not sure how they'd get the door open if they were both outside at the same time. Either way, we couldn't use it. This was one of the main reasons that I had switched our booking to this hotel, and it was another absolute disappointment. We had a corner patio, and looking outside it would appear that some rooms do in fact have quite nice patios. Be sure to call and find out.

Restaurant - the food was delicious, service good. Breakfast was overpriced, but I am likely still sore about having missed out on the highly recommended (complimentary) breakfast in the hotel that I had cancelled. A bit of a sore point that free coffee is advertised in the mornings, and is located a few feet away from the dinner tables, and yet my family was spending $10 a meal because we were choosing to eat at the restaurant. As part of the price of my room, it was to come with "continental breakfast for two", however the fine print shows that this is actually only a 25$ room credit, and the continental breakfast is $15 each. Although a few dollars is certainly not an issue, it's the principle!

Spa - as mentioned above, the women working in the spa were fantastic. I had multiple services, and was pleased with all of them, with the exception of my nails. Unfortunately they look shockingly terrible, and I will have to remove the polish and even the shape once I get home. Extremely disappointing for a $120 pedi/mani, which didnt even involve a foot or hand massage! I should have really said something, but the girl was so sweet (and at the end of multiple hours of treatment I was exhausted). My warning would be to make sure you get what you pay for and not just grin and bare it like I did...

Pool - Standard motel pool, certainly didn't have any particularly inviting feel or atmosphere.

Location - fantastic! Saving grace, along with the smiling valet people as we left the building.

Wifi - great, no issues in room or elsewhere in the hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The "living room" has such a great feeling to it with cosy chairs, tables and the large fireplace. Matthew Andrae's singing is wonderful. Such a creat place to wander in and enjoy, even if you are not staying here. Our waitress was so pleasant. It was the perfect ending to our girls weekend.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing The Living Room located at the Inn and Spa at Loretto. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the ambiance, service, and of course Matthew Andrae. He is truly wonderful. We strive to provide a unique experience for all our guests and it brings us great pride that we accomplished this for you and your friends. We look forward to your return.

Dennis Marcinik
Director of Operations

Been to Inn and Spa at Loretto? Share your experiences!