“Other reviews in context” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Norman, Oklahoma
“Other reviews in context”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It seems that reviewers of La Posada either love it or hate it. Let me try to put these dichotomy of reviews in perspective.
If you like it, you do so for its charm, its history, it wide variety in terms of rooms, and its quirkiness. I like it for all these reasons.
If you dislike it, you will do so because it is unpredictable--both in terms of room quality and service. Although the rooms are gradually undergoing an upgrade, the shape and size of rooms vary greatly. Bathrooms can be roomy or small. Outside doors can be leaky or tight. Sitting rooms that are apart from bedrooms can be awkwardly sized and shaped. Nothing can be done about these peculiarities except to tear the place down and start over, which would ruin its charm and history. Due to its layout, the free Wi-Fi is spotty.
If you are expecting great service, you will likely be disappointed. The hotel is under new management, and the new management team has a lot to learn. Some staff are friendly and helpful. Some staff are downright rude. Special room requests (which are common due to repeat customers who prefer a particular room) often seemed to be ignored or lost. One couple recently stayed there and changed rooms three times (the first one was still undergoing upgrades and was thus not ready for occupancy, the second had no heat, and the third, which they kept, was in need of upgrading, e.g., the mattress was bow-shaped so the couple was forced to sleep close to one another in the middle of the bed, which might be just what some couples want! Another couple had specially requested the same room that they have enjoyed year after year, but the staff, who knew of the request, did not inform the couple in advance that the room would not be available due to remodeling. Our room was so recently upgraded that some of the new furniture was still stacked in the room, awaiting placement. We requested a humidifier (a good idea in Sana Fe in the winter), but the person who delivered it did not seem to realize that that she plugged it into a switched outlet. When we called to advise that the humidifier was not working, she brought a second. It did not work until we discovered the problem ourselves. When we checked out after our stay, the valet gave us the wrong car! Because we had rented a car, I almost did not catch the error. The restaurant will undergo a major redo. It used to be excellent. The dinner we had in early January was mediocre. I am hopeful that the restaurant will return to its old standard of quality. Try the homemade granola for breakfast--it is the best granola ever!
Hopefully the new management will strive to improve service over current practices.
In conclusion, the best way to describe La Posada is that it is charming. I like it for this reason even though I am generally a creature of habit when it comes to hotels. Generally, when it comes to hotels, I don't like surprises--good or bad--as I travel mostly on business. But I like La Posada, even though it is full of surprises--both good and bad. And its location, not far from the historic plaza is hard to beat. It is within walking distance of almost everywhere you might want to go.
When in Santa Fe, be sure to go to Tia Sophias for breakfast. It is where the locals go. It is excellent.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
PaulEPoer, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your review. I think you are absolutely correct. The attraction of La Posada is history, romance, charm and a bit of quirkiness. Our guest room and public space renovations will largely be complete by the end of March and service upgrades are on-going. Regrettably we have turned over the majority of our front office staff and we have added two seasoned rooms executives to our team. We acknowledge the need to improve the consistency of our service but we are confident we've made significant improvements already across the board.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

pros: good location. Excellent restaurant/ service. Nice facilities.
Cons: very small room (think NY City). Lousy sound proofing from neighbors. Had to ask for hair dryer, replacement light bulb, repair of slow draining tub.

Bottom line: they are trying to be top notch but fall short.

Stayed January 2015
PaulEPoer, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
I apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit to La Posada. If you wouldn't mind contacting me at ppoer@ardenthotels.com it would be helpful to get your name and room number so we can follow up with the team members who serviced your room. Thank you.
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

