Save Saved
You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Kansas City, Missouri
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at La Posada de Santa Fe. The breakfast was outstanding My husband ordered the Southwest Omelet and he said it was the best omelet he has ever eaten. I ordered the Skinnie Mini Bennie and it too was the best breakfast I have ever eaten. Our compliments to the chef. The weather in Santa Fe was cool when were were there. We would like to have been able to open the window to allow some fresh air into the room, but we couldn't get the window open. The air flowing out of the air-conditioning vent landed right on my face while I was trying to sleep, resulting in a sleepless night. The landscaping was beautiful.

Room Tip: If you like to be able to open a window to allow fresh air in the room, ask for a room with windows...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Sioux Falls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We have been to Santa Fe many times over the past 30 years or so, and La Posada has always been our first choice place to stay. We most recently stayed at June 24-29, 2014, and are so thrilled that they have become a Starwood Luxury Collection property. The grounds are so beautiful, and we just feel such peace the minute we enter the property. We stayed in a king room with a fireplace and a private patio which was lovely. We appreciated the luxurious, fluffy, huge new towels, as well as the double sink vanity, lighted make-up mirror, scale, and large glass-enclosed shower with adjustable shower head in the roomy bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were top notch as well. We had 2 large armoires with plenty of room to unpack for 5 nights plus hide our luggage inside. Sitting on the private patio was a relaxation highlight each day and evening.

In contrast to some recent reviews, our check-in was very smooth. We arrived at about 11am, knowing that check in was not until 4pm. We completed a pre-check-in and went to lunch. Sarala called before we finished lunch and said we could pick up our key at our convenience. She did, however, fail to offer us our welcome gift as Starwood Gold members. We were in the lobby on several occasions over our stay, and everyone we encountered was very friendly, professional, and helpful.

We had dinner reservations one night at Fuego. We received a call in the afternoon that a wedding party had booked the entire dining room and patio until 7 pm, so they would be serving dinner in the bar instead. Since we really preferred to sit outside, we chose to wait until 7, so we could do that. Another customer was really angry about this, but we really didn't see it as a problem. At 7, however, we were told we could not be seated outside. We had booked our reservation 2 weeks earlier through Open Table and management had only realized they had a problem 24 hours earlier. Our problem with the issue is that they did not notify us at that time, so we could have made reservations somewhere else. (This was a Saturday night). At this point, we asked to speak with someone in charge of food services, and were greeted promptly by Patricia, who was new to her job, but very professional and very good at service recovery. She arranged for a private table to be set up on the patio, placed flowers on it, comped our drinks and desert, and we ended up thoroughly enjoying our delicious tamales on this beautiful evening. This situation was a total failure however, on the part of the Food and Beverage Manager who should have foreseen the problem and contacted resort guests who had dinner reservations LONG before the short notice that we received.

Anytime we phoned for service (housekeeping or ice), no one was inclined to respond to our request with any speed or accuracy. I spoke with Kat one night, asking for ice, and when it still hadn't been delivered 40 minutes later I phoned again and was told that they had just sent the request. Although they told me that the only way to get ice was for them to deliver it, I found an ice machine near room 200 and from then on, we got our own ice. Turndown service was only provided one night without prompting from management.

Housekeeping personnel regularly took breaks on the benches near our room, talking loudly and flirting with each other. We felt this was rather unprofessional.

One final comment is that we thought Starwood properties became completely smoke free in 2008, but no one is enforcing this at La Posada, as we observed people smoking on the property daily.

Over all, we had a wonderful time in Santa Fe, but were somewhat disappointed with La Posada as detailed above. We will definitely consider staying here again, but only if we are convinced that the Luxury Collection standards are being met. We were impressed with the visibility of room managers, Scott and Jason, and their eagerness to make sure we had a good experience, in spite of communication issues within the organization. We love this property and really want to see it be top notch and become deserving of the 16000 SPG points that are now required per night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

La Posada de Santa Fe is located in the heart of Santa Fe's historic downtown, a short walk to the lovely plaza. Set amidst 6 acres of grounds it combines local architecture, beautiful landscape and lots of art. Paintings adorn the lobby and bar, artists paint on the patio, and sculptures are nestled throughout the landscape. They even have an art curator on staff to educate guests about the art and artists. Georgia O'Keeffe would be in her element here.

Casita rooms are comfortable with soft beds, softer pillows and silky bedding. Many rooms have fireplaces and patios. The food is authentic utilizing local ingredients and flavors with chiles abundantly incorporated into the cuisine.

