It seems that reviewers of La Posada either love it or hate it. Let me try to put these dichotomy of reviews in perspective.
If you like it, you do so for its charm, its history, it wide variety in terms of rooms, and its quirkiness. I like it for all these reasons.
If you dislike it, you will do so because it is unpredictable--both in terms of room quality and service. Although the rooms are gradually undergoing an upgrade, the shape and size of rooms vary greatly. Bathrooms can be roomy or small. Outside doors can be leaky or tight. Sitting rooms that are apart from bedrooms can be awkwardly sized and shaped. Nothing can be done about these peculiarities except to tear the place down and start over, which would ruin its charm and history. Due to its layout, the free Wi-Fi is spotty.
If you are expecting great service, you will likely be disappointed. The hotel is under new management, and the new management team has a lot to learn. Some staff are friendly and helpful. Some staff are downright rude. Special room requests (which are common due to repeat customers who prefer a particular room) often seemed to be ignored or lost. One couple recently stayed there and changed rooms three times (the first one was still undergoing upgrades and was thus not ready for occupancy, the second had no heat, and the third, which they kept, was in need of upgrading, e.g., the mattress was bow-shaped so the couple was forced to sleep close to one another in the middle of the bed, which might be just what some couples want! Another couple had specially requested the same room that they have enjoyed year after year, but the staff, who knew of the request, did not inform the couple in advance that the room would not be available due to remodeling. Our room was so recently upgraded that some of the new furniture was still stacked in the room, awaiting placement. We requested a humidifier (a good idea in Sana Fe in the winter), but the person who delivered it did not seem to realize that that she plugged it into a switched outlet. When we called to advise that the humidifier was not working, she brought a second. It did not work until we discovered the problem ourselves. When we checked out after our stay, the valet gave us the wrong car! Because we had rented a car, I almost did not catch the error. The restaurant will undergo a major redo. It used to be excellent. The dinner we had in early January was mediocre. I am hopeful that the restaurant will return to its old standard of quality. Try the homemade granola for breakfast--it is the best granola ever!
Hopefully the new management will strive to improve service over current practices.
In conclusion, the best way to describe La Posada is that it is charming. I like it for this reason even though I am generally a creature of habit when it comes to hotels. Generally, when it comes to hotels, I don't like surprises--good or bad--as I travel mostly on business. But I like La Posada, even though it is full of surprises--both good and bad. And its location, not far from the historic plaza is hard to beat. It is within walking distance of almost everywhere you might want to go.
When in Santa Fe, be sure to go to Tia Sophias for breakfast. It is where the locals go. It is excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, is affiliated with Starwood Hotels and Resorts and participates in the SPG loyalty program. "The Art Hotel of Santa Fe", is a historic property and the only resort downtown. Nestled on six acres in the heart of Santa Fe, just steps from the historic Plaza and Canyon Road, La Posada is the ultimate destination for leisure and business travel with exquisite indoor and outdoor venues for groups, meetings, weddings, and social events. Discover a captivating blend of adobe-style architecture and local artwork, a year-round outdoor pool, exceptional spa, award-winning cuisine and genuine hospitality from our seasoned professionals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Starwood, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Posada De Santa Fe Hotel Santa Fe
- La Posada De Santa Fe Resort And Spa