My expectations were high before arriving at the property as I've been reading the reviews on the website. It's been about 13 years since I've been back to Santa Fe. I lived here for eight years prior to that. So this for me is a sort of the homecoming trip. Walking up to the property it was a frigid night but the sweet acrid smell of the pinion logs invoked many warm memories.
Pulling into the resort, you're immediately engulfed in what feels like the privacy and intimacy of being away from the busy plaza yet at the same time the comfort of knowing it's simply a short stroll down the street to where all the cultural and great shopping awaits.
As a lifetime platinum Starwood member, and a platinum preferred planner for hosting corporate events with Starwood, as well as 14 years in a row on platinum status I've stayed at some of the finest properties on the globe. There is a charm and a distinction about La Posada that is truly unlike any property in the Starwood fleet that I have yet encountered and experienced.
Rick the Valet greeted me. He had a warm personable smile and attitude. I've always felt that the first impression one ever has of the property is the valet experience.. it sets the tone. Rick set a very happy and welcoming tone. My travel companion forgot to bring the winter jacket, and at 10° crisp Santa Fe night and coming from sunny California, we appreciated that Rick was very helpful in guiding us to the local mall and letting us know what time the stores closed and where to go to get the best deal on a Winter jacket. Just a nice touch.

Once we got checked in I had the pleasure to meet the most thoughtful and conscientious and charismatic concierge I have ever met. Linda has been at the property even before it was a Starwood property. She's very knowledgeable about the history. She took us on a guided tour of the property and even told us about the ghost that supposedly haunts the hallways in the Victorian wing section. There are so many little Alcoves in the main building that can provide a hideaway and have intimacy and privacy. There's such a wonderful history about the original property as it several hundred years old. Linda was a wealth of knowledge and information, she gave us advice about the best restaurants, the best shopping, and she provided us with the Santa Fe restaurant guide, the "Santa Fe manual" which is a local's guide to living in Santa Fe and also the latest edition of the local news publication for Santa Fe. When I briefly mentioned it would be great to find a place for brunch on Sunday, without even requesting or asking, within half an hour she contacted me to let me know she got me into the best brunch in Santa Fe and actually made the effort to book the reservations for me at the Santa Café! That's what I call service!
She guided us to what was rated by GQ magazine as one of the top hamburgers in the country. Santa Fe bite, which used to be the bobcat bite. And because it was a cold evening, Jimmy one of the valet drivers, actually drove us down in the hotel shuttle and then picked us back up after we finished with dinner to bring us back to the property. And Linda was right, this was truly one of the best burgers I've ever had! I had the 16 ounce hamburger with cheddar cheese, bacon and local green chilies.
When we got back to the room, to my surprise and my delight there was an assortment of chocolates, graham crackers and marshmallows waiting by a beautiful fire. I've never stayed in a hotel with a working fireplace and a Smore's package! And there was also a bottle of wine and a bottle of hard cider. What an amazing welcoming to our amazing beautiful two bedroom suite.
I have to give props to Rick, he came by the room to help stoke the fire and taught us a quick Boy Scout 101 fire starter skills.

Truly every team member that we have met so far on this property has gone above and beyond to be personable, genuine, and it feels more like coming to somebody's house where you're greeted as a top houseguest then coming to a hotel as a patron. I didn't have a chance to meet Pauline in person, but every time I had a question or an inquiry she was readily available on the other line of the phone and her level of service was exceptional.
I'm not sure what more I can tell you, except that this is like being in an enchanted castle in an enchanted land and when you come and experience La Posada for yourself it will not be comparable to any other property that you've ever stayed at. The Adobe buildings, the southwestern furniture, and this overall feel that you somehow slipped back in time to the Old West and yet you have all of the conveniences and luxuries of a five star top level resort.
It's hard to believe that this is only our first night here, in fact I haven't even stayed the full night yet, I've experienced all this amazing hospitality within the first several hours of being here! I can't even wait to see what lies in store for the rest of the weekend! Special thanks once again to Pauline, Jimmy, Rick, Jim, and my very personal favorite Linda who really knows how to wow even a seasoned platinum member like myself!