The spa has relaxing treatments and if you are prone to altitude sickness, try their oxygen treatment when you arrive to feel refreshed. The Chocolate chile pedicure and wrap are some of the more popular treatments. The pool is a great place to lounge or swim in the saltwater and enjoy a cocktail.

Service is enthusiastic and attentive. They even offer a free shuttle to take you to the plaza or within a few miles of the hotel. There is so much to do in Santa Fe: historic walking tours, art galleries, museums, restaurants, shopping, opera, outdoor activities and the list goes on.

I can't wait to come back and spend more time in Santa Fe and at La Posada.

Room Tip: In winter request a fireplace room in summer request a patio
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ada, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This place exceeded my expectations. Everything about it was beautiful..the restaurant, lobby, spa, grounds and our room. The staff was great. They gave us a discount since it was my birthday, brought me out a beautiful and free dessert after my birthday dinner there and ever sang to me. At the end of our stay, I met one of the managers in the lobby and was telling him how wonderful our stay was and asked where I could purchase one of their bed pillows (the beds there were one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in in my life!) and he GAVE me one! Will definitely stay here again!! :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Staying here now with family for a conference. Annual event that picks a new luxury resort and spa each year. This, by far, is the most disappointing. We got checked in around 1:30 but rooms weren't ready. They promised to call as soon as they were available. We decided to eat lunch at the restaurant in the main building and we stood there for 10 MINUTES waiting on the hostess to seat us. We asked to see the menu and it wasn't to our liking at that moment so we decided to go someplace else. We asked for some ideas of where to go and the hostess guided us to the concierge who was on the phone for another 5 minutes so we just left and started walking.

Rooms are small and smell funny. Large stains on the carpet. Don't bring many clothes with you, as there's no place to unpack them! Two TINY drawers that will hold underwear only. And closet only has 10 hangers, which isn't sufficient for 3 people with only underwear drawer space. I decided to call the front desk to ask for more hangers but the phone didn't work. I caught someone from housekeeping in the courtyard and he quickly returned with more hangers for us, which we appreciated. Phone issue was also fixed quickly.

Bathrooms are nice and look recently updated. Location is great, within a couple blocks to the Plaza. But overall, it's not a "luxury" resort and spa and is overpriced.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have come to Santa Fe for years and always wanted to stay here. Once it became a SPG I booked. I then read the reviews and was really worried but am so glad I went ahead with the trip. As soon as I booked we had calls from the concierge to help with anything and the room was fantastic. The checkin person was a little off but i think she was just tired. The valet people were great.

Bottom line-it is still one of the better hotels in Santa Fe.

Stayed July 2014
WA State
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this substandard hotel a few blocks from La Plaza. Apparently, in Mid-May, the hotel became not only a Starwood Hotel, but a Luxury Collection hotel within Starwood. Believe me, it is neither. It is more like a 1957 Howard Johnson’s hotel on pretty grounds. Yes, the grounds are pretty and the common rooms (lobby, restaurant) feature many pieces of art, befitting the location in Santa Fe. However, after that, you are in their chamber of horrors, including: A room with a dangerously unhealthy musty smell, torn, burn marked, stained 1950's style carpets, stained 20 year old leather couch, worn out furniture--none matching. The inner courtyards had trash, cigarette butts, dirty plastic cups rolling around outside the door of your unit and unswept debris. Inadequate bathroom size and amenities, and I can go on and on from there. Of course, we asked to be switched from that room, but the new room wasn’t much better, as we exchanged that musty smell for a dangerously unhealthy creosote-like smell from the quaint Keva fireplace. And, remember, these rooms were one bedroom suites, not the ‘average’ room. Who knows how bad the ‘average’ room might be? The plumbing and air conditioning worked fine but there was a mouse dropping on the bathroom floor and tile that looked suspiciously unclean and old. All in all, my recommendation is plain: Do not be fooled by the Luxury Collection moniker or the pretty grounds. You can’t put lipstick on a pig, and this place reminded me of a sty. And, as a final indignation, they really try to mirror a ‘roach hotel’ by making it quite difficult (long lines) at the registration desk. You can check in, but it is really tough to check out. There were two people (not fast) at the check out desk and one not busy at all concierge across from them. The restaurant food was some of the worst we had while staying in Santa Fe. The mesquite chicken tasted like it was boiled with no spices. Bland bland bland. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: "To get a good room, DON'T STAY HERE!"
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear ActiveTraveler1,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I apologies for the items you experienced during your stay with us. If it is possible I would like to touch base with you personally. I have included my number below and would appreciate any time you might be able to give me to review this experience.

At your service,

Ben Tutt
(505)-954-9610

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!