“No Wireless??” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Los Angeles, California
“No Wireless??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here three years ago and actually did remote work online from my hotel room on a business trip. Had a very pleasant stay.

Three years later I'm back and there was no wireless information in my room. I tried to call the front desk twice. No answer either time. I walked down to the front desk and the woman there told me the hotel did not provide wireless service. I told her I had used wireless in my hotel room three years ago. She said she had been there a year and a half and the hotel had never provided wireless as long as she's been there. She added that the motel had been "taking a lot of features out of the rooms." What? Even Motel 6 has wireless these days.

An hour later I brought up my iPhone to try to get work done on a 4G network. "La Quinta Wireless" popped up. What the heck? Did they have wireless or not? Either La Quinta Santa Fe is not providing access codes to their laptop customers or the front desk was not honest with me. Either way, Motel 6 had them beat which is baffling. My husband and I are La Quinta members and predisposed to like this chain as being friendly to business travelers.

My memory of this hotel will always be me struggling to type out letters on my iPhone because I could not get wireless service in my room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is an average La Quinta and quite reasonable for Santa Fe. The room was very clean and comfortable. And we certainly felt safe here -- right next to the main mall of Santa Fe.

But you're on the outskirts of Santa Fe here in an "Anytown USA" collection of chain restaurants and stores. It was a 20-25 minute drive into the downtown plaza area and Canyon Road where all the things that are really unique to Santa Fe are. That's really my biggest knock against the place. When I visit Santa Fe, I want to be in something that feels uniquely Santa Fe, not some nondescript collection of stores that was an open field 30 years ago.
But obviously, it's much cheaper to stay here than downtown, so you get the experience you pay for, I suppose.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Good place to stay that meets the expectations I have of La Quinta. At a good rate ( for Santa Fe) of $59, we got a nice clean, pre-warmed room to check into on a chilly evening. Quiet and uneventful stay with a nice standard La Quinta breakfast. We were warmly greeted and received excellent service from a young woman named Miss Quinones. She was there at the desk when we checked in and again at breakfast, at which time she was cheerfully stocking the breakfast buffet and chatting with guests. It made for a nice start of our New Mexico junket.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Scottsbluff, Nebraska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Santa Fe can be an expensive place to stay but LaQuinta was a great value. The room was clean and comfortable. And it's always a plus when our dogs stay for free. It's in a good location, close to restaurants offering a wide variety of choices. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed three nights at La Quinta, around New Year's. I brought two dogs. They charged different amounts for different nights, averaging around $70. The room was clean and had two beds, which took up a lot of the space. I had had to book at the last minute when the hotel I had booked through Expedia turned out to have a no pet policy. Advice: don't believe Expedia about pet policies! I stayed on the second floor, and there was an elevator. The room was quiet and comfortable, but there was no refrigerator or microwave, which made a three day stay more difficult. The breakfast was basic, but they have an arrangement with the "Flying Tortilla" next door for a 10% discount on meals, and that place is great! I would stay here again. The only down side is that it's very far down Cerrillos from Santa Fe.

Room Tip: There are three floors and an elevator. Some sections are farther from the road (Cerrillos) than ot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We like La Quinta because they don't charge extra for dogs. Their rooms are clean and large--large enough that I, my husband, and our two dogs can maneuver around each other with a minimum of inconvenience. That said, we've stayed in better La Quintas.

No fees and large rooms aside, this is not a truly “dog-friendly” hotel. There is no good place to walk your dog, no good place to let them go to the bathroom. The hotel sits at the edge of a mall parking lot; the few non-paved places are either rocky or rife with thorns. We stayed here 2 nights. Each time we took our dogs out, they got thorns in their paws. Not fun for us, trying to pull out the thorns without hurting our fingers. Far less fun for our dogs.

The room, while basically fine, nonetheless gave off a mild “ick” vibe. I can’t put my finger on anything in particular to support this other than, despite the flat-screen TV, the place felt outdated, like a house that had been quickly and cheaply flipped prior to being put on the market. The mattress was mid-firm and comfortable enough (we like a very firm bed); the linens and the bathroom were clean; the towels were not exactly soft but soft enough; everything was bright enough. But the carpet was old looking, the shower curtain wasn’t curved, and the bathroom counter was chipped or discolored in places. Perhaps I should not use the Flagstaff (AZ) La Quinta as the baseline, but I do. The Flagstaff LQ has the feeling of a new (or at least updated) apartment complex that caters to its residents. Santa Fe’s LQ felt like it was mildly happy we were there, but could frankly do without us.

I can’t say anything one way or another about the breakfast. I have celiac disease; free waffles and muffins and cold cereals are no bargain when you can’t digest them.

This was not an awful hotel by any means. Room size and cleanliness alone put it far above many other pet-friendly places we’ve stayed. But--especially because of the thorns in our dogs’ paws--the Santa Fe LQ is just enough off-kilter that we will explore other options for our next visit. We may come back to La Quinta, or we may forgo rewards points and the lack of fees for something a little better on our dogs’ feet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Santa Fe? Share your experiences!