We (2 couples) decided to treat ourselves to 3 nights here whilst on our 2 week fly drive holiday. We were tempted by the claim of a luxurious hotel in a good location so we could explore Sante Fe. The location is excellent, just a few minutes walk from the centre, the room was very nice, the staff very friendly and helpful (mostly) and the grounds extensive with good facilities. We only had one breakfast there which was very good albeit a little pricy and the lovely bar was very welcome at the end of a day of sight seeing.
But our stay was marred by a series of simple things that should never have been:
There was no creamer for the coffee on arrival, both parties asked for it twice and still nothing happened. Only on the third time of asking were we given some. When I asked about this at check out I was told they already knew about this problem and we're trying to deal with it. How hard can it be?
The safe in one of the rooms was not working and we asked for it to be fixed – nothing happened.
One of the luggage racks was broken – does no one routinely check room facilities?
The cold water in the room came out hot, yes hot, and we had to run the tap for ages before it was cold but at least we could read a sign saying save water for the planet.
The lighting in the room was very dim; it may add to atmosphere but does not help when reading something.
You may think the room rate is reasonable but don't forget the room charges to be added, namely State tax, Occupancy tax, Resort Service fee, Miscellaneous Sales tax. I know taxes and fees were extra when we booked but it makes you think when these taxes come to an additional 36% of the room charge. We didn't experience that sort of extra anywhere else nor indeed in any other hotel in any other country we have visited, and we are very well traveled.
The door to the fridge cabinet fell off when opening.
The notepad was not refilled and remained empty during our stay.
Very limited space to hang our clothes – it seems style is more important than practicality.
On our last day the room make service did not arrive until 4.45pm just as we were returning from a day sightseeing. When we raised this we were told we should have requested an early room service. That would be our fault then!
None of the single problems is a major factor but added together and with the dismissive attitude of staff when raised suggests there is a significant lack of care, not something you would expect in a self proclaimed luxury hotel.
So our treat was good but spoilt by stunningly lackadaisical service and high extra charges. I'm sure the manager will come up with a corporate excuse for this but the point is they shouldn't have to in the first place. My other reviews for hotels on this trip have been very positive but this hotel manages to be good and hopeless at the same time but perhaps the word manage is the wrong one here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, is affiliated with Starwood Hotels and Resorts and participates in the SPG loyalty program. "The Art Hotel of Santa Fe", is a historic property and the only resort downtown. Nestled on six acres in the heart of Santa Fe, just steps from the historic Plaza and Canyon Road, La Posada is the ultimate destination for leisure and business travel with exquisite indoor and outdoor venues for groups, meetings, weddings, and social events. Discover a captivating blend of adobe-style architecture and local artwork, a year-round outdoor pool, exceptional spa, award-winning cuisine and genuine hospitality from our seasoned professionals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Starwood, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Posada De Santa Fe Hotel Santa Fe
- La Posada De Santa Fe Resort And Spa