• Stayed January 2015
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your visit to Santa Fe and La Posada. It will be our pleasure to share your appreciation with those team members responsible for such a memorable visit.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at this resort on business for four nights. I usually only stay at Marriott hotels, but this hotel was chosen for me by the company. That being said, I will definitely consider this hotel on future trips to Santa Fe.
The layout of this hotel is very unique, and I visited the rooms of some colleagues and no two rooms were the same. My room had a gas fireplace, and most of my colleagues had wood-burning fireplaces, which is unique for a hotel. The room was spacious and well-equipped. Keurig coffee machines in every room, as well as coffee, tea and hot chocolate all day available in the lobby. My room was carpeted, but not all of them are, so if you have preferences, I would make sure to let them know at check in.
The staff at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating. I asked for a microwave at check-in, and they had it to my room before I even got there! The concierge was very knowledgeable and recommended some great local restaurants in walking distance. It was cold, but I prefer to walk, which was a little exhausting due to the elevation. They also had a shuttle to take you around town, but I did not utilize this during my stay. The young lady at the restaurant was laso very friendly and helpful (I can't remember her name, possibly Desiree? but she was new and knew all the answers to my questions about the menu, Tres Leches with strawberry tequila sauce = AMAZING)
I only had a couple issues while I was there. When I arrived, my TV wasn't working. I called the front desk and Tamas in maintenance had it fixed in less than 5 minutes. Tamas was very nice and knowledgeable of the area. We chatted for a bit and he gave me some good recommendations for stuff to check out since it was my first visit to Santa Fe. The other issue I had was that the hot tub was more of a warm tub. Granted it was cold my entire stay and even snowed 3 or 4 inches, I still enjoy relaxing in a hot tub in the snow (common in Wisconsin where I was born and raised), but it just wasn't hot enough to do this.
My group ate breakfast at the hotel every day, and it was always very good. In fact, every time I dined here, it was always quite delicious. I wish I could get green chiles like that here in NC!
I did not use the spa facilities or workout room while I was there.
Overall, I would recommend La Posada for anyone. Whether you are travelling alone, as I was, or travelling as a family, they have rooms to accommodate. Between the rooms, the amenities, the staff and the location, this is a must-see when travelling to Santa Fe.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Mexico805, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
So glad you enjoyed your visit to Santa Fe and happy to hear our staff was so helpful. Yes, that Tres Leches is killer! We apologize for the "warm" tub. When you return be sure and use our complimentary shuttle service. It's an easy and convenient way to get around Santa Fe.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. The concierge was particularly nice. The ground and facilities are well maintained. The room I had was a little small and dark for the rack rate. A very pleasant lobby.

• Stayed October 2014
Mexico805, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I will certainly be pleased to pass on your acknowledgement of our concierge team. We agree. They do a great job.
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Dec19th-21, 2014
La Posada, nestled two blocks from historic downtown Santa Fe, had much to offer in the way hospitality and amenities though we did not partake of the spa features due to our short stay for a wedding.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the lobby beautifully decorated for Christmas, crackling fire to boot.

Our room was rustic Santa Fe with modern touches. The turn down service was wonderful and we enjoyed the nightly mints on our pillows and the morning paper.

The valet parking was a wonderful option given how quickly the streets fill up that time of year.

The lobby, restaurant, bar and other nooks were clean, eclectic and charming... everything you want and expect when visiting this art mecca.

The real shining star for us was, however, Sam the bartender (as he requested to be called). After a chilly morning tour of the city my wife and I enjoyed a mimosa in the lobby while reading when Sam struck up a conversation with us about our stay and how we were finding the resort and city. Then Sam invited us to bar should we like and having no schedule and enjoying our conversation we took him up on the offer. We then spent 5 hours (not an exaggeration) ensconced in the art of people watching (simply the best in Santa Fe) and drink selection and creation! We shared our best concoctions with him as he let us taste his best discoveries as well. Guests started to come by as our laughter ensued and began to order our newly created libations with enthusiasm! We lost track of time, learned a lot about Santa Fe and had some of the best laughs of our 2014.

As a tourist in a destination city such as Santa Fe a traveler wants to appreciate the city's depth and color, but often on limited time. La Posada offered just the right mix of old and new (look out for their coming remodel!) with both relaxation and excitement, if you follow the invites! My wife and I (as guests as well as a same-sex couple) felt welcomed, warm and accepted at every turn.

We will certainly return to La Posada in the future to experience its charm and delights and catch up with our friend Sam!

When you go, as you should, go to the bar and order a drink called "The Girls".... you won't be disappointed in it or your stay.

All the best,
A. Jones (Flagstaff, AZ)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a great review. We agree that crackling lobby fireplace is magical and glad you enjoyed Sam, He is a great asset to the hotel and it will be our pleasure to pass along your compliments.
Billings, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at La Posada Dec. 30-Jan. 2. Let me start by saying that we are not hard to please, understand that mistakes happen and aren't quick to judge the whole place by just a couple things. I've never submitted a review before, but feel it is my civic duty to spare someone else our experience. We have stayed in many hotels and resorts that bill themselves as "luxury" (in fact had made a reservation at the Four Seasons but later decided to join friends at La Posada...sure wish we'd have stuck with our original plan!).

The hotel had emailed us info stating our check-in time was 2:00 pm. We checked in about 4:30 and were sent with our bags to our room (145--don't stay there...heat doesn't work). When we got to the room, the maid was just getting started, so we left our bags outside and went back to the bar for a drink. When we got back to the room, I was surprised at how shabby and dated the furnishings were. A window above the chipped up desk had its screen hanging down behind the desk attached by just one corner. I guess that stuff happens, but it remained that way for the next 3 days. We were glad to see an in-room coffee maker, but there was only one coffee cup. Also only one robe hanging in the closet. No big deal, I just called the front desk and asked if we could get a second mug and robe. She said, 'of course'. About an hour later we walked down to the lobby to ask the valet to get our car. (Oh, yeah, on the way we noticed the same little black garbage can sitting on the sidewalk that had been there when we first walked to the room. That garbage can sat out there for our entire stay...someone only moved it off the sidewalk and set it next to the sidewalk! Three days and not a single employee thought to pick it up??). As we were waiting for our car, we again asked the front desk clerk if we could get another coffee cup and robe. Again, we were told they would bring them. After dinner off-site (they very nicely drove us to dinner in their courtesy van, but when we called for a return ride back to the hotel we were told they'd be there in 15 minutes; 20 minutes later called again; no answer and no answer at the main desk for the next 20 minutes; called again and were told they'd be there in 15 minutes. Well, you guessed it...we eventually walked back to the hotel. Again, we're not hard to please...we would've walked or called a cab, if they had just told us upfront). A few hours later, back at the room, still no cup or robe, but the room was freezing! 62 degrees, so I turned the heat up to 72. Later, 75. Later 80. That forced air ran non-stop 24 hours a day and that room never got above 62 degrees! Still no second robe or coffee cup. O.K., we'll just hang the breakfast card on the door and have coffee sent to us. Card states "hang on doorknob before 3:00 am." We noted our request for a large pot of coffee and TWO cups for 6:30 am and hung it on the door about 10 pm. Next morning, 6:45 and still no coffee. Finally at 7:00 my husband opened the door and there was our card, still hanging on the doorknob, BUT they had come by and tucked the morning newspaper into the doorknob RIGHT NEXT to the card they never picked up!

After taking turns with the coffee cup, my husband went to the fitness center. When he came back he said there were three other men down there and ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of them were complaining. (One of the guys said the only reason he was in the fitness center was that there was no hot water in his room!)

At that point, we felt like the manager should be made aware of these things. We went to the lobby and asked to talk to the manager. Daviz listened carefully, made notes and apologized. Even after a face-to-face with the manager, we never did get another robe or coffee cup in 3 days. We were supposed to stay four days, but were so sick of it, we left after 3. To be fair, the manager took $250 off of our bill, but that was still a mighty expensive room that was on par with a very old Holiday Inn.

Maybe it will be better after their $5 million remodel, but right now, they should not be billing themselves as a luxury hotel...they're far from it.

Room Tip: Skip the whole place, but if you must go, unless you are a polar bear, do not accept Room 145.